Merida Bikes (WARNING: Completely subjective content)

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Merida Bikes (WARNING: Completely subjective content)
  • ocrider

FWIW Giant don’t make a 29’er Enduro bike yet either.

mjsmke

OP, this is like saying you don’t like VW but you love Audi.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I own a merida Road bike, I enjoy riding it, it works when I need it to and they’re generally quite sensible about pricing.

As I’m not too worried about masturbating over it, it therefore meets all my criteria for a road bicycle. But I can appreciate that if you’re ‘the sort’ who places a bit more value on the less tangible aspects of a given product, brand “cachet” notions/associations of euro grand tour history (for something probably made in tiawan) then nope Merida probably isn’t for you, buy a Bianchi and pretend to be all Italian if you like 😉

Interesting that you got straight to comparisons with cars, one of the other great modern aspirational/wealth signalling purchases… I’d contend OP (and I’m sure you’ll disagree) that it’s not bikes you particularly like, it’s what people think of you based solely on what they can see of your possessions, Which is fine it’s a life choice available to many of us.

Interesting that you got straight to comparisons with cars, one of the other great modern aspirational/wealth signalling purchases… I’d contend OP (and I’m sure you’ll disagree) that it’s not bikes you particularly like, it’s what people think of you based solely on what they can see of your possessions, Which is fine it’s a life choice available to many of us.

Wow, way to read too much into ‘people like nice things’! People can like bikes AND care about how they look, the two aren’t mutually exclusive, it’s just one more factor in the buying process.

Given the finite number of variables, it’s usually possible to decide on what you want in a bike, then find two or more options, one of which you will probably prefer the look of. This in no way makes you ‘a sort’ 😉

Premier Icon GeForce Junky
    Subscriber

I have a Merida eOne-Sixty 800 and it’s bloody ace. Was a bargain at £3150 and easily better than my previous Levo.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Wow, way to read too much into ‘people like nice things’! People can like bikes AND care about how they look, the two aren’t mutually exclusive, it’s just one more factor in the buying process.

Well Yeah, OK you “Like nice things”, just don’t expect to go trolling with the “I’m basically a snob” line and not get a few bites.

I mean essentially the OP is saying “I don’t like ‘Value price point’ far eastern made bikes for the same reason I don’t like ‘cheap’ Korean cars”…

But you can’t honestly proclaim that to the world and not expect at least a few of us to assume you’re a bit of a “Brand Whore”, which (like I said) is fine, He’s a economically useful, “late-stage capitalism” needs people like the OP to perceive value in and throw money at aspirational brands and products…

Anyway, fair to moderate trollage of us “hair shirt types”: 6/10

philjunior

I get what the OP means. But to me, if I was in the market, I’d buy from a brand like Merida if theirs was the best/up there for whatever type of bike I was after.

They seem like practically the opposite of Sick!. Making stuff for other people then a number of decades later using their actual expertise to sell a few of their own bikes. This can only be a good thing.

IIRC they’re top end road bike, the scultura, was the lightest road bike around, a couple of years ago.

A couple of mates have carbon 160s, very nice.

Premier Icon clubby
    Subscriber

@hols , funny then that my Merida hardtail has coffin profile hydroformed tubes, bent seat tube and an internal cabling system that actually stops cables rattling and keeps them well away from the head tube when turning the bars. Certainly more than just a few welded tubes.

A lot of “boutique” brands could learn a lot from them.

teamslug

I had a Ninety Six 26″er a few years ago and it was a great bike. Top end bike and very light for a full susser. Wouldn’t have a problem owning another but as the OP says the recent designs don’t inspire much or grab my attention.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

I’d contend OP (and I’m sure you’ll disagree) that it’s not bikes you particularly like, it’s what people think of you based solely on what they can see of your possessions

I can honestly say that this is NOT the case, and contend that you made the Freudian leap between cars and bikes too quickly and too far.

I am talking about a completely subjective feeling SOUL; not of perceived status!

So, for example, Suzuki makes small, ‘humble’ cars, and I would have one in a flash. There are a few models I really like. Why? I don’t know. I just perceive them as having a bit of something that other small car, Far Eastern manufacturers don’t have. To me, it’s a bity like saying, “I am not very interested in visiting country X, because I have no interest in the place”, before actually meeting someone from country X who inspires me, and thinking “Actually, maybe I should visit.”

Maybe I will have an experience of Merida that will change my mind. I’m open to it. I was only expressing a very light-hearted thought about perception. Status be damned. 🙂

EDIT: I might also add that the reason I was thinking about them at all, is that my LBS has started carrying them in the last year, and when I go in there to chat, none of the bikes has really captured my imagination.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

OK I take it back, you’re not a brand whore, but I think the key word you used is “perception” and you’re still a marketer’s dream…

None of the products you described have “soul” they have engineered characteristics, things like handling, or terrain feel or aesthetic appeal or whatever qualities designed in, but no “soul” that’s either marketing cobblers or a personal projection on to inanimate objects. We’re all susceptible to it on some level, but honestly a Specialized or a Yeti or Orange has no more or less of a soul than a Merida…

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

you’re still a marketer’s dream…

Now THAT I agree with 100%.

