Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mercedes C43 estate – opinions from current or previous owners?
  • strike
    Free Member

Thinking about getting a C43 estate (would be 2017 model) For any current or previous owners, what’s daily life like with one i.e. real world mpg and practicality? Seems to be a mix of cars with 18″ or 19″ run-flats, the latter some report as giving too harsh a ride.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I can tell you about the GLC43 AMG (same chassis, wheels, box, engine, most of the interior) if that helps (2017 model, not the coupe’, the normal one)

MPG? well… it’s got 5 modes from eco to sport ++.. eco you’ll get about 33mpg mix of lanes/A-road/M’way, switch to the other modes and it drops accordingly. Sport++ is harsh riding, stiff and rattles come through the bodying the cabin and it squeaks. Not sure if the build quality is pants but it doesn’t feel screwed together very well.. It’s bonkers fast and immediate thats for sure, and the box changes are instant and sublime. Eco it’s just a big lolloping SUV.. comfortable, but he seats are a bit tightly bolstered so if you are fat you’ll struggle to get comfy. All the rest of the stuff is typical Merc, nice to touch, works well and the infotainment stuff is bonkers clear and loud..

The downsides are the wheels are made of plastic and crumble at the slightest rut or pothole, two nearside wheels have needed replacement due to buckling and the tyres have been ruined accordingly. Not sure why Merc make the alloys so thin, but they are and it’s a typical fault because the dealers always have them in stock.

Rear seats are hard, bench like and not very comfortable.

Boot space is really good, with the seats down 3 bikes can go in it with the wheels on pilled on top of each other.

The rest is just Merc.

Its’ not mine BTW, it’s my best mates and we use it a lot for razzing to-from work. I’ll be honest, but this is just me, I would spend my money elsewhere.

HTHs.

strike
    Free Member

Thanks – interested on the feedback from engine/gearbox and that mpg sounds better than anticipated.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well Sport ++ is for launching and that kinda thing.. he left it in it once to see how long we’d start complaining at the veracity and harshness.. and TBF to it on the m’way it was cruising along nicely but floor it and it almost pulls wheelies. MPG was about 9-11 when flaring it and ave’d 13 on that run. Most of the time, say 90% it’s in eco/comfortable and it does anywhere between 28-33 with 33 being the on the more sedate side of driving.

It’s got that Merc App, and his wife tracks him in it and often texts him saying “can you get it out of Sport ++ mode please”

It’s her car BTW.

tonyg2003

I have a E43. Same engine in a slightly higher tune. We get around 30mpg most of the time but that’s not much urban driving. I do run it on winter wheels/tyres so that it doesn’t crab in the cold. Otherwise it’s been super reliable (just over two years old now). Not had any wheel problems. Sorta quick but still big heavy old things.

smokey_jo

The 2.0l turbo in the c300 will get you 30mpg+ easily and if it’s got 100 ponies more than my c180 you won’t feel short changed power wise

piha
    Free Member

I had a C43 coupe and I liked it a lot. It was good car, very functional, drove well enough and was reasonably brisk. The 4 wheel drive gave me plenty of confidence in the wet/damp/cold. It did feel heavy and that is why I got rid of it in the end. The crabbing was an irritation, nothing more and if I was looking to transport my mutt in style and quickly, the estate version would be on my list.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Stop fannying about and go c63 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mercedes C43 estate – opinions from current or previous owners?’ is closed to new replies.