Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • mem map on mac
  • mav12
    Free Member

hi i am thinking of getting a macbook or mac mini but see mem map isnt compatable but can be done anyone using mem map on a mac and how are you doing it

thanks

slowoldman

You would need to install something like Parallels or Bootcamp to run Windows as well as OSX on your mac.

I have one remaining Windows app (old Anquet maps) for which I still retain a battered old Dell laptop. I just can’t bring myself to put Windows on the macbook.

DavidB
    Free Member

Parallels will do the job fine on a new Mac. I run Tracklogs on it.

geoffj

Ask yourself if you really need it. There are plenty of online options that work very well in a browser on a mac.

CountZero

geoffj – Member
    Ask yourself if you really need it. There are plenty of online options that work very well in a browser on a mac.

Always a bit clunky compared to having the maps installed on the machine. The OP hasn’t said, but I assume he already has the maps available.

martib

I run a basic version of Windows 7 in VMWare Fusion to run Memory Map on my Mac. You can run it in Unity mode so the applications appear to be running from the Mac and not through a console window.

geoffj

Always a bit clunky compared to having the maps installed on the machine. The OP hasn’t said, but I assume he already has the maps available.

Clunky? Having to run a VM, OS and a dedicated bit of software versus opening a browser window?

I’m just too lazy for all that shenanigans 😀

mav12
    Free Member

thanks i do have the maps i will look into online options when i eventually buy a mac. looks like i may be able to trnsfer routes from the mem map app on my ipad ,

footflaps

I use Parallels and an old XP copy for MM. I have the entire UK 50k and 25k maps set, which is the only reason I still use MM.

DavidB
    Free Member

geoffj, try doing cut and paste in a browser window .. or zooming quickly .. or quickly loading routes from a GPS/memory stick or having height profile and route on the screen at same time .. or searching etc….

grum
    Free Member

Crossover works too so no need for a Windows install at all (though the whizzy 3D stuff didn’t work for me).

geoffj

geoffj, try doing cut and paste in a browser window .. or zooming quickly .. or quickly loading routes from a GPS/memory stick or having height profile and route on the screen at same time .. or searching etc….

Can I refer my learned friend to my last statement 🙂

mav12
    Free Member

i finally bought a mac mini and i am trying crossover for mm it seems to work fine, except it can’t find the gps using a garmin etrex comes back with can’t open usb error 259 i can save routes to it using using basecamp so the gps is connecting ok to the mac and it worked fine on a windows pc

any ideas?

thanks

garethc
    Free Member

If you have the OS maps on your Garmin, use BaseCamp which runs native.

Easiest is to have the GPS connected via cable, and BaseCamp will “see” the OS maps.

Fastest is to copy your OS maps from the GPS to a disc image (which BaseCamp will think is your micro USB in the GPS, but will transfer maps to the programme much quicker – you’ll need to unlock the IMG file you copy over, but a quick Google should help there).

Rarely if ever use Memory Map since I got that sorted.

mav12
    Free Member

thanks dont have mapping on my gps looks like ill just have to save the route and load it in basecamp to my gps

CountZero

geoffj – Member
    Can I refer my learned friend to my last statement

And then you find yourself with no network coverage, I have Viewranger on my pad and phone, the whole of the UK 1:50k OS maps installed on both, readily usable anywhere I happen to be; like, for example, South Devon, where I’ve spent a week several years running, with zero network access.
    I still had all my maps available, though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘mem map on mac’ is closed to new replies.