Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Merino t-shirt
  • thenorthwind

My favourite riding top is a pure merino t-shirt I bought in Aldi yonks ago. Nothing fancy, just a loose-ish fitting normal t-shirt. It’s getting a bit worn and holey, and covered in stains (no idea what sort of mud I rode through to stain it, but it ain’t shifting).

Where can I buy another such holy grail? I don’t want a base layer. I don’t want an “active fit”. Also don’t really want to pay £50 for a t-shirt. Would rather it wool from a non-mulesed source, but I realise having a budget AND ethics might be a bit of a contradiction.

reeksy

Howie’s summer sale on now has a merino shirt I think… might just for your budget?

hardtailonly

Decathlon hiking merino t-shirts. £20 IIRC … I’m in a similar boat, wear my Aldi merino t all the time, and could do with a couple more.

simon_g

Sportpursuit have loads of different Isobaa ones at £30. Plenty from some other brands like Icebreaker too.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for Sportpursuit – they have lots of merino t-shirt options from various brands

jonnybike
    Free Member
    hatter

I find cheap merino a bit of a false economy as it’s rarely comfy and tends to bobble up quite quickly, even if washed carefully.

Mons Royale and Howies are both good in that respect but you will have to find them on sale.

luket

I favour icebreaker from sport pursuit. I find they hold their shape over many years, where my old howies one (current ones may be better) turned into a dress after a few years, and don’t bobble up, which my isobar ones have tended to. Also have a mons royale one which is excellent so far.

They will of course all get big holes in after you crash in them.

nickc

The best I’ve found are the 7mesh ones (I think it’s called something naff like Desperado) it comes in both long sleeve and short sleeved versions. Cut well, no bobbling, hangs like a regular tee shirt, can be washed at 40degs with everything else, keeps its shape. Not cheap, (about £60.00 for the short sleeved) but is v well made and is “go to” for pretty much everything from riding to walking or just hanging about. I’ve certainly had my money’s worth out of it.

LeeW

Another vote for Sportpursuit, I don’t really like the Isobaa ones. I do have three Supernatural ones which are superb in comparison.

thenorthwind

Some good recommendations, thanks. £30 is about as much as I’d want to spend now I think about putting a number on it. Howies sadly only have a white one. The Sweet Protection ones sound good, but no stock in my size.

Sportspursuit looks to be a good shout. A few to choose from but I’ll probably end up trying one of the Isobaa ones.

Cheers.

matt_outandabout

We bought a Sweet one and it shrunk first wash – despite being only 40*c. Iirc, it’s a cold handwash.
    On the other hand my Patagucci just gets bunged in with all the rest of the washing, and no problems.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Smartwool also have a sale on just now. Full merino tshirts for about 30ish.
    I like the decathlon ones, but they’re 70/30 merino/synthetic if you’re after full merino

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.