Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Mentalness in the office
  • redsox
    Free Member

At work the other day, supposed “responsible manager” goes bat shit at me for moving something on their desk a grand total of 3 inches, which I didn’t, if I wanted to mess with them I would have been way more creative. Just laughed in their face at the threats of HR and the general mad shouting……this is not new behaviour and surely won’t be the last time.

So, cheer me up and share your mental workplace stories

Eyepic
    Free Member

Is the responsible manager under a lot of stress? Do they have an unreasonable work load? Have they got problems at home? etc!!

fasthaggis

Sorry OP,I don’t have any mad office stories ,here is a photo of a cat in a hat.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Eyepic, so if they do its ok to go mental at someone at work?
    What happens at home stays at home, is what I was taught.

Just wait until the guy is really losing it, then work late when he’s left and crimp a huge loaf into the back of his desk drawer. Works best if done on a Friday as it has the whole weekend to settle in to its new home.

ononeorange

One of the light fittings in the office I work in stopped working. But it’s OK now.

binners

fasthaggis

I went to a soothsayer and they told me you would post that photo binners 😀

Kryton57

Once, both toilets were engaged.

badnewz
    Free Member

Once had a manager throw some empty milk bottles at me.

And another manager threw a chair at a colleague which had it hit him would have done some damage.

I respected the honesty of the sentiment in both cases, and in fairness they would never have resorted to calling in HR.

People like throwing things in advertising.

Northwind

bigyinn – Member

No but it’s more understandable/excusable.

You know how sometimes you get organisations where one hand doesn’t know what the other’s doing? I had a boss who was like that- you could talk to her and decide a course of action in the morning, then in the afternoon get shouted at for doing what you’d agreed on. I thought it was a tactic at first but over time I realised she really didn’t seem to know she was doing it. Just didn’t seem to connect “what has already happened” with “what is happening now”.

I think the finest example- she got a new Iphone and spent the entire morning loudly playing with it and showing it off to everyone. Then in the afternoon a colleague got a text and she went batshit, next morning we all got a huge lecture about using our phones in the office. With some people it’d just be hypocrisy but with her it was possibly schizophrenia.

Doesn’t sound massive but when it goes on all the time, it’s pretty damn unsettling.

loughor
    Free Member

Best response to to managerial rubbish I’ve ever heard was this (semi-disciplined services).
    Subordinate in trouble v ‘Big’ Boss, usual tantrum subsided.
    BB – ‘Have you anything you want to say to me?’
    So – ‘Yes Sir. If I was to call you a ****, you’d put me on report for that as well ?’
    BB – ‘Of course, that would be insurbordination’
    So – ‘But if I was to think you’re a ****, there’s nothing you can do?’
    BB – ‘I suppose not, no’
    So – ‘Well Sir, I think you’re a ****’

Eyepic
    Free Member

No. But if a normally sound person suddenly goes loopy…. there may be a reason …. do they need help or do you just call them a *****?

40mpg

The Burco has broken – its like the end of the world. There’s now a girl in the kitchen with a screwdriver, a spoon, a pile of Burco bits and a pile of mushy white stuff which she has scooped out.

Someone has found an old kettle with a broken lid, which scalds your fingers when you try to open it. The queue for the kitchen extends round the block, a line of people seething at the wait for their morning caffeine fix, and the fact the kitchen is only big enough for 1 person isn’t aiding a swift resolution.

I did suggest she unplug the Burco before putting it all back together 🙄

Its madness out there!

Kryton57

Tbh, I don’t tolerate being shouted at. I was shouted at by the big boss once, so I took to staring out the window.

When he said (Alan Sugar style) “Well, do you have the bollocks to reply?” I calmly stated “Yes I do, but I don’t want to, and don’t have to tolerate shouting or abuse in the work place, and therefore I shall continue looking at this nice view of London until you’ve calmed down and we can have a reasonable conversation”.

Well, that fired him up but after a nother few minutes of a ranting vs staring out the window stalemate he soon realised the only way was to change tack.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mentalness in the office’ is closed to new replies.