Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Merida MTB Feed stations
  • churcherian
    Free Member

Has anyone done a Merida MTB marathon so far this year (or past)? I am doing the Selkirk this weekend and was wondering what to expect at the feed stations? Just wondering how much gel / bars to carry and if there is any available at the stations. Cheers.

Mog
    Free Member

Bars, bananas, crisps, cakes and water & high5. No gels though.

FraserCook

I too am doing my first MTB marathon at Selkirk this weekend.

Do most folk only carry enough in their camelbak to get from one feed station to next, or fill up the 3 litres and use feed station when you run out?

how are the Queues likely to be at the feedstation?

[first post ever on Singletrackworld!]

FuzzyWuzzy

Last round I started with just under 3L, went straight past the first stop as it was like 9km in or something. Was running dry by the second stop so topped up to about 2.5L and had about 1L left by the last stop (I did the 70km route) and stuck another litre in there which was plenty to get me to the finish. I guess if your actually racing it you can probably get away with 1.5-2L max in your camelbak and rely on top ups at the feed stations (unless it's really hot).

FraserCook

Racing? nosirreebob!
    Trying to work out the easiest way to get round without being left on the hills in the dark after everyone has gone home.

I have an irrational fear of running out of water and normally have my camelbak full, even if i am just riding a few hours round local hills.

Never done a merida marathon (have done a few Polaris tho) so not sure what to expect.

Smee
    Free Member

The feedstations are pretty good. Queues are ok, bit more of a scrum than a queue. Courses are brilliant, but the may be a wee bit slippy given the torrential rain we've been having.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah the queues were fine at the feed stops, just had a 30-60 second wait for High 5 each time (plenty of space to grab bananas/cake without getting in each other's way). Just don't be one of the muppets that lays their bike down right at the tables :p
    It did surprise me how long it took me to get through the Llanwrytd course though (given the boggy conditions and fair amount of pushing) so I'd probably err on the side of caution regarding water if your trying to cut down on what you carry between stops.

X2
    Free Member

The Mr Kippling jam tarts at the last feed station on the 100k at Llanwrytd made my day!

shinsplints

Crisps.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Jings, you lot drink a lot! I just had 2 x bottles one on the bike and one in the back pocket! Refilled one and binned the empty (near a marshall I know).

IA

I just did it with one bottle last year, but i was aiming to go briskly for a <5 hour*. Though on the long one, there's a bit of a gap between 35 and 70k this year. If I was planning on going slower I'd maybe take more water. Depends how much you drink and if you want to ride with a bag or not I guess.

*crash then cramping scuppered that 🙁

churcherian
    Free Member

Do the feed stations have a big drum of High 5 to refill out of or do they hand out bottles. I seem to remember reading something on the Merida webbo about swapping your old bottles for H5 ones?

IA

It was big drums last year.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah big drums of water and high 5, some feed stations were self-service and others they'd pour it for you :p

Top.Dog
    Free Member

the bottle swap is in the marquee during registration /pasta party at the high 5 stand

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Merida MTB Feed stations’ is closed to new replies.