Mega noisy brake pads

Home Forum Bike Forum Mega noisy brake pads

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Mega noisy brake pads
  • muzzle

I had the same issue with some Uberbike sintered pads; they wailed like nothing on earth when new even though I’d bedded them in. They settled down after a couple of rides and don’t make a sound now. Well, either that or they made me go deaf.

Painey

Mine have been like it for quite a few rides now and I made a point of bedding them in properly. They seem to make the brakes vibrate a lot as well which really doesn’t inspire confidence. I used to have superstar pads in my old avid juicy brakes on another bike, never had any problems with those aside from the tight fit.

Really not happy with these, even said yesterday to some ramblers “at least you can’t say you didn’t hear me”!

joolsburger

It’s the discs not the pads. You need to clean off pads with both disc cleaner and emery paper to get back to a completely clean braking surface. Bed your pads in again and it will go.

Worked for me

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Silence-That-Squeaky-Disc-Brake-2011.html

bigyinn

You could try putting a chamfer on the leading edge of the pads, it might help?

Painey

Any ideas on how to cure them?

In short, I fitted some new sintered pads recently to my Avid X0 brakes and they’re ridiculously, stupidly loud and annoying. Riding around the Surrey hills yesterday and every time I hit the brakes it’s like an air horn on an american fire truck.

The rotors aren’t contaminated and I’ve cleaned them recently anyway, plus both front and rear brakes do it (thought I’d do both sets whilst I was there). The pads were from uberbike, should I just bin them and get some proper avid ones at 3 times the cost??

Cheers

raisinhat

I switched from cheap superstar and uberbike pads to proper shimano pads and all of the horrible noise has disappeared completely. The cost savings weren’t worth my vanishing sanity and numerous attempts to fix the problem, none of which ever worked for more than one ride.

my newest sets of superstar sintered wouldnt stop squealling no matter what, rain or shine, horrible horrible noise

got some uberbrake organics and not a sound since (only in wet untill braking), wear seems pretty good too one month in and no major signs of wear even in the peak district grit at present!

ill probably try some sintered when it gets completely wet and filthy everywhere

but a good mix of wet and dry at the minute and the uberbrake organics are doing a great job, plus they have way more bite/power than the sintered they replaced

i must admit this time i properly bedded in the organics so longevity may be better due to that (i dont usually bed pads in properly)

atlaz

I switched from superstar pads to original Formula pads in my Rx to cure the problem. It didn’t cure the problem.

nealy

It’s the discs not the pads. You need to clean off pads with both disc cleaner and emery paper to get back to a completely clean braking surface. Bed your pads in again and it will go.

Worked for me

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Silence-That-Squeaky-Disc-Brake-2011.html

This +1

I had a bit of a search on bedding in brakes and you need to start with new rotors or sandpaper and clean them then bed them in properly which requires the pads and rotors being hot and then many repeated hard brakings without coming to a complete stop. Once you’ve got an even layer of pad material on the rotors it will continue to build up the more you use them although I’m not entirely sure how it will hold up to some wet gritty rides!If the pad material is not even spread around the rotors they will make a noise.

Saying that I don’t like Superstar/Uberbike or any other sintered pads as although they are long lasting I don’t like the feel of them and they are noisier. I’ve recently fitted Uberbike Race Matrix pads which feel and sound like organic but are meant to last longer than kevlar and nearly as long as sintered, took a fair bit to bed them in but they are great now.

organics will cure it though if its doing your head in that badly (like mine were)

Painey

It is definitely doing my head in!! Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Premier Icon trusty
    Subscriber

My Formulas have done it from new, original pads too 😥

atlaz

Are they saying you need to sand the discs for every new set of pads or only if you have that problem?

Premier Icon _daveR
    Subscriber

My m785 XTs have just started doing this on the OE pads. Fitted them and bedded them in and they were fine. Not used the bike for a few weeks and yesterday the front brake was useless, just no friction there at all. Lever was firm, but just squeal and little stopping force.

Cleaned everything with alcohol last night but will take some wetdry paper to the pads and disc to try that too.

Who’s best for some organic pads though?

nealy

Are they saying you need to sand the discs for every new set of pads or only if you have that problem?

