Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Merino cycling jersey recommendations, NOT roadie fit
  • a11y

My 10+ year old Endura Baa Baa merino cycling jersey has succumbed to moths, gutted. Although a merino blend it was the best bit of kit I had for commuting and I’m keen to replace it.

Looking for:
    – jersey-style with half-zip on the front (although non-zip not a deal-breaker)
    – not a ‘race’ fit
    – thicker than standard merino baselayers if possible
    – high merino content, ideally
    – not fussed about pockets etc as I’ll be carrying a bag most times

The Alpkit Kepler is the closest in style I’ve found so far in my limited searching. Doesn’t look to have hems/cuffs that are overly tight and the overall fit is more casual than race cut.

Is there anything else similar worth looking at?

Thanks.

continuity
    Free Member

Torm

If you don’t want it to fit you, then just buy a size or two sizes too big.

ElShalimo

Pearl Izumi and Endura do merino blend jerseys

goodgrief
    Free Member

Mons royale? There’s some decent discounts on Westbrook cycles

matt_outandabout

I am enjoying my Alpkit one at present – and currently in the sale. I am hoping for a Torm at Christmas…

Kepler Velo Long Sleeve [Mens]

hardtailonly

I bought a couple of Rapha merino polo shirts off ebay recently, which are quite nice. If I commute gently enough, they’re good enough for the office (we’ve a fairly relaxed dress code where I work)

Decathlon do these

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/gravel-cycling-merino-wool-polo-shirt/_/R-p-334358

I’ve one of the Alpkit ones too, it’s OK, but anything in the rear pockets does sag it down a lot.

StirlingCrispin

Ground Effect:

Merino Tops

militantmandy
    Free Member

Mons are great but expensive. Mine have lasted incredibly well though. Go dark colours or you’ll get nice sweat patches!

Colin-T

I’m very happy with all my Alpkit Merino.

a11y

Thanks for all the suggestions, the Torm stuff looks really nice especially. I’m going to try the Alpkit one – I’ve got a mini warehouse of their clothing already (says Mrs a11y) and happy with it all so far.

luket

I’ve got 2 of the alpkit ones too. As above, a phone in the pocket and it hangs down a long way. Even my minimal windproof sags it a fair bit, so the pockets aren’t very useful. Annoying but in other respects they are nice to wear in a sort of “obviously a cycling top but not roadie fit” kind of way.

frankconway

There’s probably something on the Planet X website.

hatter

+1 for Mons, they’re really nice.

Howies merino Tees are also good for riding of you want a more casual look.

TheFlyingOx

Another +1 for Mons Royale. Normally get mine at end-of-season sales on futureproof.life website because, yeah they can be a bit spendy

tall_martin

I’ve had 2 mons royale long sleeved tops that have been worn autumn to spring for the last 4 years.

Spendy, but I’d buy them again! One was on sale, one was a Christmas present. The newer one is a bit thicker.

LAT

ice breaker t shirts may fit the bill.

jameso

Endura Urban merino LS is a nice top, I rate it. I’ve also used plain merino jumpers from TK Maxx or similar, £25 or so for a thin merino top seems good. Torm tops look good.
    For a summer merino T, Decathlon Travel 100 ts are hard to beat. £20. Mine’s lasted ages and a few bike trips.

scotroutes

There are some merino blend Rivelo tops on SportPursuit at the moment.

alan1977
    Free Member

i always go for atight fitting merino base, and the jersey of choice on top
    for commuting ive got a DHB half zip, slightly relaxed fit, dayglo.. good combination with a merino vest

a11y

i always go for atight fitting merino base, and the jersey of choice on top

I do similar for the colder months with a snug merino baselayer with either a jersey or softshell over the top, but find that too warm for the summer months. I’m not a pretty sight with just a snug-fitting merino base, hence swapping to a more casual, jersey-style merino for a few months a year!

ElShalimo

@a11y – what did you buy in the end?

I’m looking for a merino long sleeve jersey to fit my relaxed geometry

soundninjauk

I’m looking for a merino long sleeve jersey to fit my relaxed geometry

It’s not relaxed, it’s endurance.

Another vote for Howies merino tshirts here anyway.

a11y

@a11y – what did you buy in the end?

@ElShalimo
    , I tried the Alpkit Kepler but sadly it wasn’t what I was looking for: still a bit of a roadie fit with a snug-fitting hem around the bottom (XL on me at 188cm, 35″ waist and 88kg). Then tried the DHB Trail merino jersey, but again returned as sizing way off (XL was like a sail on me). Currently just using a short-sleeve Nukeproof merino baselayer I already had – most of the time I’ve got a gilet or jersey over the top of it anyway, so the tight-looking aspect isn’t a big issue.

So still on the hunt for a replacement for my Endura Baa Baa merino bike top.

fruitbat

These here Madison tops might be worth a try. I have Endura Baa Baa in large and the Madison in large is a similar fit.

ElShalimo

Thanks, that’s worth knowing. I’m 186cm, 94kg and 36/37″ waist (I hate mixing units 🙃)

tallb0y
    Free Member

+1 for Torm. Superb quality, comfortable and clearly made by someone who understands the requirements of a cyclist i.e. pockets you can actually put your phone in etc.

gkeeffe

I like this top for riding in.

Norrona falketind equaliser merino

CHB

I miss Embers Merino. Not found a brand yet that is equal. Suggestions?

ElShalimo

Findra ?

murdooverthehill

Fohn, good choice of styles and thickness.

ElShalimo

Isn’t Fohn walking/hiking gear?

ElShalimo

Galibier have just launched a new merino blend short sleeved jersey/t-shirt

“Wool Liberte T”

ElShalimo
    boardmanfs18

Got a Showerspass apex merino tech tee, seems very comfortable and light, not cheap but currently on sale.

thenorthwind

I bought a Vulpine CC merino top off Sports Pursuit recently. No zip or pockets, so it’s a t-shirt rather than a jersey really (which is what I wanted) but it does have a slight drop tail for riding, which is good.

qwerty
    Free Member
    Atomizer

Any idea if Torm are made in the UK? I read through their website but it was not clear. It all sounded as if it was but not explicitly stated.
    Not my primary issue but would be nice to know.
    I suppose I could actually ask them!

ElShalimo

Reading their Instagram posts it suggests they sew them together from the piles of bits. It sounds like they do an IKEA style self assembly job

ElShalimo

My lovely wife bought me one of these for my birthday.  It’s not a race fit but is semi-fitted. I’m looking forward to the autumn so I can wear it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.