Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Megavalanche – Tracey Hannah knocked out
  • ayjaydoubleyou

Tracey got taken down in about the first corner

https://www.instagram.com/p/CftRosErBxM/

Various “outraged of Facebook” comments shaming those who didn’t stop when someone was “clearly” knocked out.

Now I’ve never done one of these races, but I have watched so many helmet cams. There are people ragdolling and lying on the floor constantly.

In that big pack surrounded by other riders and dust, how much time do you have to see if a person on the floor is moving, or in real trouble?

Being able to come to a stop on a steep loose ski piste without being run over yourself is another challenge.

I’ve passed people who have crashed in XC and Enduro. I’ll verbally check they are conscious/moving (they always have been) – and in the case of enduro I’ve hung around at the bottom to make sure they came down (they always have done).

What says the STW peanut gallery?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Looks like in that traffic jam chaos is would be hard to see anything

stealthcat

Stopping when there are a couple of hundred riders behind you would (a) not be that easy, (b) probably cause a mass pileup and (c) be the last thing on your mind when you’re trying to stay upright in a race…

jamesoz

That looks like the start of the seeding runs.
    From the ones I’ve done, no you won’t stop.
    Rocks are flying about, sounds of tyres going bang and fear of being taken out focus your attention on your line and finding a space.
    Aside from one or two ‘protected riders’, start order is largly mixed ability.
    I’ve started at the front or second row on every seeding run I’ve done and I’m nobody.

Nobody stopped when the pack basically landed on me in 2014, I got battered. I wouldn’t expect them to stop.

kimbers

Having done the mega a few times

100% agree, focused entirely on not crashing yourself, you’d have no idea if someone had just crashed or been lying there for a while

seriousrikk

Having watched enough POV I think the harsh reality is not many have realised and certainly most will not no she had been there for a little while as they passed.

I think I saw one maybe two riders who had a good hard look as the passed – they will have known something was amiss and should have a word with themselves though.

jamesoz

I think I saw one maybe two riders who had a good hard look as the passed – they will have known something was amiss and should have a word with themselves though

What about whoever took the video? They’d have a much better idea.

There are also marshals dotted about.

kimbers

they will have known something was amiss and should have a word with themselves though

I’m just not sure that’s right

You pass so many crashes in that race, I really don’t think you’d have a clue
    It’s loud it’s fast, there’s bikes & rocks bouncing everywhere, narrow field of view

v7fmp

having done this years race, i can confirm that in the carnage, yes you see people go down, but in the few split seconds you may have to glance at them, usually to make sure you dont hit them, you have little to no idea of their physical state.

there are generally ‘marshals’ at key sections and dotted along the course, so the chances of being left for dead are pretty minimal.

And as mentioned, thats the top section of the quali track, where you and a hundred other folks are going hell for leather, with rocks flying, dust everywhere, bikes and riders…. if you have the chance to assess someones wellbeing as you go past, then i am guessing this race isnt for you (which i might add, there seemed to be plenty of riders well out of their depths).

Having said all that, i do hope she is ok and makes a full recovery.

Superficial
    Free Member

That sucks for her, really unfortunate. But I can’t really see how anyone should have done anything differently.

1) I doubt I’d even notice something like that in the heat of battle
    2) By the time you realised something was amiss you’d be past her
    3) Stopping in the middle of a pack like that would cause far more problems
    4) There are plenty of spectators and marshalls around who are in a far better position to help

Important to realise as others have said – that’s very near the start of the run. Now, if it happened half way down the course where there were no spectators, it’d be a different matter.

twistedpencil

Yep dreadful, but right at the start, your head is processing so much at that time, there is usually a body down here or there, but they become obstacles, it’s normally a little while after you’ve passed them that you realise what had happened, by then you’re a fair way down the course.

I passed Darkside here when he crocked his ankle, my head realised something was amiss but didn’t clock how bad, until seeing his posts later that day.

Where Tracy crashed is really difficult to stop in a controlled manner, she was near the start so there was plenty of non competitor support available. I don’t think anyone was out of order for not stopping.  It’s a race, there are marshalls for supporting riders.

Glad to see her supporting the concussion protocols!

