Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • memory foam mattress toppers
  • headfirst
    Free Member

Are they any good? My daughter’s mattress seems to have gone lumpy after only a couple of years, I see groupon are doing a deal on memory foam toppers today for £50 plus P+P. Would this be an effective cheapskate’s way of upgrading? The spec’s say it’s only an inch thick so I’m a bit sceptical.

trail_rat
    Free Member

she will feel the lumps through it …

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d be more than sceptical, never going to work.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Speaking from bitter experience, never going to work.
    Put the money towards a new mattress.

headfirst
    Free Member

Thought as much, just thought I’d get the collective’s wisdom though. Bloody kids always costing money!! 😡

Pigface
    Free Member

Hateful things one night was enough and binned it

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’ve had one for a couple of months now (bought as an interim thing as my mattress was getting a bit knackered and I couldnt afford a new one at the time), and I have to say I’m really pleased with it, and certainly, for the time being, have no need / plans to replace it.

headfirst
    Free Member

Ooh barnsleymitch that’s a bit more like it…my daughter’s off to university in September so really it is only going to be for occasional use after then…

Pigface: is that your view of a ‘normal’ mattress with a foam topper, or of memory foam mattresses overall? From my own experience the mattress takes a bit of getting used to, but we love it now – no more backache!

trail_rat
    Free Member

memory foam is lovely but the whole subject is a bit princess and pea ….

sharkbait
    Free Member

We’ve had one for about 4 years and it’s marvelous – but I don’t know whether it will get rid of the lumpy mattress issue

Pigface
    Free Member

Normal matress and the missus put the topper on the top. I like a really firm mattress and suprise suprise the missus likes it softer. It is horses for courses though.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Have one in our camper on a firm base and that’s brilliant, but on a lumpy base all it did was make the lumps softer.

swampi
    Free Member

I bought one as an interim measure whilst I saved up for a decent memory foam mattress, worked a treat on my knackered mattress,only downside was that I had to sew elastic corners on bed sheets as the topper always moves around slight as it deforms and undoes the bed sheets,look around on ebay and compare prices and thickness ect as I am sceptical of groupon offers

can-uk
    Free Member

I have one.. looked long and hard for a good one at a reasonable price. Surprisingly.. IKEA do a very good one.. i think it was £120ish.. it seems to be as good as the £300 versions i looked at. I ‘ve had it a year and love it.

Not sure i’d get a cheap one.

slowuphill
    Free Member

Memory Foam is like Marmite – People love it or hate it. a Memory foam topper will not make a lumpy mattress better, in fact it will probably make the lumps bigger. Cheap Quality Memory Foam toppers are thin and have a inferior quality foam which would be less dense. Take the risk and buy the topper and hopefully it will do the job you are looking for or put that money towards a new mattress.
    Your bed expert.
    Slow
    The Bed Post http://www.bed-post.co.uk

swampi
    Free Member

Oh and another point,full on memory foam mattress doesn’t half rob you of momentum when it comes to bedroom olympics 😉

bigjim

We have a £100 or so one on our bed from that shop you get in retail parks that I can’t remember the name of, and its dead good. Bit warm in summer perhaps.

Sui
    Free Member

got me one from John Lewis a few years ago – it’s amemory foam with a softer topping (didn’t really describe that well) – anyway, foam, with softer stuff on top – tis very comfy. Cost 250 quid though.

sparkyrhino

Got one from poundworld its a kingsize £34, we bought a new shaker style king size bed and got a free matress it was so lumpy and uncomfy, the topper made a great difference very comfy,and cant feel 1 lump through it,i now struggle to get out of bed on a morning

justatheory
    Free Member

I bought a memory foam mattress and although comfortable to lie on, it was far too hot. I’ve since got rid and gone back to a traditional mattress.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have one and its horrid but the domestic manager likes it so I am stuffed. You sink in and can’t roll about like a flat surface allows. Yes I know its meant to do that but I don’t like it. Tempetd to try it on a board to reduce the sag.
    It’s currently on a very( too good in my opinion) mattress

iain1775
    Free Member

We got a groupon one last time deal was on It’s silent night and it’s comfortable works great
    They sent us two by mistake, second one is still stored in the wardrobe

mtbmaff
    Free Member

We bought into the Ikea ideal and purchased a bed, mattress and topper, I found it great as I suffer with a bad back and in 2 years it’s cleared that problem up. My wife hates the memory foam as it makes her to hot and wakes her up.
    I have found that you don’t move much in the night and I tend to end up on my back, which of course makes me snore which keeps my wife awake. The memory foam is really comfortable though but ours is losing its memory facility and is now just two hollows and a centre ridge, Ikea have agreed to take a look at our topper to see if it is faulty.
    Ikea do a 90 day return guarantee, if you’re not happy with the the mattress, they will swop it for another one.

argoose
    Free Member

poundstretchers memory foam mattress £99.99, but do drop in price quite often

cynic-al
    Free Member

REported

FuzzyWuzzy

Not sure about a topper on an old mattress but a few months ago I bought a new spring mattress that had a built-in memory foam top and it’s been great (think it’s 2″ or 3″ thick though).

globalti
    Free Member

Am currently in a long-term disagreement with Mrs Gti over this – she says she loves them and thinks memory foam will cure her backache. I hate them, too hot and you can’t turn over. I also think she’d be wasting her money buying a Tempur when any old memory foam would do, if you really wanted it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“you can’t turn over”

why not ? this is not an issue ive experianced.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

love ours

Cougar

Spam reported.

bails

I’ve been very pleasantly surprised by ours. I think it was from Argos, a SilentNight one, not the cheapest, but not the most expensive (£60ish IIRC). Our mattress was properly crap though (we rent, so it’s not ours to change). The topper has transformed it, I no longer fall through the bed when I get on it!

I’ve had a (cheap) full memory foam mattress in the past and wouldn’t get one again, I don’t like the feel of them. But the topper just makes the mattress feel like a good sprung mattress rather than the cheap, knackered old thing it is, with memory foam on top.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘memory foam mattress toppers’ is closed to new replies.