Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Megavalanche 2012
  • Registration opens today at 4pm.

Anybody else going?

kimbers

oh goodness, must resist, errmmm maybe

Brycey
    Free Member

It’s 3pm France, so is that not 2pm?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Brycey
    Free Member

It’s defo 2pm, I’ll be there!

Good point. 2pm it is.

bluebird
    Free Member

How quickly does this thing fill up?

GavinB

Not that quickly, but it apparently helps to get in quickly in order to get reasonably close to the front of the qualifier heats.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Entered 😀

flange
    Free Member

I’m in

covertchris
    Free Member

First post. Myself and a mate signed up. Cant wait.

Northwind

Can’t really afford it… Next year I hope.

Simon

Looks like I’m going too 😯 I’m slightly excited….

kaesae
    Free Member

I’ve seen asteroid impacts that are in better shape than I am.

Next year if I am fit enough I will go, you have my word on that!

Good luck to everyone going and remember if you enjoy the experience and get as much as you can out of it, your always a winner 😯

blueandwhiteblade
    Free Member

If anyone needs a lift to the 2012 Mega, please get in touch. I’ve got one or possibly two spaces in my car, travelling from Nottingham on Sat 14th or Sun 15th July and will return on Monday 28th to be back in time for work on Tuesday.

It’s supposed to be me and a mate going but his new job means he’s not certain if he can go. I’ve got plenty of room for 3 of us so can definitely take one more, possibly two if my mate can’t make it. I’ve worked out that all travelling costs will be £500 (tunnel, fuel, tolls) which we’ll just split evenly. I’m staying at the campsite in the valley (Allemont).

It’s gonna be a good trip!! Please get in touch if you’re interested on 07725072359.

Cheers.

Stuart

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Whilst we’re on the subject of Megavalanche…

Can someone confirm:-
    – What doctor’s note / insurance etc do I need, or is a British Cycling race license satisfactory for race regulations?
    – Drops on the course – my mates had to walk down one or two drops on the upper section when they had a look at the course a couple of years ago. The rest was fine. Do we need to be able to ride these drops or are there other hapless people like us who won’t be launching it like a pro?
    – Does everyone get a final (Mega, Mega Challenger, Affinity etc etc) or are there some who don’t even make that and just get to ride the full course later?
    – Where does the qualifier generally start and finish? I’ve heard its shorter?
    – Been to the Alps a few times and always run single ply tyres (both tubeless and with tubes) with no issues. Do I really need dual ply?

grum
    Free Member

– What doctor’s note / insurance etc do I need, or is a British Cycling race license satisfactory for race regulations?

I made a fake one which was fine.

– Drops on the course – my mates had to walk down one or two drops on the upper section when they had a look at the course a couple of years ago. The rest was fine. Do we need to be able to ride these drops or are there other hapless people like us who won’t be launching it like a pro?

When I did it there were no big drops, ie nothing much requiring mandatory air – there were some very very steep rock sections which required you to just let off the brakes and go, with no hope of stopping if you wanted to. There was a tricky steep boardwalk section on the qualifier too.

I would go for dual ply personally.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Race Licence is fine, lots of people make a fake doctors letter though.

I don’t recall there being any drops or more than a couple of foot at best on either the qualifier or main race. There are some steep rollers, but there are plenty of lines to bimble round. Yes there is plenty of hapless people stood like lemmings looking at sections.

– Does everyone get a final (Mega, Mega Challenger, Affinity etc etc) or are there some who don’t even make that and just get to ride the full course later?

Yes. Although if you really are out the back end of the qualifier, you don’t get a mass start race, they just time you on an open run on the full track (not sure if it’s the Saturday or the Sunday for that).

– Where does the qualifier generally start and finish? I’ve heard its shorter?

It starts at the top of Dome Des Petites Rousses & now finishes in Huez (town below ADH). Last year it was ~23 mins for the winners, anything up to ~26 mins seemed to get you into the main race, then backwards from there.

– Been to the Alps a few times and always run single ply tyres (both tubeless and with tubes) with no issues. Do I really need dual ply?

Depends if you want to bimble or not. Everyone who we rode with who gambled with single ply tyres had a lot of punctures, so swapped for dual ply & no one punctured for the rest of the week. They would all be at the quicker end of the scale though & there to race/qualify for the main event – all riding & racing DH in the UK.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I’ll be joining the hapless lemmings then!?

mtbant
    Free Member

Thanks chaps, I’ll be joining the hapless lemmings then!?

Me too! cant wait to be stood at the top of some tricky parts scratching my head 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the 2 tricky parts near the top are probably the ladders/board section. Don’t look as you go up in the lift as it looks worse than it is.

Look for straight lines and corner cuts (within the tapes) some avoid the bigger drops (very good lines) and will save seconds/places if there is a section where it looks like the pack will bunch look for a plan B to get round and avoid the queue.