HobNob
    Free Member

Now I’ve never done one of these races, but I have watched so many helmet cams. There are people ragdolling and lying on the floor constantly.

In that big pack surrounded by other riders and dust, how much time do you have to see if a person on the floor is moving, or in real trouble?

Pretty much this. You most likely have a split second to see & then try to process it, whilst there is other carnage occurring all around you in the form of people crashing, shouting, bumping into you etc.

Those commenting about how ‘outraged’ they are, won’t have done it, or can comprehend the environment it is in. Having watched the video, that’s literally 200m from the start – there is at least one other rider down near her too with people slowing down & stopping & by 30 seconds in, pretty much everyone was through – I see nothing to get all upset about…

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Some riders did stop and attended to her! What do the idiot commenters want? EVERYONE in the race to stop and attend the fallen rider??

martinhutch

I’m just surprised she didn’t get run over multiple times.

ads678

Some riders did stop and attended to her! What do the idiot commenters want? EVERYONE in the race to stop and attend the fallen rider??

This ^^

Aidy
    Free Member

I think I saw one maybe two riders who had a good hard look as the passed – they will have known something was amiss and should have a word with themselves though

I dunno, for me, that’s often “Are there enough people handling the situation? Can I help in any way, or will I just get in the way?”

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m just surprised she didn’t get run over multiple times.

If this was the TdF, there’d be a 50-rider pile-up.

I got my arm broken racing the Mega, wasn’t unconscious but probably crawling around and groaning.

I didn’t expect anyone to stop. One guy did out of hundreds (cheers Mike) and I tried to tell him to keep racing. Just makes sense to get all the racers out the way and then the marshalls can get in, no?

zerocool

Whenever I’ve done it I have just been concentrating on going as fast as I can, not crashing and trying to breathe. Definitely some tunnel vision going on.

I did try to stop one year when someone went down hard in front of me, but by the time I’d stopped sliding down the snow on my arse/face I was too far down the piste to be able to make my way back up.

stevie750

I dunno, for me, that’s often “Are there enough people handling the situation? Can I help in any way, or will I just get in the way?”

this +1
    If I was first on the scene I would stop and help but if there are already people helping then I won’t stop, I have no medical knowledge and am shit in a crisis so would just end up getting in the way.
    and the last thing someone who is unconscious wants is waking up to loads of folk gawking at them

twistedpencil

That’s a good point about a lack of pile ups at the mega. I wonder if its a case of your brain is always making corrections before you can think to keep you upright, so a body across the track is pretty easy to spot so you’ve turned left or right before realising and avoided it.

Roadies will have their heads down thinking about race strategy and conserving energy on relatively smooth roads, so not quite as fight or flight response, hence they end up crashing into unexpected obstacles.

Waits for someone to post the start of Mountain of He’ll from a few years back… glaciers don’t count 😀

stingmered

I went down like a sack of shit 4 mins from the end of this years Mega. Think I’ve fractured my collarbone. Went down on a fast bit in the woods and cartwheeled off the track. About 10 people went past me, before I got back on to finish. only one or two asked “you ‘k mate?” whilst ploughing past me. Exactly as I would have done and how it should be. It’s a bloody race with plenty of people around to help out who are not racing! Still managed 109th / 54mins in the main race though 🙂

jameso

“You just can’t help another climber up there in the Death Zone”

Northwind

It’s absolute chaos at the start, anyone saying that they should have seen what happened hasnt done it. I rode over someone’s arm ffs. People everywhere, clouds of dust, your pulse hammering in your ears… And more importantly theres marshalls and officials right there.

oldschool

As many have said, the start is manic, the noise deafening, the dust blinding and then you set off. It really is peddle peddle, can I make that gap, puff puff pant, oh my god I’m 5 seconds in and I’m blowing out my arse how can I do this for half an hour, shit left, shit right, oooo I can nip through there, shite someone else saw that gap, balls I’m still going for it I’ll give it beans for a few peddle strokes, shut I’m really knackered, oooo I’ll take that line I never practiced as everyone has gone where I wanted to go. All this is in the first 500yrds.
    The pope could have been in the floor and I’d not have realised properly. People are falling all the time, it’s a cursory glance to guesstimate where they’ll land and look somewhere else and aim.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.