Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Memory map gps any good ?????
  • blast
    Free Member

Does anyone know if they are any good?
    Having a look about and they seem to be good value as I can upload my MM maps onto it and not buy more maps. So that works out at about half price.
    Any views please

toonfan
    Free Member

I’ve got one and it does the job. It doesn’t have a track up option so can be a little confusing if your heading “down” the screen. That might just be me though, turning left instead of right etc!! You get used to it though and its very easy to use.

Ambrose

Or get MMtracker onto your Android phone.

AirconAde
    Free Member

I’ve had the 2800 for the last 12 months. Bought it for using on MTB and Enduro/green lane motorbike as well as the odd geocaching.
    Std battery life seems ok ( better than smart phone). Good at tracking you route with elevation/speed/distance profiles at the end of the ride.
    Quick to grab gps signals and display is ok when on bike but a bit small to see when on motorbike (they now do a 3500 with 3.5″ screen).
    As a bike computer I think the Garmin edge seems better with live display of speed/dist/elev gained per ride and the virtual partner training aid.
    The MM is far better for navigation as you can see your location on the map, but as with most gps units you some times have to take the wrong route to then find the right route, if that makes sence.

MM2800 has a few bugs when trying to load pre planned routes from pc to mm unit and when trying to save data but the forum is very good for finding out what your doing wrong.

Would I buy another …. Yes. But I’m also thinking of getting a Edge 305 for day to day biking duties and keep the MM for longer day navigation rides.

Ade

blast
    Free Member

Thanks for input, I can put mem map on phone but it eats battery and has a small screen and I may need it to call 999.
    I have an older etrex venture but always liked the idea of a map under the route but always get scared by the price of Gps plus Maps.
    Its just that I have seen them at 175 ish and already have Memory Map on laptop that can also go onto the Gps so it seem sensible money.
    The other niggle is the internal battery, much rather aa’s or the like. They make much more sense on multi-day rides in the hills .

AirconAde
    Free Member

If you have the screen illumination set for 10 second bursts the batt life is pretty good, and you can also get an extra batt that also has a waterproof case as part of it, and with that the run time could be days.
    Using your own MM makes it a cheap, good option.
    I like the fact that it shows you exactly where you are on the map. It has ended many arguments when in a group ride over the ” no we’re here” moments.lol

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Memory map gps any good ?????’ is closed to new replies.