Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mega slow iPad 2…any hints?
  • cjr61

Our iPad 2 is getting slow especially on safari. I know it’s a little old but it’s still solid. iOS is upgraded to most recent.

Any suggestions to get it moving faster?

Thanks

DickBarton

Have you given it a shake? I’ve found that fixes the Etchasketch back to factory settings and returns it back to normal.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Funnily enough SWMBO has the same issue after one of the kids upgraded. Was handed to me with a “make it work”. Did she have a backup? No of course not. That would be too much to ask. So I too am an interested watcher

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Full restore did it for me .

DT78
    Free Member

Same here. I swear Apple are deliberately coding in making older devices slower to make people upgrade. I view exactly the same sites, it’s gone from a lovely experience to a jumpy leggy slow annoyance.

I find going into settings and deleting website history and cookies can make a small difference.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My option …. Slow running is primarily due to older processor being unable to handle the complex animated ads which surround websites. Also as an older machine it has less RAM. I finally stopped using my ipad1 last year.

Solutions – if you have iOS9 you should try an ad blocker, well worth a couple of quid. I have Peace on my Air 2 but they’ve stopped selling it, there are others. Again in my opinion a re-install / delete old stuff will make very little if any difference.

munkyboy
    Free Member

Don’t upgrade the ios. That’s the issue and the answer you don’t want to hear.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Factory re set made a world of difference to mine

qwertyuiop7
    Free Member

Is it possible to go back to a previous generation of OS ?
    My iphone 4s was working perfectly till i updated, its borderline un-usable now 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

Turning off java script (it’s in the safari settings somewhere) made a huge difference in my iPad 2. It basically made it usable again. I’m on iOS 8.

Tempted to upgrade to ios9 to allow ad blocker – this sped up my iPhone 5s outrageously on some websites. STW by far the worst offender. Page loads went from 45s to about 8s. Sort out the coding and I’ll consider turning it off.

GJP
    Free Member

I did a full restore and that made a huge difference. Still running OS 7 and still running 6 on my mini v1.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I sometimes find that my MBAir runs very slow. Couldn’t work out what it was until I fired up activity monitor and found it was flash on a website running away with itself (hogging 99% processor). Killed that and it was fine. Increasingly coming across more badly written flash doing the same thing. Really wish flash gets killed off for good soon

simon_g

My ipad4 was running pretty slow, and it had a ton of barely used apps. Backed up, did full factory reset, just installed the stuff I need and its much much better.

cjr61

Sorry for slow reply…haha I’m on the iPad!

Can I down grade the iOS?

What is freeloading?

Thanks all

hunterst
    Free Member

You can only downgrade for a few days after the initial release of the IOS Upgrade as far as i know.

Can some please explain freeloading.

onandon
    Free Member

Yesterday I backed up and reinstalled my iPad Air. It’s a quicker beast today. Worth doing if you have a moment.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Someone want to do an Idiots Guide to back up and factory reset so I don’t lose my amazing SimCity or similar data please

onandon
    Free Member

Google it, Apple have already created a guide.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Freeloading is where you install an extension (to Safari) that basically acts as an adblocker. It was big news when Apple launched the latest iOS to allow such extensions. Unfortunately I’m pretty sure it’s not supported on iPad 2, since I’m sure I checked at the time.

cjr61

Turned off JavaScript and already running faster

jambalaya
    Free Member

@huntrest, you buy an app and it stops (massively reduces) ads being displayed in Safari. Appple had to permit aps to do this and did so in iOS9. You will note STW automatically changed tye wording of your post, this is becasue it like many others relies on ads being shown. Problem is the ads have become very intrusive and make some websites hardly worth visiting.

Superficial
    Free Member

For me it’s not the intrusiveness of it, but the massive page-load time hike and the data cost. The content of a forum page is a few KB but the ads are often several MB.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

Ipad 2 user here, just disabled JavaScript and it’s almost as fast as the good old days! Well pleased :0)

eightyeight
    Free Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but try this.

1) Go into the App Store
    2) Tap on any one of the five icons and the bottom of the screen 10 times

This will clear your cache of aborted updates. It should help.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mega slow iPad 2…any hints?’ is closed to new replies.