Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Melbourne/Vic Locals Route Help
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hi anyone got anything for the Otways (gpx would be great) heading over that way for a few days, got forest & you yangs lined up for the end of the week but looking for something round Apollo Bay

Cheers

m0rk
    Free Member

Never been, but this is in my list of bookmarks while I wait my visa – doesn’t look too far from where you’l be staying.

http://www.rideforrest.com.au/

The Commonwealth Games course in Melbourne looks a bit dull / wintered off

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep been & don Forest and heading back, they have nice maps. Was more the other stuff I was looking for.

stevego
    Free Member

Forrest is great. Don’t think there is much sneaky stuff out there though as the trail network is well established and well looked after. Mariners run is my favourite out there, but other great ones include ‘follow the dog’ and ‘The red carpet’ descent. There should be good maps online for the You Yangs also. I’ve only ridden there once for a race last year. THe stockyards section is fast, flat and flowy, the rest is rocky and steep in places.
    The comm games track and the rest of Lysterfield is fun although it gets a bit crowded and the trails do suffer a bit because of it. Check if the trails are open online. We were there a week ago and a few trails were closed due to water damage, but a number were open.
    There are lots of other places to ride out this way also. Drop me an email if you want more info or someone to take you out for a ride. School hols at the moment so as a teacher I get to relax and look after my kids.

stevego
    Free Member

email is in profile

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers got forrest and you yangs sorted. Been there a few times. Found the start of the old Odyssey route from Apollo bay but not sure if its open or not. Just trying to get something near there for a couple of days while we stay over there. Might just strap the garmin on and go exploring.

stevego
    Free Member

The old odyssey route goes through private land, you are better to start in forrest. The new (2013) route started in forrest and went out from the footy oval. The riding around there is brilliant. There is also some riding in Anglesea, not sure where though.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers, just out of the Apollo bay area, we were there with friends so had to make do, did some loops round there mostly just fire roads but was OK as my rear brake had leaked some fluid in transit. Got to forrest today for a loop then more tomorrow, before You Yangs on Saturday. Saw the Old Odyssey route and the climb might have put me off had it been legal!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Melbourne/Vic Locals Route Help’ is closed to new replies.