Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Merino socks worth it ?
  • oldfart

As i’m a skinflint should i just buy 3 pairs of wool rich socks for a fiver from Sainsburys ?

ciderinsport
    Free Member
    d45yth
    Free Member

Get the thinnest merino you can get and wear under some sealskins. Well worth whatever it costs…you need plenty of space in your shoes though!

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

In a word, yes. I spent 2 very miserable winters with cold, wet feet before I discovered merino socks. Yes, they are expensive, but I can honestly say every penny was well spent. They are now the first thing I reach for as soon as the temperature drops.

Wash at 40 and DO NOT put in the tumble dryer, just hang over the radiator. Winter suddendly becomes bearable again.

In fact I’m going to go and buy another pair, right now.

nasher
    Free Member

I wear woolie boolie merino socks all year.

Im a guide in Italy and keep my feet cool and sweat/smell free in 30+ heat and nice and warm in UK winters…

Definitely worth it

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

use them all the time now even as normal soxs. Enduro merino

honourablegeorge

Defeet Wooleators – find them brilliant. Dunno how nasher wears woolie boolies all year, mind – have oen pair of them, find them super warm.

Regardless – Defeet socks – worth the money. Have gone through three packs of Troy Lee, Endura and other brands in no time, but the Defeets jsut last forever.

eshershore
    Free Member

my local ski shop was shutting down due to on-line competition, I did a deal with the owner where I took a good numbers of pairs of Teka Merino organic wool socks off his hands at a special price

2 years on, I use them every day, I have shorter length and slightly lighter weight socks for regular riding and commuting, and full length (knee) and heavier weight socks for bad weather mountain biking

best clothing purchase I have made in years, and I’ve started buying Endura Baa Baa Merino clothing like their base layers, which are proving much better in performance than similar style synthetic products

golfcurry
    Free Member

Me too.

Taz

All year round here too

Woolie Boolie’s. Great piece of kit

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Smartwool merino for me – all year round too, and they last for years, just about to bin a 4 year old pair!

Spin
    Free Member

Waste of money.

Try the Alkit ones 3 pairs for £15.

tang
    Free Member

I get free socks from sponsor. Got ones for all seasons, love them.

njee20
    Free Member

+1, awesome socks.

Got some Endura BaaBaas too which are pretty good, much thinner.

MoreCashThanDash

Get some Costco/Kirkland merino mix “Trail” socks – 3 or 4 pairs for a tenner if you are a member, usually £12-15 when sold on via eBay – nice and warm, even when a little damp.

singlespeedstu

I was a massive fan of the Woolie Boolie’s.

Then i got some Rapha winter merino socks.

I don’t think i’ll be wearing the Woolie Boolies again.

TiRed

M&S Merino – 3 for £12. Don’t hold their shape brilliantly, but fine for cycling. Available in black.

dh
    Free Member

Gooutdoors have 20% off all the stuff atm as well btw…

ssjeff
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

I get free socks from sponsor. Got ones for all seasons, love them.

You’re a crap sponsee, you’re meant to say “they’re brilliant, here’s their link” – they don’t give you stuff so you can not tell people about it 🙄

crispedwheel
    Free Member

All year round here too

Woolie Boolie’s. Great piece of kit
    same here – on the xmas list.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Woolie Boolies all year round + 1

Bought 4 pairs of Krank woolie boolie xl from NZ, worn twice max if any one is interested, fits size 11/12 slightly smaller than defeets own version £7 a pair posted http://www.krankdirtwear.com/products/gloves-and-socks/woolie-boolies.html

Markie
    Free Member

Woolie Boolies all year plus another one!

mikey74
    Free Member

I can recommend M&S merino socks, 3 pairs for 10-12 quid. They are a bit slippery to begin with but are fine after a wash or two.

BigJohn

Rapha merino winter socks over Rapha merino summer socks is the way forward.

I used to get cold feet.

tang
    Free Member

I am under no contractual obligation to do so njee, but just for you
    http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/wall/socks/men

njee20
    Free Member

Well of course you’re not, but it’s a bit stupid to be benefitting from sponsorship of a product, but not even tell anyone what it is! It’s not ‘just for me’ – it’s for the benefit of the company giving you free stuff 🙄

As it is, I wasn’t aware of them, but I’ve looked at the link, and would consider purchasing them. That’s why they give you them!

TooTall
    Free Member

Woolie boolies for the bike, Smartwool for the hike.

tang
    Free Member

Dont worry they get plenty of work out of me! I can recommend the springwater for riding, not so much for winter but spring/summer/race. Btw njee you have used the words crap, stupid and two eye rolls in your posts, point taken but rudeness not. Relax dude.

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member
    njee20
    Free Member

Btw njee you have used the words crap, stupid and two eye rolls in your posts, point taken but rudeness not. Relax dude.

Not really called you stupid, or crap though, just thought it was a little daft! I’ll relax though, don’t worry 🙂

tang
    Free Member

No worries njee. x

soobalias
    Free Member

the bikemaps ones

best socks ever, cant see me buying anthing else for active duties.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Merino socks worth it ?’ is closed to new replies.