Melanie Philips Daily Mail article on cyclists today

Home Forum Bike Forum Melanie Philips Daily Mail article on cyclists today

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Melanie Philips Daily Mail article on cyclists today
  • Premier Icon unklehomered
    Subscriber

“Out of the corner of my eye, I saw something hurtling towards me and sprang backwards just in time. A cyclist had jumped the red light and almost knocked me down as he sped across the junction.”

Of course, this never happens.

Be fair, you’re on your bike, you see Melanie Philips, just there in front of you, no body guards, walking out into the road, all vulnerable…

Could you honestly resist the urge to try and get her… could you? not sure I could…

brooess

She forgot to mention these two tragic incidents – 2 pedestrians killed by car drivers within a week:

Dead pedestrian hit by car #1

Dead pedestrian hit by car #2

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

do they have editorial meetings about these things?

“Right item 7, who’s doing the the clickbait piece this week and which minority will you be bashing?…. Melanie, alright then, only been a couple weeks since the last cyclist one but yeah they’re always good for a laugh go for it”

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Read (the Flickr scan) up to “Although I don’t own a bicycle I enjoy… cycling”. That made me frown so hard I couldn’t see past my eyebrows.

butcher

I tried. But I couldn’t summon any anger towards that article crap at all.

3/10

I daren’t read the comments though.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

do they have editorial meetings about these things?

“Right item 7, who’s doing the the clickbait piece this week and which minority will you be bashing?…. Melanie, alright then, only been a couple weeks since the last cyclist one but yeah they’re always good for a laugh go for it”

Good question, and is the online click-bait crap taken as seriously as the printed output by all concerned? Writers, Editors, the PCC?

Did the Levenson inquiry & report extend as far as looking at the publishing of un-researched, inflamatory toss online rather than just that in a “Proper” paper?

will

I’m just reading the comments 😯

What people say on the internet should always be taken with a pinch/bag of salt, i’d love to actually meet some of these people.

Edit: I only too 5 separate comments to get me annoyed. Their views are just so wrong it’s not even funny!

Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

Their views are just so wrong it’s not even funny!

Good thing they all live on the Costa Del Sol then. 😉

mrlebowski

The comments are hilarious!

kcr

Another poor article in the Independent at the weekend (possibly even worse because it was written by a cyclist). You can find it via Google if you are really desperate.
    Much as it pains me to give any credit to the heart of darkness, News International, the Times campaign for safer cycling actually seems to be a sustained and serious pro-cycling effort. Interestingly, one of the driving forces behind this was the death of a Times journalist in a cycling incident; i.e. people could identify with the victim. Melanie Philips and the Daily Hate can only peddle their lazy click baiting while there is still a significant division between cyclists and non-cyclists in this country, and cyclists can be portrayed as the dangerous minority “others” (like immigrants, gypsies, etc). Once you get to critical mass (like Holland) you won’t get away with this any more, because your readership will all know partners, children, friends and relatives who cycle, or will cycle themselvers.

ormondroyd

The comments are hilarious!

You reading the article = Daily Mail’s business model.

Premier Icon Trekster
    Subscriber

bbc1 Wed @ 9 war on our roads

Have to hold my hand up to nearly squashing a cyclist whilst driving through Stockport last Mon 🙄
    I had already overtaken him a few times as we crawled through the traffic. Not being familiar with the roads I was busy concentrating on the traffic, where I was going and looking for signposts and it was chucking it down and getting darker. The guy on the bike was dressed in black, no lights and had a black polly bag clamped to the bars with his right hand!! Being aware that he would be passing me again as I stopped at a set of traffic lights I was looking in my door mirror for him coming up on my inside. There was a white van on my right and as you can imagine I got a bit of a fright as th e guy appeared in the corner of my eye between us just as the lights changed to green 😳
    Anyway he got away with that manoeuvre ❗
    At the next set of lights he proceeded down my inside and promptly rode through the red lights nearly rear ending a bus which he obviously didn’t see stopping as he avoided the car coming at him from his right……..

Aristotle

Melanie Philips has views that differ from mine on many issues.

Cyclists are a fairly small minority in the UK, that’s all there is to it. Other minorities also suffer at the hands of bigots and the ignorant majority, often in a more serious way.

The Daily Mail sells almost 2 million papers daily -Even though that’s not a large portion of the population, that is a lot of ignorant people filled with hate (for whatever the target is that day), fears for their health and fears for their safety from criminals after breakfast.

Only The Sun sells more.

Many, many people around the world apparently also view their “news”/royals/slightly famous people in bikinis website.

Like it or not, their output reaches a lot of people. At least it’s not the Express.

Casting an eye over the front pages of the tabloids in the newsagents does make me question the minds of the general population.

mdavids

I just dont bother with these any more, apparently there was a similar ‘article’ in the express last week which I also didn’t read. Its amazing how people on bikes being mildly irritating causes national outrage but the woeful driving standards on display everywhere you go is barely worthy of a comment. The country’s full of morons.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

m.phillips@dailymail.co.uk I think a few rational and well presented emails correcting her “facts” would help…

I suspect signing her up for some stuff would help more – or if not, it would at least be more satisfying.

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

I suspect signing her up for some stuff would help more

Good idea. I’ve bought her a subscription to Singletrack.

That’ll learn her.

Rockape63

Car drivers resent cyclists because they represent all the goodness they could be but choose not to be. We are better than them and they hate themselves for it

No they don’t don’t….they hate cyclists because they get in the f*****g way!

Surely there must be car drivers who ride bikes? (apart from me?)

Premier Icon miketually
    Subscriber

No they don’t don’t….they hate cyclists because they think that they get in the f*****g way! but they don’t really

Fixed that for you. You’ve confused “slows them down down briefly between queues of traffic” and “makes an actual difference to their overall journey time”.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Melanie Philips Daily Mail article on cyclists today’ is closed to new replies.