Definitely if you’re changing pad compound and as you need to bed in all new pads it’s prob best doing it if swapping like for like.

daveR – Organic pads don’t last 5 minutes in winter, stick with sintered or take a punt on Uberbike race matrix which are “mega” now they’re bedded in properly with properly bled SLX brakes (not that the brake brand matters)

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

There’s about a million things that can cause brake noise tbh so it’s not that simple. Worn discs, dirty discs, new discs, misaligned calipers, sticky pistons, some pads do it more, some rotors do it more, some combinations of rotors and pads do it more… New, old, dirty, glazed, worn out or notbroken in pads. Some combos of frame, caliper and mounts don’t play well together. Some bikes seem to amplify it. Not exhaustive…

Also some of us just have the Bad Touch, 2 seconds after I get on a bike the brakes start wailing. I’ve learned to live with it.

uselesshippy

May I be the first to suggest a liberal squirt of gt85. 😀
    On the bright side, I find loud brakes help me ride faster. All my mates know when I’m braking like a big Jessie. 😀

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Nealy means these ones I think:

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/category/426/View-all-Race-Matrix-Disc-Brake-Pads-here

FWIW I threw 2 sets in the bin after a day in the half in the alps, as they were shit, hopelessly inconsistent (when they were good, they were good, mind, but they varied in performance from stop to stop) But ymmv.

Premier Icon _daveR
    Subscriber

Mixed experience then?

TBH, I’m not that fussed if I get through pads quite quickly. I’d rather have lots of power and put a set of pads in once a month than have iffy brakes. On that basis, what would people suggest?

Get some organic if you want silence, I’ve bought 4 sets for 18 quid and like you if they only last a month each set it’s not bad for 18 really!

Like I said I’ve now had my organic uberbikecomponents pads in for over a month now and not much wear at all! So in this basis it’s gonna be at least 2 months per set which 19 quid for four sets means ill only use 2 sets every two months = 4 sets every four months give or take! Doesn’t seem bad value for 18 quid

They do squeal in the wet when it’s raining but as soon as you get the brakes warm the noise goes

My sintered last year were silent in the thick winter mud even in the wet so I may try them again when it’s fully crappy out there, but if these pads keep lasting as they are I don’t see the point

Will see how they wear but at the minute they are silent as can be with organics and stop me great so I’ll live with that for now

darkslider

Going to chuck my 2p in here too. I had one set of Superstar Organic pads left from the last batch I bought, and bought a pack of four Sintered from them as well for the welsh champs at BPW on the weekend.

Cleaned both rotors with brake cleaner then fitted the SS organic pads to the back brake and sintered to the front, both identical Hope M4 brakes. After some heavy braking down the fireroad to bed them in by halfway down on the first run both brakes were working spot on, loads of bite and power with zero noise. Sintered pads would squeal slightly when cold but by the second or third corner on the track the noise was gone which was fine by me.

However come the 2nd day the back brake with its organic pads was still working brilliantly, but the squealing came back gradually on the front until it was like a truck horn the whole way down the track even once they were well warm.

Think my next course of action is to swap the pads front to back to make sure it’s definitely the pads that are the issue and not my brakes at fault, then I might get in touch and see if I can change them for kevlar or organic ones. There’s a few reviews on the SS website saying other people have had problems with the latest batch of sintered pads being really noisy but I’m prepared to give them a bit of a chance yet.

I’d agree totally with that my superstar sintered last year were silent come rain or shine

After my superstar sintered ran out I ordered some more about a month ago , and the new
    would not stop squealing come rain or shine lightly braking or heavily braking

I defo concur the latest sintered batch for some reason are noisy as hell

That’s when I turned to überbrakes organics and not looked back, if they do end wearing stupidly fast come winter months I’ll try überbrakes sintered to see if they fair better noise wise

nealy

Nealy means these ones I think:

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/category/426/View-all-Race-Matrix-Disc-Brake-Pads-here

FWIW I threw 2 sets in the bin after a day in the half in the alps, as they were shit, hopelessly inconsistent (when they were good, they were good, mind, but they varied in performance from stop to stop) But ymmv.

Yep those. Since bedding them in properly AND bleeding them properly as they were quite soft they have been great. Very similar in feel and performance to organic so progressive, smooth, quiet and powerful and mine have been totally consistent. Off for a 3 day jolly in Wales in a couple of weeks so that will give them a proper test but been round Saddleworth/Dove Stones and Rivi with them in so they have had a bit of work.

Organics are a mistake in winter IMO as they won’t last one wet, gritty, long ride. If the Race Matrix last a few months then I’ll be happy

nealy fair enough in your opinion, but to counteract that i had one wet 30 mile ride on sunday in the peak district grit/wet/mud/sand and my organic pads still looked the same as before, and there was plenty of braking involved

and they have been in for over a month already, and done very similar rides in that last month with no ‘major’ wear

im only 11stone though so whether that makes a difference i dont know

im not saying they will outlast sintered by any stretch in winter, but if they are bedded in properly and get close enough to longevity of sintered then id sacrifice that for silence any day!

