Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Merge in turn
  • hels
    Free Member

Another vote for merging at the cones, in turn, Antipodean style, no fuss no hassle. Why for a queue 2 miles back from the obstruction ?

I always drive right to the front and merge across, its not rude its common sense.

I sometimes think peopke like to find things to get all annoyed and self-righteous about so they can make out they have better manners than others.

I also undertake (sounding the horn loudly I should add) and even shock horror make a shielded turn on red every so often when I forget, usually at night in the city. I know these are both illegal but so far have managed to avoid a 17 car pile up.

anagallis_arvensis

so in summary the signs should read, "merge in turn, but dont leave it to the last second you **** bellend"?

D0NK

Ahhhh ok, not realised the merge thing – think that pic up there may be the first "merge in turn" sign I've ever seen – you learn something new everyday and in future won't be getting line with the other sheep. But what about queues for exit slip roads? Can we still abuse those who race down the middle lane then cut in at the last possible moment? 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hels
    Free Member

Drove south of Perth a few years ago on the busy bit of road that goes to Glasgow forget the name, anyways there were road words and there was a sign up saying "don't merge too early it creates obstructions" then signs saying "merge in 300 yards", "merge in 100 yards" etc. For the Numpties.

coffeeking
    Free Member

+1 for the lorry drivers.
    Merging in turn is great in theory & works if everyone does it properly, but you usually get some t**t braking like hell & "merging" at the last possible oportunity – if you are in a truck you've got a lump of gears to go through & use more fuel in stop start traffic so it's better to keep trundling along rather than stop starting caused by the late brake brigade.

The inconveniences of driving a lorry are not other peoples problem, as unpleasant as it may be, it's no excuse for driving like an idiot. I've driven a wagon (fuel tanker actually), only around a carpark, but I am aware of how hard they are to drive (though this was a a skip wagon, so much smaller). But I'm also aware that it only requires 1 gear to comfortably reach the speeds of the queue we were in, so it wasn't a factor in his thinking. Likewise its not good that people dart in at the very last second (though you SHOULD queue up to the cones), but that doesnt excuse other peoples bad driving.

BTW – you joined a queue behind the lorry & got to the obstruction behind the lorry so what is your gripe exactly?

The fact that directly behind me a junction was gridlocked because the single lane of queuing went right back through the junction and beyond, meaning no-one could get out of the other arm of the junction. The fact that that huge amount of wasted space meant that dozens of other people were inconvenienced due to the lorry driver being upset that he chose to drive a slow vehicle for his job (but it's not just lorry drivers that do it), and I wasn't specifically arguing about the one lorry driver, I was moaning at all the idiots sat in the single-lane queue.

People queing in one lane and not merging at the merge point are simple not thinking about it logically and are working on "me first, I'm in the queue now" mentality, not thinking about it rationally. As I say, it's been simulated, tested in real life, in operation for years and is known to be the best method of keepign congestion low while maintaining traffic flow rate.

Come to think of it the lorry driver was actually merging in turn – just the drivers in front had already merged some distance before the lane restriction

I'll add *and not early* to my thread title then 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Merge in turn should be at the cones, but common courtesy says you should do what everyone else in the queue is doing so if everyone merges a mile up, it's polite to do so yourself.

However, I don't give a flying fu(k about politeness. If someone is blocking the right hand lane, to force people to queue with them, I'll undertake them and flick them the Vees.

If nobody is blocking the lane I'll hurtle up to the cones, pulling the old 'one hand shank' at all those idiots who are queing before they have to…. suckers.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Merge in turn should be at the cones, but common courtesy says you should do what everyone else in the queue is doing so if everyone merges a mile up, it's polite to do so yourself.

Not sure its common courtesy, more like sheep mentality 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

but common courtesy says you should do what everyone else in the queue is doing so if everyone merges a mile up, it's polite to do so yourself.

Baaaaaa! Baaaaaa!

Dickyboy

& just how much thanks do you think the lorry driver would have got if they'd trundled up to the head of the queue & "merged" just before the cones?

gonefishin
    Free Member

That happened to me earlier this week. I didn't really think anything of it to be honest and just let him/her in.

