Megavalanche

Home Forum Bike Forum Megavalanche

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Megavalanche
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Few mates were out, saw a vid of the snow and it looked much better than the 2 years I did it, smooth and fast as opposed to porridge the first time and boulders the second!
    This vid should play as public
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=637922876218865
    Rule 1 don’t let go of the bike

butter up the wife – last tango in paris?

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

I saw some of the practice (I was there for roadie stuff!) and it looked awesome. Plus the comedy of watching everyone fall over in the snow.

My mate was out, 8th in his heat, 95th overall (and KOM on Strava πŸ˜‰ )

Due to various reasons I’ve never managed to do it, including having to cancel. It’s on my to do list for sure!

That vid is brilliant.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

cbmotorsport wrote:

That vid is brilliant.

It did bring back memories, looking down staying upright in the snow and seeing a mate lying face down in front of me, missed most of him…

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Ridden the course, but not the race. Best trail anywhere imo.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Got a mate did it, and did pretty well.
    I rode the course last summer non-competitively. Brilliant fun, but I think the actual race would just be immensely frustrating in terms of being held up by traffic and refusals…

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Went out to do the Mega last year but didn’t even make it to the qually – I crashed out in practice and smashed my thumb to bits.
    Want to go back again before I’m too old, just need to convince the Mrs and kids it a good idea!

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

oliver renison wrote:

Got a mate did it, and did pretty well.
    I rode the course last summer non-competitively. Brilliant fun, but I think the actual race would just be immensely frustrating in terms of being held up by traffic and refusals…

If you have the right attitude it can work, it’s a race – you just have a bike with you. I ran sections round people trying to ride rock gardens slowly in traffic.

It is very different (from my experiences) to a normal alpine weeks holiday. We eased off the riding did just enough but not too much – still broke myself and raced. The carnage levels were very high which does make me consider if I would do it again as it would be part of a big trip back up north. It’s also a bit of a lottery.

love that video!!

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

so enough with that roadie stuff theres only been 1 race in france this week

anyone ride it?? looked like loads of snow at the start this year

atherton in 3rd and anne-carro smashed it after breaking her ribs a few weeks back

will defo be going out next year, just have to butter up the wife first!

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

being held up in the race is frustrating but it just encourages you to try even crazier overtaking manouvers

Its an awesome track, best Ive ever ridden, riding it race pace is bonkers too

Ive ridden it on a 120mm xc bike twice and a 180mm dh freeride bike twice too

both had their benefits

really want to take my current 150mm enduro bike out and ride it though!!

Steve77

Yup, just did it for the 2nd time. Came 25th in my qualifier so frustratingly just outside the main race, but was at the front of the Challengers which was lots of fun even if I did mess up the snow section really badly and got dragged back into the pack

There was a crazy amount of snow this year though and it seemed to go on for miles. Lots of skiers were going down as we were waiting for the start too which made for an odd mix

It’s a great event with a fantastic atmosphere and if you’re even slightly thinking about doing it just go for it!

whatnobeer

There’s a some incredible aerial photos on Pinkbike. Shows just how steep and long the snow section at the top is. I’d never really appreciated how big it was! Good effort to anyone who entered and got down in one piece.

andrewh

That’s my summer 2014 project. Can’t afford it this year (time or funds) due to other foreign races but next year should be doable. When do entries open, and do they sell out quick?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

January normally, sells out promptly not instantly I think. Cost is not massive for entry too.

andrewh

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye late December onwards.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

tbh its a bargain for 100 or so quid??

you get qualifying, the race, some post race grub and a weeks lift pass and do you still get a free jersey?

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Think we paid €90 last year for the race and 5 days lift pass, no free jersey.

Hob Nob

I was out there this year. The snow was gash in the week, but froze later so was awesome come race day.

I qualified 13th in my race, which was great, considering I got involved in a crash off the start line & ended up losing loads of places (was front row, and ended up with the first two rows of riders past me. I also managed to have 2 off the bike crashes which wasn’t ideal…

Main race was a write off, I flatted just off the snow, so fixed that, but was near enough at the back. Managed to overtake a few riders and ended up in about 250th, which sucked, but couldn’t really do anything about that.

I chickened out of doing it this year but am determined to sign up next year. I was concerned about the terrain, there seems to be a technical rocky section after the snow at the top with what looks like some steep drops. It’s difficult to see what they’re like from the various helmet cam shots. I’m fine with steep technical stuff in the uk (Peaks, Lakes) and trail centre black stuff, but have no idea how that compares with the terrain on the Mega. How does it actually compare?

andrewh

If it’s anything like the Transvesubienne (run by the same people) it will scare the bejesus out of you. But will be a lot of fun.

mtbant

haha what a fantastic video! I was there this year and well, chickened out of going after a mass start spot after doing a full run down from the top earlier in the week, so just qualified for the Affinity run, which was super good fun but a lot less carnage πŸ™‚ such a good event all around.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I’m fine with steep technical stuff in the uk (Peaks, Lakes) and trail centre black stuff, but have no idea how that compares with the terrain on the Mega. How does it actually compare?

