Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Merino Wool base layers
  • futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I generally wear a poly/merino mix material called Sportwool -Rapha make a really good one, their lightweight short sleeve Jersey – I combine this with Rapha winter jersey and bib shorts – unless it's really cold (like today – 3deg and a strong wind) then I use an IB 200g baselayer – plenty warm enough and bone dry when I got home.

clubber
    Free Member

It's not that it's rougher when damp but rather that your skin gets softer so I reckon any movement of the jersey over the skin seems to end up rubbing badly enough to leave scabs as it heals.

Now admittedly that was wearing bib shorts over the top and a waterproof jacket so not the most breatheble combo but this never happens with normal jerseys.

Philby

For those of you with large budgets and the need for a bit of exclusivity look no further than http://www.untouchedworld.com/ – apparently is fantastic quality (although should be at those prices) and made in New Zealand.

thebunk

Merino definitely stays warm when wet – I wore my BaaBaa under a wetsuit off the Welsh coast on Sunday – everyone else was definitely feeling the cold more than me and I'm normally the first to complain!

mcboo
    Free Member

Another Icebreaker fan…..have really put their prices up though, I think £50 or more now for a zipped long sleeve?

I bought a 3 pack of Rapha merino base for £100 in Dec. Gave one to a very happy mate for Xmas. Are very thin, maybe a bit fragile but really lovely. Look the nuts too……off white very nice.

mcboo
    Free Member

http://www.rapha.cc/base-layer-3-pack

….bit of homo-eroticism for you all…..

Crivvens
    Free Member

Choc Fish stuff is also made in New Zealand and less expensive than Untouched World, but the company is UK-based. You have to be careful of buying from outside the EU. Anything valued at more than £18 (and that includes the postage) can have tax and duty added on by UK customs, and the carrier can add on a wacking percentage or fee for "handling". A mate of mine got caught that way. Also if you have to send it back cos it doesn't fit, or you don't like it, you've got even more to shell out. Buy in the EU zone – it's safer.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Merino Wool base layers’ is closed to new replies.