Premier Icon _daveR
    Subscriber

I think I’ll order up a selection and have a little experiment.

Premier Icon ART
    Subscriber

Think my next course of action is to swap the pads front to back to make sure it’s definitely the pads that are the issue and not my brakes at fault, then I might get in touch and see if I can change them for kevlar or organic ones. There’s a few reviews on the SS website saying other people have had problems with the latest batch of sintered pads being really noisy but I’m prepared to give them a bit of a chance yet.

Interested in this … having had a very noisy week in the Alps with the latest sintered pads from SS. Ear plugs ahoy, but actually quite annoying after a while 👿

nealy

nealy fair enough in your opinion, but to counteract that i had one wet 30 mile ride on sunday in the peak district grit/wet/mud/sand and my organic pads still looked the same as before, and there was plenty of braking involved

and they have been in for over a month already, and done very similar rides in that last month with no ‘major’ wear

im only 11stone though so whether that makes a difference i dont know

im not saying they will outlast sintered by any stretch in winter, but if they are bedded in properly and get close enough to longevity of sintered then id sacrifice that for silence any day!

Are you saying I’m fat 😆

To give a bit more info, about 1 1/2 years ago I went up to Rivi for the first time in the wet with almost new organic pads that probably weren’t bedded in properly in Avid Elxirs that were dragging badly due to them being Avid Elixirs and they lasted 2 hours before they were so worn down the pistons locked out. At the time I was 13.5 stone (now down to 11.5 \o/) but the dragging brakes were no doubt the main reason they wore out so quick. Since then I’ve been using sintered from Superstar and Uberbike and got SLX brakes a year ago so don’t have dragging brakes anymore. The sintered were howling like a banshee over summer so I stuck the original Shimano organic pads in which were great and quiet but didn’t see the point in destroying them in the wet so got the Race Matrix pads which perform the same and fingers crossed will last well.

Sounds like you’re getting good life from organics if they are lasting that long in the Peak District, bedding them in properly does make the pads harder but still impressive.

😆 hey fatty bum bum….. 😉

ive run organics this summer (and it was pretty dry and perfect organic pad weather) and had one month out of my superstar ones, but i must admit truthfully i never bedded them in, i literally just ran them fresh out the package and rode, thats when i went back to sintered superstar, unfortunately they are a new batch and seem to just howl and howl….couldnt stand it as no matter what i tried they howled, so i swapped for these organic uberbike ones and i thought maybe just maybe it may be worth bedding them in, so i found a super steep hill and bedded in fully as i used to many years ago (just got lazy and never done it in recent years)…this time these organics have already easily outlasted the organic superstars i didnt bed in (and these have endured much worse conditions going into autumn) and like i say a quick check at the end of the ride and there is no major wear, still plenty of pad and lever still feeling the same and not spongy as though the pads are wearing down…

does sound to me like your useage of the organics is exactly how i was with mine previous to this set (ie non-existent bedding in 😆 )

so yeah, im still gonna use them going into winter, i shall see how they fare, and if they start fully disintegrating quickly after under a month then fair enough, but if i get a good 2 months out of each set id be more than happy at 17quid for 4 sets…

i probably will experiment with another brand of sintered, just to see if they are’nt gonna howl the same (the newest batch of superstar seem to howl horribly, which never ever happened before in over 3 years of using them)…but ill try some discobrakes or uberbike sintered if things get terribly messy over winter and i feel the pad wear of the organics is terrible

but to sum up really and the whole point of me joining this discussion was the organics are SILENT*!!!!! so if you like nice quiet brakes then get some organic 😆 just make sure you bed them in properly

* (bar in the rain/wet, but a few sharp pulls of the brake does indeed get rid of the unwanted noise, ie not constant!)

darkslider

After reading all this I think I’ll be asking SS to change my sintered pads for one of their other types, does anyone have any experience of the Kevlar ones?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I use Superstar’s kevlars, I think they’re excellent but, when cold or wet they’re noisy. I don’t care much but you obviously do, so this time of year I’d say look at something else!

joolsburger

I had lots of howling since putting on a new superstar sintered set on the back about a month ago. Sanded my discs replaced with a kevlar set, bedded them in properly and have silence. Front kevlar pad is wearing really well, lasted about 4 months so far so maybe try a set of those.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Mega noisy brake pads’ is closed to new replies.