When I was really small, I had a Lego tow truck set with a Shell symbol on the side. Want to guess my favoured petrol station today, in spite of all the highly questionable things Shell has done? [/sheepish emoji]

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I’ll admit to being a bit shallow when it comes to bikes. The looks play a big part in getting my attention in the first place. I was looking for a Jack of all trades style bike and the Silex was recommended. Thing is, it looks bloody awful. I said no to the GT grade for the same reason. I’m not fussed on brand, but I have to like the look of a bike.

I’ve ended up with a Stooge Speedball as my sensible bike though, so do not take my advice at all.

Crikey, that speedball is an ugly bastard of a bike, I’d far rather have a Silex! 🤣🤣🤣

Saccades

Rode an LRS for a few years (first full suss to win xc uci stripes), bought a classic blur which i then dumped to get another lrs.

Loved my meridas.

mboy

Merida make some great bikes.

They also make some pretty bland ones! But then that’s not unlike any of the other major manufacturers these days anyway…

As a company, as someone rightly pointed out, they are pretty much the antithesis of the “cool hip” companies vying for your Instagram likes (like the ill fated Sick Bikes for instance!). What Merida do is substance… From experience of riding, owning and selling Merida’s, you have an issue with your Merida and IT WILL be dealt with quickly, efficiently and with a satisfactory outcome.

Merida are definitely one of, if not the most cautious companies in the bike industry, which many on here will see as their downfall, but I’d argue it’s been their greatest strength. In a world of boom and bust, Merida have grown gradually but steadily in market presence year on year. Their caution is illustrated not only in their designs and their geometry at times, but also in their reluctance to jump on the latest bandwagons until they prove their staying power. So especially as Merida sells a lot more bikes in Europe than the UK, we’re not likely to see any long travel 29ers any time soon (Europe is a lot more reluctant to adopt bigger wheels in long travel applications), their reach figures will remain conservative compared to most, but you can guarantee they’re incredibly well made and will do what you expect them to do… So not very STW I’ll agree with you, but then neither is 90% of the UK bike industry either!

As somebody who’s spent years working in the bike trade too, I’d far sooner buy a Merida than a Trek/Spesh/Giant or any of the other perceived big boys in the bike industry too… The Merida guys are a nice bunch, they’re not pushy and don’t try to stitch their dealers up by making big promises without being able to deliver on them. By contrast you couldn’t pay me to ride a Trek, knowing what I know about them as a company!

EDIT: As for the perception that they don’t/haven’t sponsored any racing… LOL. Well ignoring the current Bahrain/Merida road team, their dedication to sponsoring XC racing particularly in Europe (Gunn Rita Dahle has been riding Merida’s probably longer than most STW forumites have been riding full stop!) has been second to none! Merida’s bike range has never not had high end XC race machines in the lineup, where other brands have dropped their commitment to XC racing, Merida have always kept theirs and continued to sponsor some of the worlds finest athletes…

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Crikey, that speedball is an ugly bastard of a bike, I’d far rather have a Silex!

That’s why it’s great that there is so much choice nowadays. I can have my three top tubes retro machine and somebody else can have the Silex.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

My LBS sells merida, the owner is a mate of mine, so I’ve seen a fair few of their bikes over the years.
    Mostly, they look good in the flesh, and the (several) I’ve ridden have ridden well, my wife has one of their cx bikes, it’s really nice.
    But, i will say, the website does an excellent job of making everything look quite boring.

I used to see absolutely loads of Meridas being ridden around when I lived in Taiwan in the late 90s. I’d never heard of the brand before then. I think in the past their main market was more in the budget end of things but in the last few years they have started looking more and more into the high end market. Their design department is based in Germany ( near the Black Forest) and a friend of mine works there for them and from what I’ve heard it’s a team of real enthusiasts who work very hard. I do see op’s point because of this perceived lack of heritage but in real terms that is meaningless. The bikes they are producing now is all that matters from a consumers perspective. Perhaps they should start using Specialized marketing department!

Saccades

Forgot to say yesterday that their CS is ace too, wanted to know where a bearing set/details could obtained for my bike and a full set arrived through the post FOC.

When #1 child is big enough it’ll get built up again.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

SaxonRider isn’t materialistic, He’s a romantic. If it’s old or is linked to something old, he likes it. He’s also an absolute bike tart 🙂 (all IMHO!)

Me, I’m a pragmatist. If it works well and rides well, I’m in.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

SaxonRider isn’t materialistic, He’s a romantic. If it’s old or is linked to something old, he likes it. He’s also an absolute bike tart

sheepish

Premier Icon mountainman
    Subscriber

Well i have a Big 9 Hardtail NX and love the ride , responsive n lively well put together and well priced.
    Whats Not to LIKE>

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.