Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Merino wool socks. What's good out there?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

My riding buddy suggested woolie boolie socks, but I can’t find them on Wiggle.

I’m not after anything sporty, just a durable warm sock for all day riding in Scotland. That usually includes rain.

motozulu
    Free Member

He’s right too. Got mine from ebay – £12.

The only socks that have genuinely kept my feet warm through the winter.

househusband

Must admit that I have been most happy with the WB’s I bought several years ago; they do get worn for cycling more than any other. I bought mine from Krank Dirtwear in New Zealand as they were so much cheaper than the UK… an American sock bought from NZ and sent to the UK.

niloC
    Free Member

I use these Garburn socks

Drac

Bamboo socks by far the most comfiest, warmest most breathable sock I’ve had.

khegs
    Free Member

+1 wooly boolys got 3 pairs, get worn for cycling & everything else

warm in winter, cool(ish) in summer, comfy & hard wearing

evans sell them as well, here and here

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Smartwool is my pick. Have ski, bike and walk ones. All v good.

Frankers
    Free Member

Save our Soles merino socks from On One

I also have Woolie Boolie and Smartwool for winter and the Garburn socks for spring and autumn

The SOS socks are thinner and nice for spring summer

HERE

theotherjonv

What size foot are you? I’ve got a pair of Woolie Boolies languishing in my bottom drawer somewhere that got through a too hot wash and have shrunk. they’re fine in terms of function, but no longer fit my size 10 feet with any toe wiggle room. If anyone wants them for the cost of postage stuck in a collecting pot next time you see one – first dibs on here gets them.

Since swapped for a three pack of On-one / Planet X thickies – not as warm i don’t think but still pretty good, and for the cost……

matt_outandabout

Longest lasting, and snug and warm ones I have are Alpkit. Icebreaker are warmer and softer, but do not wear so well or fit so snugly. I walk in Alpkit; lounge in camp in Icebreaker.

bobbyspangles

dibs on those shrunken socks please!

aa
    Free Member

woolie boolies are a great sock and are resistant to my toe nails which eat through sock guy socks with alarming ease. Woolie ators are also very good and imo a slighty better summer option as they’re a lighter blend.
    Rapha’s merino socks are also nice, thinner than de feets, but, so far the only sign of wear is a bit of bobbling (they’re about 2 years old).

Imo, the raphas fit nicer but the de feets look better given the same wear over the same period. I also prefer a thinner sock.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

on-one merino socks are good and cheap.

BoomBip
    Free Member

Smartwool is my pick. Have ski, bike and walk ones. All v good.

Yes!

fathomer

Anyone who has both, how thick are the woolie boolies compared with the on one thickies?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks folks.

Tracey

On one have offers on three pairs of thick or thin for £7.99. They work well for us

theotherjonv

Bobby, drop me an email with your address, and once i find them, they’re yours.

theotherjonv

Or did you already, and is your name really alex?

bobbyspangles

yup

honourablegeorge

Find Woolie Boolies insanely warm in any conditions, but lighter Defeet socks like the Wool-e-ator are ACE

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

+1 for Garburn socks. Great fit and well made.

grum
    Free Member

I really like my On One merino socks but I dunno how warm they are – pretty thin.

Northwind

Woolie bollies are great, and last well too, though a bit hot for this time of year. Endura baa baas are alright for thin ones but don’t last well.

I really rate the old Fox ones, they’re still available some places on big discounts but they’re more or less out of stock now

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Merino wool socks. What's good out there?’ is closed to new replies.