Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Mercedes Vito vans
  • wobbem
    Free Member

I need a van, always liked the look of the Vitos 2004 upwards, anything to watch out for that will turn me off?

ssboggy

One word. Rust

legend
    Free Member

rust indeed. 30,000 miles in the last year in our (from new), only asked for 1 service in that time and not skipped a beat so far.

The rust issue is probably bad enough that I wouldn’t buy one with my own money though

maccruiskeen

rust should only be an issue on pre 2007 vans iirc , after that they have galvanised bodies

legend
    Free Member

time will tell, already a couple of stone chip induced bubbles on the bonnet….

mrlugz
    Free Member

They certainly look nice.

I had a 54 plate one for about 6 months.

Centre propshaft bearing failed, abs/ traction control went tits, back doors rusted through. It had under 50K and FSH.

Never again.

cartwheels

i have owned an 02 for 8years, has a fair bit of rust yes, but mechanically sound

wobbem
    Free Member

rust should only be an issue on pre 2007 vans iirc , after that they have galvanised bodies

Thanks that is a great help

gears_suck
    Free Member

They drive like crap. Gearbox is horrible. Mine was like a broomstick in a bucket of tar. Same as everyone else, I’ll mention rust. Not just on the Vito, its the same with sprinters too.
    Want my advise? Here it is anyway. Buy a transit!

trusslebabes
    Free Member

I have a 59 plate its done 60k plus never had a minutes trouble with it, it’s a great van to drive and I have a lot of weight in mine full time. Rust isn’t an issue, in fact I have a powerful belt sander in the bang to grind metal stuff on and it creates lots of metal dust. All along the bottom edge of tailgate is orange were these particles have rusted but if I scrape them off the bodywork underneath is spot on, I say GET ONE 😀

wobbem
    Free Member

They drive like crap. Gearbox is horrible. Mine was like a broomstick in a bucket of tar. Same as everyone else, I’ll mention rust. Not just on the Vito, its the same with sprinters too.
    Want my advise? Here it is anyway. Buy a transit!

Interesting, I have a mate with a Transit and he is not happy, I have the Connect and it is a POS.

dtp555
    Free Member

Had my 58 plate vito sport from new. never missed a beat. Could have have got the vdub, but after test drives I liked the Merc better. Dont regret it. Accessories wise vdub has way more choice, but depends what you want. few mates with vdubs and they have had loads of mechanical issues costing lots of money to fix.

Like with all cars or vans its the luck of the draw I guess!

If your moving from a car to a van, whatever you get you will love. I also have a work company car and I prefer to drive the van.

legend
    Free Member

They drive just fine for a van, steering’s fine, all controls are nice n light, cruise control is lovely for m-way trips. Gearbox is a bit shit feeling, but its no worse than the cable setup in a Transporter.

Ours (well, hers actually) is the 135bhp SWB version so it’s got plenty of grunt for getting around everywhere (including silly steep alpine roads). It does get itself a bit stuck in mud though 😳

deserter
    Free Member

Worst vehicle I’ve owned, final straw was when the oil light came on and had to buy a whole dash cluster and then get it programmed, did loads of work on it and every panel was covered in rust

wobbem
    Free Member

Bump just in case others have got something to add

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Vito sport here and really like it to drive, I have had a remap on the engine and getting much better fuel economy, Interestingly I am using BP or shell diesel rather than the supermarket stuff and it runs and starts so much better.

Centre prop shaft UV joints can give a bit of bother although its not a expensive fix, no problems with rust either (2007)

I have the “long” version and can get five passengers with luggage and six bikes in no problem, Its great for roadtrips and Its great to be cruising up the motorway at 80 and be able to chat about the days riding.

Great van imho,but its a lottery out there and I know transits and T5s that have given expensive problems and the vito is no exeption.

Oh nearly forgot, its a nightmare in mud or winter conditions!!! 😯

pete68
    Free Member

I’ve got a 54 plate new shape. Rusty as hell. Never let me down though.

firepoiboy

11 plate here, drives more like a car than other vans I have run, the gear box is a little sticky but after 40k I have got the knack to make it work as smooth as any other. The only thing that stops me giving it loads of praise is a fumey smell in the cab for the first mile or two on cold mornings, the Merc dealer can’t find the source. Might just be luck of the draw with that one though. I have a short wheel base with bench seat in the front and back, brilliant for road trips and can just fit a double mattress in the back for camping missions as well.

firepoiboy

Oh second on the embarrassing mud situations, snow socks sorted it this winter though

flap_jack
    Free Member

yep RWD so muddy sites an embarrassment…

stratobiker
    Free Member

Hired one a couple of times…..

Drives great, more like a sporty car than a van.
    Drinks fuel fast!!!

SB

stavromuller
    Free Member

I’ve got a ’58 plate 109 and I tried every other van in the same class before I bought it. I’m now on 105k miles and it’s just sailed through it’s second MOT, never misses a beat and I towed a Vivaro out of the mud at the National Cyclo-X champs. It’s not perfect but it’s the best there is from my viewpoint.

legend
    Free Member

stratobiker – Member
    Hired one a couple of times…..
    Drives great, more like a sporty car than a van.
    Drinks fuel fast!!!
    SB

Has sir been drinking tonight? Words fail me on the “sporty car” comment. We’ve had just over 37mpg in the first 30,000 miles, not gonna complain about that in a van (113CDi). The tank is smaller than the likes of a T5 though.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Mercedes Vito vans’ is closed to new replies.