Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mere / Deverills route ideas
  • roger_mellie

Howdy

I’ve fancied a ride around the Deverills for a long time since driving past many times. Could anyone offer suggestions/ experience?
    I have Ian White’s Wiltshire guide, which includes a route around White Sheet Hill, but the last ride of his that I did left me questioning a few of his choices, inc direction of travel.
    My Google search has only come up with http://www.ccwwdaonb.org.uk/docs/walks/Aridethroughthedeverills.pdf
    Anyone done this route?

Thanks

cinnamon_girl

I regret not riding around that area when I lived in Wiltshire, reckon it would be lovely. Have some routes in guide books so post up if you want specifics. 🙂

Certain that some chaps will see this and can be of more use, unfortunately I can’t remember the name of the bloke who I’m certain will be able to help.

roger_mellie

Thanks, good to know it has potential 🙂
    Yeah, let me know which guide books you’d recommend and I’ll get involved.
    Cheers

cinnamon_girl

In the Rough Ride Guide Book there’s a 27 mile route starting from Mere that effectively heads west through woodland. It does state that King’s Wood is part of Stour Estate and you’d need to phone for permission, should be free for a one off. It continues through more woodland eventually coming out at Horningsham where you’ll reach open country.

It heads S from Horningsham where you’ll reach a dizzy height of 273 metres. Heads towards Kingston Deverill then picks up a track alongside a gliding club heading W.

Let me know if you want details instructions or a gpx.

I would highly recommend the Wylye Valley area that is effectively E from Mere. Again, fantastic views from very quiet tracks.

Edit: Just checked Ian White’s book and his route encompasses considerably more open country. Which route of his did you not like then? I’ve followed a few of his and have been happy.

Further edit: The cover pic is taken in the Wylye Valley, at the bottom of Stockton Down.

roger_mellie

Ah, great stuff, thanks 🙂 I’ll get the maps out later and have a look at the Rough Ride route you’ve very helpfully summarised above.

The Ian White route I did last was no19 Avebury, Fyfield Down & Barbury Castle. I’m not saying I hated it, it was pleasant enough, but I didn’t enjoy going across the gallops (between points C & D) and I got a bit puzzled by the route coming off Fyfield Down (not his fault I realise!) Mainly though I thought the section up/ along Smeathe’s Ridge up to and including Barbury Castle would be better in the other direction. Maybe I was just having an off day!?

cinnamon_girl

Crossing the gallops is only a very short stretch though and I’d never seen a horse on there! I used a different track at Rockley though. Re Smeathe’s Ridge, the climb meant that the scenery unfolded and you could take it all in. 🙂 There’s invariably people walking along it so perhaps not the best to descend.

Checked my mapping software and found a couple more routes around the Deverills.

Happy to help. 🙂

roger_mellie

Groovy. Feel free to send any routes over on email and I’d be very grateful 🙂 Address in profile.
    Think I’d just got fed up of the climb on Smeathe’s, but you’re prob right, descending it would mean the views would be over quickly.

cinnamon_girl

gpx’s sent. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mere / Deverills route ideas’ is closed to new replies.