Search the forum using the power of Google

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Mega or Giga?
  • andylc
    Free Member

So all this talk of the Cycle to Work scheme unfairly benefitting higher rate taxpayers to the tune of a crazy 42% discount has made me think I will do exactly that – just checked and I can spend up to £5k – have been lusting after a Nukeproof Giga 297 for a while but wondering if anyone has tried both the Mega and the Giga. The latter is completely over biking it but my justification is that I love downhill and steep technical stuff the most and am prepared for a slight compromise in trail riding. Current bike is 2015 Norco Range with various upgrades and a slightly slacker head tube angle than it came with originally.
    Thanks in advance!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Watt?

andylc
    Free Member

Erm…? Simple version Nukeproof Mega or Giga as my only mtb, considering I like going downhill fast and steep.

lardman
    Free Member

I have a Giga 297, and also a stump jumper.
    The Giga is really good. Proper braaaap braaaap moto supple and cushdy. I have the coil version with coil fork.

Now, although it rides up hill very well, it’s not nearly as nimble, reactive or poppy as the stump jumper. It’s a steamroller.

For 90% of my riding, it’s way over kill.
    For BPW or alps, then great, but trails and ‘southern’ mountains, it’s just a bit too much.

I’ve not ridden a Mega, but I’d be tempted to go for that. If it’s your only bike.

steveh

I love my mullet giga, not tried an equivalent mega though.

andylc
    Free Member

I think I’ve realised thinking about the answers that regardless of the sense of it I really want a mullet Giga anyway…! Now just need to decide which one! Thinking the Elite represents the best value, then a likely upgrade to AXS shifter and mech in the near future…

mark_rich
    Free Member

I’m tied between between a mega and giga too.
    Can anyone give any comparisons on how the Giga pedals, the reviews seem to say very good but has anyone any ridden one and compare it to anything shorter in travel?

lardman
    Free Member

Can anyone give any comparisons on how the Giga pedals, the reviews seem to say very good but has anyone any ridden one and compare it to anything shorter in travel?

I’ve got a shorter travel 135mm/150mm stumpjumoer too, which is a 4 bar Horst link, as opposed to the linkage actuated single pivot of the Giga.

I’ve not had it long (3 rides in) but I’d say it pedals nearly as well at the stumpy.
    Seat angle is steeper, which means it’s pretty good to pedal uphill.

It moves a fair bit compared to the Stumpy though, so I’m aware of a fair bit more bobbing whilst climbing. Conversely, the movement and traction while cornering is considerably improved over the 4bar. It covers level/undulating ground at speed very well.

The Giga is amazing on harder landings, like landing on a cloud. On lumpy chatter/knarrr/roots, it’s very plush and settled. (I have the Fenix coil version)

It doesn’t ‘pop’ off jumps the way the stumpy does, (my previous 180mm bike was a 4bar coil enduro, so I’m comparing it to that) but it’s just different more than bad.

lardman
    Free Member

If it needed to be a trail bike, for main use, I’d get the Mega over the Giga (although I’ve not actually ridden that) as it’s a monster bike which steamrollers everything, so might be a little too much.

For descending and long Alpine trails though, it would be ace.

mpostle

I have the giga and its a monster truck. Great for BPW and Dirt Farm but way over biked when i tried to drag it round Dalby as it weighs a ton. Even found it over biked for ard rock, its really for the big stuff. Mine weighed 16kg out the box which explained the pain dragging it uphill. I stick to my Spectal 27.5 for trail stuff.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Cheers for the info there, I’m still on the fence.
    I’m looking for something to take abroad for a couple of trips next year and just for general stuff here so was thinking the 297 version of either bike anyway to make it a bit more fun.
    Coming off a stumpy evo which was too big and not much fun tbh but I have an ebike which tends to come out most of the time anyway.
    I’ve been eyeing up the discounted coil frames on CRC and just thinking its a good time to buy one for next years bike.

I have the giga and its a monster truck. Great for BPW and Dirt Farm but way over biked when i tried to drag it round Dalby as it weighs a ton. Even found it over biked for ard rock, its really for the big stuff. Mine weighed 16kg out the box which explained the pain dragging it uphill. I stick to my Spectal 27.5 for trail stuff.

Been a dalby regular too I would say there’s not a lot in there to test a Giga on really.

andylc
    Free Member

But it looks nice!

prettygreenparrot

Oh. I thought this would be about extreme number prefixes.

Mega or Giga? I’ve ridden neither. My inclination would be to go for the Mega as a ‘do everything’ single bike. The Giga looks a bit too much for pootling around gentle trails and countryside rides.

Alex

I have a giga (replaced by RipMo). I also have a 140/130 trail bike (Rascal). I ride the Giga a lot even around here (FoD). Mine is a bit of a weighty beast with coil F&R, 2.6 tyres etc but it pedals really well. It does move about a bit, but considering the size of the thing, it’s a brilliant climber. As long as you’re not in a rush.

Mine has been on the Basque back country tour and to Molini and I was very glad to have it. I’m a pretty average joe rider and it feels like it’s – on paper – way too much bike for me but I really like riding it and you can ride it through/over pretty much anything.  When I get back on my rascal, it feels like a go cart, small, nimble, light. I still probably ride my Giga 2 out of 3 rides here tho when it’s dry.

Mine is the full 29er not the mullet.  A mate has the 29 Mega and he really likes that. His XL (alloy) is about as heavy as my L (carbon) so it’s probably more about how they ride rather than the slightly shorter travel one being lighter if that bothers you.

joebristol

I ride a Sentinel 29er with Lyrik ultimate / coil shock.

I had a quite ride back to back with a Mega 297 that had a PE Fox 38 and ext coil. It felt like a lot of bike and made the sentinel feel like a poppy trail bike. I’d say the Mega feels like more of a monster truck than the Stumpy Evo I’ve had a go on before.

I’d think for an all rounder that would also be good on chunky stuff the Mega would be plenty for most people.

ajt123
    Free Member

Pinkbike did a recent review of the Giga vs the Reactor;

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/short-or-long-travel-which-is-the-best-all-round-mtb.html#:~:text=The%20Reactor%20has%20130%20mm,frame%20and%20fork%20are%20different.

The Giga came very, very close to the Reactor on the climbing.

You can interpret this as the Reactor being a pig to climb on [no idea, but it has rather low anti-squat], or the Giga being really rather impressive.

That being the case, you’d assume the Mega was something inbetween; I’d go Giga if I was choosing between a Big and a Bigger bike given that there seems to be very little downside to getting the Giga from a climbing point of view.

mark_rich
    Free Member

ajt123
    Free Member
    Pinkbike did a recent review of the Giga vs the Reactor;

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/short-or-long-travel-which-is-the-best-all-round-mtb.html#:~:text=The%20Reactor%20has%20130%20mm,frame%20and%20fork%20are%20different.

The Giga came very, very close to the Reactor on the climbing.

Good article that, cheers for posting.

Funnily enough both them bikes were on ebay last night on tri-sports store (wiggle outlet) as ex demo bikes.
    Had a bid on the Giga, would of preferred an XL but I thought if it was cheap enough I’d of done a frame swop.
    Anyway just missed out 😬

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search the forum using the power of Google

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.