• This topic has 40 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by MSP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Men’s knee length hooded insulated waterproof outerwear
  • crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Women have no shortage of offerings to choose from.

I need something to keep me warm sitting in freezing stadiums or standing at the edge of pitches in the wind and rain. I have waist length warm jackets and they don’t cut it.

Is there anything out there?

Thanks!

tuboflard

Sounds like you’re describing a Dryrobe!

longdog
    Free Member

Fladen survival suit or fishing suit

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

So SUPpy-mummy or shipwrecked trawlerman?

That reinforces what I thought. E.g NF has no end of options for women, but nothing for cold thighed gents.

matt_outandabout

Long John’s.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Buy some insulated overalls

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Stockmans coat

dyna-ti

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds like a dryrobe to me.

Haterz love to hate but they just do multiple jobs well.

Like a large long version of my pertex buffalo.

dafoj
    Free Member

Drizabone

csb

There was a big thread on this, someone keeping warm watching kids play footy. French ski instructors jackets look ideal.

stanley

Something from Fjallraven maybe?
    I use mine for similar duties. It’s really nice to wear, handle, etc too. Sorry, can’t remember the name of it.

ajantom

I used to have an amazing knee length, fleece-lined, high-collared, hooded coat from Decathlon. Think it was part of their sailing line.
    It was (tbh) mostly overkill for the UK!
    Would have been ideal for standing around in though.

Stainypants

Dryrobe I’ve started to ride to both my son’s away football games usually 50 mile round trip ,wife carries it in the car bang it to watch the game and cycle back it’s perfect.

csb

Dryrobe

Yeah but you look like a bit special

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah but you look like a bit special

Not half as special as someone stood there soaking wet and cold.

Doesn’t have to be an actual dry robe branded one. Plenty of others that look better than the dryrobe option.

Mrs has a passenger one.

I’m too cheap to have one…. But I do steal hers when ever it’s not already in use.

diggery
    Free Member

Something like this?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-ski-racing-cape-980/_/R-p-308927

Keeps the weather out, also keeps the seats clean when driving back from a ride and keeps me dry when washing the car or bike in the winter, but without the bulk of a dry robe. Can layer up underneath but it’s still usable in ‘summer’.

RustyNissanPrairie

I have an old MK1 North Face McMurdo jacket and it’s brilliant for cold wet standing around stuff. However I bought it mega reduced in the middle of summer – now is not the cheapest time of year to buy one.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I spend 4 days a week watching my lad playing football ! It’s my torso and feet that get cold. (Joys of academy football)

I’ve just ordered one of these, reviews look good but can’t comment myself as yet

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-long-football-parka/_/R-p-313038?mc=8575951

I have short legs so hoping it will come to my knees

ive also got these boots on order, I don’t give a stuff  what they look like 🙂

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-warm-waterproof-hiking-boots-sh100-ultra-warm-zip/_/R-p-311993?mc=8558224

Last year I got a Regatta Volter heated jacket. It was ok, but for the heat to warm you, you couldn’t wear any layers under it and then the heating elements are only small so it didn’t really work. Plus the short length wasn’t great.

I thought about dry robe, but they just are not insulated enough IMO

maccruiskeen

Helly Hensen ‘rigging’ coat maybe?

joshvegas
    Free Member

What about the jackets the coaches wear at matches. Search bench jacket. Must be warn with suits, pointy shoes and an apoplectic expression.

There are nice versions of dry robes aswell recycled plastics etc if you look round.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m sure there used to be such a thing as a stadium parka that Americans wore sitting in NFL grounds for four hours while the Bills and the Packers fannied about in the snow.

Something from an American based company, or even the teams merchandise maybe.

Stainypants

Just spent 2 hours in torrential rain watching and setting up for son no. 1s game in the Dryrobe absolutely toasty and dry throughout. What’s the point spending £160 on a piece of kit and not using it for a task it’s absolutely perfect for just because of what a few others might think.

MoreCashThanDash

What’s the point spending £160 on a piece of kit and not using it for a task it’s absolutely perfect for just because of what a few others might think.

Get the camouflage one and no one would know anyway….

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Thanks guys. There’s a few 3/4 length, mid-thigh lengths from Aigle, Didricksons and Musto (thanks!). However full knee lenths seem to be distinctly niche, e.g Decathlon stadium wear.

This seems odd to me because for centuries men’s long overcoats were a staple, and for women they still are.

Finally on the DryRobe debate, you’ll have to to forgive me and those of us middle of the road chaps who aren’t dedicated followers of fashion, but who also might be self conscious about looking like trendy watersport mums.

5lab

Imo dryrones used for actual watersports are completely unisex. I see more blokes wearing them than women

csb

Is there a brand of dryrobe that doesn’t have a logo on thw front or the back? Because on reflection it looks as close to the old ski instructors long coat as i can find.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Try voited. They have a square patch on the arm logo.

Back and front free of logos and the colours and materials remind me of the parkas we had as kids.

That’s as close as I got to buying one – finding one without logos.

Reality is it’s rare that me n Mrs are both on the water with the little one being around now so we just share one

csb

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-ski-racing-cape-980/_/R-p-308927

This with massive wool jumpers under would be good.

sweepy
    Free Member
    dooosuk
    Free Member
    didnthurt

Saw a few of the dad’s at the kids football yesterday with very long jackets on. Didn’t stop to ask where they bought them from but most be relatively common.

Ooh! I might get one of these for after biking.

https://cdn.sportsshoes.com/product/Z/ZNE400/ZNE400_1000_5.jpg

Ro5ey
    Free Member

looking like trendy watersport mums.

If you match a dryrobe with rigger boots and a flat cap (as I do for standing on my lad’s football/rugby sideline and daughter’s netball sideline…. my god netball at 0830 on a winters morning is bloody cold) think you’ll be safe in your masculinity 🙂

If you go for a “manager’s” coat please make sure you get your initials printed on the chest.

the00
    Free Member

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just an update on my Decathlon purchases noted further up

The jacket is very good quality for £65. It is not as warm has an expensive down jacket but pretty good, and the extra length really does help. Its well cut including the hood. Although I do wish the hood had some kind of string system on it to close it down. I ahev only worn it in a light shower so far so I am yet to see how waterproof (which it claims to be) it will be after standing at the side of a pitch for 2hrs in pouring rain.  I can comfortably layer up underneath it though so should be good going forward.

The best bit is the boots. They really insulate my feet from the ground, which is what I have now worked out was making my feet cold. They look stupid, but I really dont care if they keep me warm. Again cant comment on the water proof claims but they did stay dry on a dog walk through a wet grass field. Again £25 cant complain.

CountZero

My chosen festival wear when it’s likely to be inclement, is something that’ll keep me warm if it’s going to be cool, plus a big poncho with a hood to put over the top – the advantage of the poncho is it can be used as a ground sheet if the ground stays wet. They’re also pretty cheap.

ceept

A dryrobe, that is actually big enough to use as a changing robe isn’t warm as it’s not close fitted enough.
    They are awesome for what they were designed for (changing in), but IMO seem to be worn fashion accessory/jacket now, rather than because they are actually any good at keeping you warm.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.