Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Megavalanche on a hardtail – how stupid?
  • mildred

Yes, sustained is a good description.

If anyone is after something perfect for the job have a look here:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-full-bike-or-split-if-frame-sells

This is an absolute bargain for someone.

grumm
    Free Member

So what is it about the mega that is so tough, is it mainly the duration?

Basically yeah – there are a few bits that made me think twice, but I ended up riding all of it by the end of the week. Most of it is no harder than some of the more techy bridleway sections in the Lakes etc. But in the Lakes those bits usually only go on for a few metres or a few hundred metres if you're lucky.

For me, the combination of some pretty techy riding with altitude, some big drops, lots of other people, and really really long descents made it pretty tough.

Things always look easier on camera too imo.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

It's no so so tough as a general ride, but….

The concentration on the long long descents, followed by some steep climbing (on a hefty bike in clothing / helmet / armor wholly unsuited to going uphill as fast as you can!), all the while chasing / being chased by hundreds of other feckers.

The race is 1-2 hours (depending on ability etc), but if you were riding the course with mates for fun (i.e. not in the actual race), it's more like 3-4 hours – including plenty of stops for views / chats / rest. Just larking about in the snow usually takes an hour!

There's a couple of bits that will make most people think twice, but overall it's pretty doable.

I found riding the course on a hardtail in non race conditions was perfectly OK. The main line is fairly smooth – the Pros do take some ridiculous lines – especially in the qualifier – I doubt a hardtail would keep air in its rear tyre / a rider on board if you followed them!

I do think it's something everyone should have a go at at least once in their MTB lives. It really is a proper MTB race that attracts the whole gamut of MTBers – from proper Fat boys on their DH bikes to skinny race whippets, and the chance to rub shoulders (very briefly!) with the Pros, and the majority being the general weekend warrior 5/6inch mtb rider like, I guess, most people on this forum.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JonEdwards
    Free Member

Don't underestimate the altitude either!

Both routes start high – the main race @ 3300m and the qualifier at 2800m, and within a couple of minutes of hard racing you're feeling as shattered as you've ever been. Just staying upright on the glacier can take everything out of you. As much mental as physical, this.

Last year it was really noticeable that as I got lower down the mountain, my ability to actually "ride" the bike rather than just hang on improved markedly despite the fatigue of the previous 45+ mins of riding.

Brycey
    Free Member

I cannot bloody wait!

br
    Free Member

Also, I would imagine you are a lot more likely to get a race ruining pinch flat on a hardtail.

Tubeless is your friend.

hora
    Free Member

That CANFIELD frame on here is screaming for the Mega. Buy it please please pleas!

tracknicko
    Free Member

you will be fine on HT. tho you might not win.

also using two bikes (one for quali and one for race) is cheating.

fact*

*probably not fact but it should be ya cheeky basterwds!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

*Update*

Turns out you can Mega on a hardtail and not die.

I was pretty chuffed with a 1hr 35 in the Challenger. Who else was there? How was it for you?

Brycey
    Free Member

I was there, it was my first and what a week! Now I've rid my body of (most) of the pain, I'm counting down the days until next year!

Had an absolutely shite qualifier and scraped in to the Megachallenger in last place to start on the not ideal Row Z, but I had a great upper section on the snow and finished on 1:32 in 117th (although clock said 1:29 – anyone know if there was a timing problem? I think the race was just late starting.)

Can't recommend it enough to anyone who's swithering.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

've rid my body of (most) of the pain

I woke up this morning with my hands in a 'tightly wrapped around the bars' type position…

Brycey
    Free Member

"The claw" we were calling it, defo feel your pain. Calves are in tatters from pedal bites on the snow.

5lab

i did a 1:52 on a (6 day old) broken hand. would probably do it again, but don't have a burning desire to yet. Doing it on a broken hand isn't reccomended

didn't get a single pedal bite on the snow – one foot on pedal, one out wide as a stabiliser.

H

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Christ it were good. Very much hardtail able- there's nothing scary on it at all.

I got 301st in the Mega but had to stop for 10 minutes to help a bloke in front of me who'd ripped all the ligaments out of his left knee. God it looked sore. Aiming for 250th next year.

Massive thanks to Rockshox too who replaced the lowers on my 3 year old 2nd hand Lyrics which cracked around the base nut for free. Very, very impressive stuff.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche on a hardtail – how stupid?’ is closed to new replies.