Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Megrahi released….
  • ac505
    Free Member

Wouldn't it be ironic if his plane crashed on the way home……

richc
    Free Member

no, it would be tragic

cynic-al
    Free Member

Moreso if it blew up and someone was wrongly convicted for it111

epicsteve
    Free Member

Does anyone actually believe he was wrongly convicted, or just that he wasn't the only person involved?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm not entirely sure, there was a lot of pressure to convict someone.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'm not entirely sure, there was a lot of pressure to convict someone.

Indeed there was, however the trial was held under intense media scrutiny in another country and by three of Scotlands senior judges. Other than an impression that he's a scapegoat I haven't heard anyone really dispute the evidence that convicted him. His appeal also found the same.

I don't think he was the only one involved, but I don't think there is any doubt he deserved to be convicted and – given the seriousness of the offence – that he should never have been released.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I've not followed the case but was lectured at the time by Robert Black (the architect of the trial – i.e. he set up the Scottish court abroad) and he later had serious doubts about an aspect of the conviction.

nickc

Other than an impression that he's a scapegoat I haven't heard anyone really dispute the evidence that convicted him

Dr Hans Köchler, one of the UN observers at the trial, expressed serious doubts about the fairness of the proceedings and spoke of a "spectacular miscarriage of justice".

There you go…

elliptic
    Free Member

"Megrahi's conviction was a shocker. No material evidence was presented linking him to the bombing, let alone any evidence that he put the bomb on the plane or that he handled any explosives."

From this piece in the Independent.

ransos
    Free Member

"I haven't heard anyone really dispute the evidence that convicted him"

Read "The Flight From Justice" by Paul Foot.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Or Jim Swires Website

http://www.lockerbietruth.com/

Ben_mw

Wish I could remember the details, but the Eye did a special on his case a while ago (maybe around the time of his first appeal?) and after reading it I did wonder how on earth he'd been found guilty.
    Ransos – presumably that is not a quote from Paul Foot. If it is, my memory is much worse than i thought as i thought he wrote the Eye's report?

Edit – Coming out of Dunce mode – "The flight from justice" was the private eye report. Sheesh.

Northwind

I think I saw the definitive comment on this, from a US motorbike website… "It's a disgrace that he's being allowed to die before he finishes his sentence" :mrgreen:

bigyinn
    Free Member

I do hope that comment from the biking website was a joke?

Northwind

Nope, it was an angry american getting carried away. I'd said "his sentence was for 27 years, but not to die in prison" and this was the response. Class. No doubt he thought the NHS wasn't treating his cancer because he's not important enough, or something, since we're all reds.

fisha
    Free Member

Personally, I think its a shocker he's walked away from serving his sentence.

However, there is a part of me that wonders whether the whole thing was set from the start to have a martyr for the guilt aspect of it, and that a deal was done back in Jan 2001 (… or even prior to that ) that they would get out at after a certain time.

Trouble being that the twin towers attack came shortly after conviction and that keeps such airplane attacks fresh in the mind.

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Is he cycling home then?

Smee
    Free Member

I'm of the opinion that he was one the receiving end of a spectacular miscarriage of justice.

gusamc
    Free Member

This was mentioned on an R4 discussion as being possibly related,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

The original verdict looks iffy to me

kennyp
    Free Member

Leaving aside whether he's guilty or not, by letting a man home to die on compassionate grounds it shows we're better than they are, which is why ultimately the terrorists won't win.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i think Scotland may look foolish for this decision unless they come clean on the true motives of his release. Approx 2 weeks for every person?

marty
    Free Member

what kennyp said.

Approx 2 weeks for every person?
    and how many if he was to die in jail in a few weeks/months?

i think Scotland may look foolish for this
    only if we see him beating usain bolt at the next olympics…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Megrahi released….’ is closed to new replies.