Dual Ply tyres are the sensible option unless you can ride V V V light

I ran 2.35 minions then swapped to 2.5minions.

Docs note BC license counts and is easiest to sort.

Get training started now!! Plenty of longer riding (Trail centre without stopping etc)

Best tip is if you want to take it seriously then it’s a different mentality to a weeks riding with the lads in the alps. No point going hard every day take it easy do 1 (or maybe 2 if you keen) full Mega runs. Break it up and even consider taking the Thurs before quali off (pool time)

Last 2 years I managed to knacker myself in practice (broken toe 1st year and dislocated finger 2nd) so take care, it’s about the weekend!!

Oh and have fun

Steve77
    Free Member

Can you ride the Mega course in the month leading up to the race or is it only open for the race week?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The top half is only open from Wed (I think) normally and only in the morning (not sure about earlier in the season as previous races have been 1st week in July) lower half will be there but may not be marked – last year it was changed massively from the one before

mtbtomo
    Free Member

So….British Cycling race license for Mega….do I need to pay for the full race license or does the provisional race license that automatically comes with silver and gold memberships count?

MrAgreeable

Your basic provisional licence will be accepted. After all, it’s not exactly a UCI-recognised discipline like BMX, 4X… sorry, I mean “XC Eliminator”. 😉

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks Mr A, thats £30 saved….so is it now worth paying the £30 extra to go from silver to gold membership, for the additional accident insurance?

Or will this be covered by my holiday insurance, and who will cover us for doing the race?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No idea if the provisional licence is suitable, does it give you a UCI licence number on it? If so, then it may be worth a try, with a backup gamble doctors note?

I would say don’t bother with the gold. I’ve raced for years & never had a gold, one of my mates who did, who broke his back a couple of years ago at a national got all of about £100 for it.

Dogtag do a specific Mega insurance package, otherwise its a bit of a challenge finding someone who will insure the actual race element.

Just checked, it’s only 7 weeks away – comes round fast!

bluebird
    Free Member

Crumbs, only 7 weeks 😯

So, is everyone running tubes and dual ply tyres? Are tubeless not up to the job?

kimbers

do the organisers not offer insurance for the race, got the package with them last time and it was quite reasonably priced

IA

Are tubeless not up to the job?

I did fine with tubeless DH tyres.

Pro-tip: take CO2 (but don’t fly with the cartridges!). Mini pumps + 2.5 tyres at 3000m is no banter at all.

Highland28
    Free Member

Anyone know of some small volume dual ply tyres? The max tyre size I can run on my bike is 2.25/small2.35, front will be fine, but struggling for the rear.

Can’t wait for it, we are heading out for crankworks, the mega and then a week of riding afterwards, My first mega so it should be interesting.

IA

Maxxis 2.35 come up small.

bluebird
    Free Member

Currently got tubeless 2.35 HighRollers (Folding 62a/72a/LUST) on a Tracer 2. Been great on the XC tracks at Hopton/Eastridge. Prefer not to swapping over to 2.5 42a – they’ll be draggy as hell on the climbs.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ll run tubeless this year, I have a couple of UST dual ply Minion DHF’s sat doing nothing in the tyre pile.

I’m looking forward to it, now I know what to expect after last year 🙂

grum
    Free Member

Thanks Mr A, thats £30 saved….so is it now worth paying the £30 extra to go from silver to gold membership, for the additional accident insurance?

Or will this be covered by my holiday insurance, and who will cover us for doing the race?

Provisional license and a shoddy fake doctor’s note was fine for me a couple of years ago (mind you I wonder what the fake doctor’s note does for your insurance?).

Snowcard will insure you for downhill bike racing but it’s not cheap.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Anyone know if the friends and family pass allows you to use the lifts for regular riding – or is it only for Pedestrians?

Any good ways to cover multiple drivers on one car for driving in France?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The package offered by the organisers I think was about 95 Euro? May have been reasonable when the exchange rate was good, but at more or less 1 to 1 now, a race license of any sort is cheaper.

So far as car insurance…..the first year I went, I could only add someone on for the driving in the UK, so I had to do all the driving in France. But my mate got an extra driver on his policy regardless of country.

So what should my doctor be writing, something to the effect that I’m fit and healthy to race? Or just plain certifiable? 😉

MrAgreeable

I didn’t bother with a doc’s note at all, which wasn’t checked, although they may have tightened up. The cost and type of a GP note can vary greatly apparently. For another race we got a GP mate who we’d raced with to do one for us. It consisted of qualified statements like “to the best of my knowledge…” but seemed to do the trick.

I think my insurance was through Snowcard and unfortunately I needed to use it, due to a crash in the qualifier which needed stitches. I didn’t present my EHIC card at the appointment and ended up getting stung for soemthing like 30 Euros excess as a result. EHIC card now lives in my wallet for foreign riding trips!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Megavalanche 2012’ is closed to new replies.