40mpg

OK on my way home theres a section of dual carriageway which ends at a roundabout, then single carriageway after.

Theres often a long queue in the inside lane before the roundabout.

Using the theory above, people should drive up the outside lane too and merge on the roundabout? This sometimes happens and means the roundabout becomes blocked with merging cars, no-one can enter it from the left and everyone gets cross.

What is teh forum advice in this instance?

aracer
    Free Member

Using the theory above, people should drive up the outside lane too and merge on the roundabout?

The theory above only applies to the situation above. You have a completely different situation.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Drive up the right hand lane signalling to turn right, one complete lap of the roundabout and voila, you're merging correctly.

allthepies
    Free Member

LOL @ the if you see a queue then join it mentality 🙂 Must be a British thing

coffeeking
    Free Member

& just how much thanks do you think the lorry driver would have got if they'd trundled up to the head of the queue & "merged" just before the cones?

Ahh I see, so we dictate traffic laws by how much thanks people give now, rather than the best way of working? How odd. I personally have absolutely no problem with letting a wagon merge. In fact I'd have sod all chance of stopping it even if I wanted. If I was a child I might want to.

Using the theory above, people should drive up the outside lane too and merge on the roundabout? This sometimes happens and means the roundabout becomes blocked with merging cars, no-one can enter it from the left and everyone gets cross.

What is teh forum advice in this instance?

Use whichever lanes serve the exit (hard to tell without seeing it!). If it has 1 lane exit there is only one correct lane to be in on the roundabout, and likely only one lane before the roundabout. This is just a natural pinchpoint, queueing in other lanes would create restrictions to other directions, and stopping on the roundabout is bad driving anyway as you shouldnt enter a junction without seeing the exit is clear. It is an entirely different situation to the original one I posed.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

aracer – Member

but common courtesy says you should do what everyone else in the queue is doing so if everyone merges a mile up, it's polite to do so yourself.

Baaaaaa! Baaaaaa!

If you are stuck in a line of traffic you can have fun with this by slowly going from side to side in your lane and watch the cars behind do the same 🙂

antigee

you don't really see many merge in turn signs – despite those multimillion pound reminders to check you've button yr pants

and anyway its should be maintain distance and merge in turn
    like most traffic problems its all the tailgating that causes the problem

a couple of 2 lane to single lane sections near me with signs counting down the merge that you can see from 2 miles away they are that big but some cars will insist on passing someone driving 2miles an hour slower than they are and then force into the car length gap that smallbrained people think is an appropriate distance to drive behind the car in front
    hey hoh everyone has to brake

as to roundabouts that merge to one lane wshat really gets me is when people use the right turn lane and then stop dead somewhere short of the roundabout as they try to force their way into the left lane and no its not ignorance of the lane markings/local knowledge

think there was a guy who was banned from using the tyne tunnel because he constantly did it and it showed on the cameras and being a private road he was made an example of

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sorry I wasn't here to answer earlier I have been doing manual labour all day. I know how you guys need my wisdom on driving issues

IMO merge in turn means as you are near or at the coned off area – not half a mile before. sheep all going into the single lane a mile early increases congestion.

aracer
    Free Member

Damn – shouldn't have nailed my colours to the mast so early. Now TJ's agreed with me I can't argue with him!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You must have been right for once 😉

djglover
    Free Member

So why the M4 bus lane, the theory was that displacing the issue of merging from the flyover to a junction back (J3) up the road, where traffic leaves the motorway would alleviate congestion. It doesn't seem to work though it just moved the problem to junction 3!

scuttler

Doesn't matter how many instructions you put up. The morons that queue forever can't see past the end of their bonnet anyway. Now if their satnavs told them to merge in turn….

or to move over from the middle lane…

or even better drive off a cliff.

toys19
    Free Member

My cousin is a traffic cop, I called him about this last night, apparently people regularly get done for obstructing the highway or something like that for blocking the outside lane on the motorway. They catch them on the CCTV and send a patrol car as it causes much longer tailbacks than the system is designed to cope with.

aracer
    Free Member

You must have been right for once

Exactly the words I was thinking of using 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Merge in turn’ is closed to new replies.