Depends which bits of the lakes you mean, the run from Grisdale Tarn below dollywagon is a good warm up. There is harder natural UK riding than the course but you don’t ride the UK stuff with 400 people.

mtbant

The course only has a couple of really tricky bits on it. Its how long it goes on for which makes it difficult.

After my Quali and the affinity race we went up and took a bunch of photos of randoms.

Mega Quali: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151792952759783.1073741829.622749782&type=1&l=86b60c446e

Then for the pro final some more.

Mega Final: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151793090699783.1073741831.622749782&type=1&l=85404b750f

Maybe some of you will be in there somewhere :O

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

nice carnage on the rocks there, where was that, looks like a change from a couple of years back

Mike Smith, thanks. I think you’re right. Tackling tricky terrain in your own time is one thing, but when you’ve got a shed loads of people coming up behind, it is a different matter. I don’t think anything can really prepare you for that though, and I wouldn’t expect to be qualifying up front anyway (if i’d qualify at all). It doesn’t look that challenging compared to some of the stuff i’ve done in the past and currently do, but its difficult to tell from photo’s and GoPro footage.

jamesoz

I was there, had a bad qually, wasted a front row grid slot then my rear brake failed, one of the pads separated from the backing which meant the front would overheat and fail when I got behind somebody, not sure if its bad form to use other riders to slow down. Awesome riding, can’t wait for the next one.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

theres only a few really technical sections they are on the rocky bits after the glacier and on the way toward ADH and as said they are only really an issue because of the volume of riders, such that in many cases it can be quicker to get off and walk down them instead

the toughest part is hanging onto the bars over such a long time

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

^ that’s where I crashed in practice. Probably would’ve have had walk that bit in the race due to volume of traffic anyway πŸ™„

jamesoz

Oh and the hardest bit aside from the altitude and length of time standing up on the bike is being forced to ride slower than you would want on a technical bit or a line you don’t like because of other riders. It’s easy to ride a section fast, a lot harder to ride slowly off a drop for example.

andrewh

Of those who have done it what bike (or at least frame/fork) did you use? Were you overbiked/underbiked or about right?
    I’ll need something beefier than my XC bikes to do it on, but am on a limited budget. Searching fleabay for frame and fork combos , looking for Orange Patriot/SC Bullit/Kona Stinky, are these sensible options or would a ‘proper’ DH bike be required? Spec BigHits can be had for cheap for example? I’ve got some big brakes (Formula The Ones with 8in rotors) and a dropper post to use.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Were you overbiked/underbiked or about right?

Biggest debate out there
    Year 1 DH bike for Quali & Race due to injuries and poor Quali – OK for fun but not competitive for me.
    Year 2 Heckler with 160mm Forks Perfect in a lot of ways. Nothing that big I struggled pedalled better than a DH bike, started to get sore arms to the end but my forks had given out.

The best thing you can do is really work on technical rock riding.

Premier Icon gary
    Subscriber

Proper DH bike would be too much though I have heard some people use a bigger bike for qualifying which is on a slightly more technical course.

I did it on a 5″ Heckler which was fine and there were a lot of others there too but a little more travel wouldn’t have hurt.

(Caveat : its a few years since I rode)

scottfitz

I’m doing it next year (Well got permission from the wife) But I really want to do it on a HT but my Holeshot it’s to small to ride up hill and my PA is to XC Hmmm… Maybe stick with my prophet.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

scott plan on heading out too with a few others if you are billy no mates welcome to join us

hopefully camping in allemont (cheaper option but a lot quieter than ADH)

scottfitz

I will be racing with the QECP crew but up for campting at the same place, Stoned fish/QECP Colletive vs. France! 😈

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Slight derail but I just heard from No Fuss that this is going to be the last yer of the Macavalanche- it’s on the weekend after next at Glencoe, no helicopters or europop but otherwise the closest thing you can get to the Mega in the UK. Going to try to get up myself, thought it might be of interest

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I’m now sat at home back in Blighty nursing a broken arm, thanks to some **** deliberately pushing my bar during the Mega Amateurs race on sunday morning.

Had been enjoying the event up to that point, was pleased to get into a mass start race despite going down hard on the first corner in the quali and was doing pretty good in the race itself.

Sad not to have got the chance to race the brilliant woodland sections. **** fuming that I won’t be riding for a few months and can’t cut up my own dinner atm.

πŸ‘Ώ

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

On the plus side Chakaping, thats better typing, paragraphs and grammar than most manage with 2 hands πŸ™‚

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

chapaking that sucks, heal up fast!

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

cheers kimbers, healing as quick as i can

πŸ™‚

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

heres a good vid and isnt that atherton fellah a lovely chap

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/The-Megavalanche-Experience-video-2013.html

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Dan and Martin Maes walked past our apartment in matching GT t-shirts and caps while we were tinkering with bikes the night before the qualis.

I clocked them out the corner of my eye and thought they were gendarmes in casual uniforms, so hailed them with a hearty “bonjour”.

Double fail as it should’ve been “bonsoir”.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche’ is closed to new replies.