Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Mega Help!
  • quincie
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    Im hoping one of you have been to mega avalanche before. Im planning on doing it next year and am wondering what advice you’d be able to give me on what to take etc. Oh and whether not the bike i have at the moment will be up to scratch (new DB sortie 3) . Also if anyone stayed anywhere they’d recommend to go to or stay clear of.

Feed me info!

plumber
    Free Member

Lots of advice on here already – use the search function

quincie
    Free Member

Yeah sorry couldnt find them when i posted this! found one hiding at the bottom of my search though, cheers! knew thered be one! Anyway to delete this thread? Im quite new to the whole forum thing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yatesy

put a list of things your not sure of up il answer as many as poss for you

Northwind

I’m thinking of doing it next year… If I do, will make it simple for myself and just sign on for the week with summitdown, that takes care of a lot of the things I would otherwise no doubt screw up.

quincie
    Free Member

Do i need the full body armor and helmet?
    How much was the accomodation when you were there?
    How have i not seen that summitdown site before?
    Would an ‘average/good’ rider (thats what i put myself under) be able to hack it?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’re a good rider then you’ll find the track fairly straight forward and I guess you probably wont be wearing body armour either (although a helmet is a good idea!)

jambalaya
    Free Member

@quince have you read anything on the event – helmet ? Have you watched any on-line video re your body armour question.

quincie
    Free Member

@jambalaya yes i have read up on the event. Ive been the official site and the unoffical british one. Both just ran over briefly what to take. Ive tried finding online videos but all ive found is people actually doing the run. Also, yes i obviously will be taking a helmet, I forgot to clairfy whether or not itd need to be a full face helmet i need. I just dont really want to be paying out 400+ quid on armor i dont need.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Full Face is mandatory I think elbows are too. Would suggest taking other stuff if you have it.
    We did a big group chalet so cheaper. There is paid & free camping and lots of other ski accom. Best to have a few of you but don’t book unless they have entered. If there is a group of you doing it you all enter on Day 1 🙂
    No idea about summit down
    How do you define average/good?
    Have you done the alps before?
    It’s got the feel of proper mountain riding in places riding the lakes helped me feel comfortable and having done 6/7 alps trips and DH. Saying that if your not going balls out it’s not that bad. The toughest bit is really doing the tech bits either tired or in a massive group hammering along.
    Fitness is the other key it’s hard to keep the effort up for the whole race if your not fit.

Other top tips – it’s not a riding holiday if you want to take it seriously. If you do every lift every day you will burn out fast and chance picking up a knock.
    Make sure you have 500 euros spare for medical emergency the docs don’t care if your insured or not.
    BC Membership covers you instead of a medical cert.
    Take spares stuff there is expensive. Driving gives most options for spare wheels, mechs etc.

Have a look at the videos and see what you think.

As for bike 130-170mm seems the main range depending on skill/comfort/what you have. There is always debate about what bike but there is a fair bit of pedaling. A DH bike may be faster in practice but when it comes to it unless you get out in front your not getting the benefit as there are loads of other people in the way. I had a mechanical in my first year and ended up at the back of the field desperately trying to pass people who couldn’t ride the harder bit with queues everywhere. Caused me another crash too.

quincie
    Free Member

thanks for that! thats what i needed to hear!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Do you need back protector? Thought in France it was mandatory for DH racing. Maybe not for enduro though.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No.

Other than a full face, the only ‘official’ thing you need to wear is elbow pads, although i’ve never been checked.

Interesting set of rules that determine elbow pads more important than knees!

kayak23

Can’t help on the actual race advice, but just to say, the track is awesome. Pretty difficult in places at pace and knackering too…

br
    Free Member

Start getting fitter, now.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Quincie i am going to be honest here… possibly brutally so.

Your questions would suggest a lazy approach and a lack of experience, not only with regards to Alpine biking but biking in general.

We all start somewhere and the fact I have been riding for many years and still find new challenges is part of the appeal.

So I have some questions for you…

Why do you want to do the Mega?

Are you truely a average/good rider, most I know that consider themselves that are not… so if not would it be right to enter an event that is ruined for many by riders that cause major blockages due to an inability to ride the few tech sections there are or are not strong enough to maintain a good pace for over an hour?

Do you have the kit that will withstand a tough weeks hammering and still work/be safe? Your bike will be on the limit and your wheels are unlikely to stand up, plus you need DH tyres and tubes.

Do you have the protective equipment to keep you safe? You should have a full face, googles and armour anyway from UK uplift days.

If the answer to either of the last 2 is no then why are you looking to do the Mega?

Ok so I sound like a right mean barsteward but I am trying to make a point.

The Mega is something that a rider sould do at least once as it is a good event but it is far from the best way to spend a weeks holiday. If you are new to the Alps then a guided catered chalet week with a decent company will mean you get the best from the trails and the guide will take you on trails that challenge and improve you throughtout the week.

You also get to meet great people and after a couple of years doing this type of holiday then it is naturel to look to the Mega…. The Mega is not a badge of honour it is just a days riding…. but it is a days riding that can be fun if you are ready for it.

And yes I have done it and yes I have queued at sections due to slow riders and yes i have been T boned by riders that were out of control…. so I do feel like I have never achieved a position that suits but hey… thats racing so don’t feel that is my only motivation for posting.

The main reason for posting is to suggest that A/ you research properly yourself and B/ to try and get across that maybe this is not the best way to spend your hard earn time off and money.

Whatever you do enjoy…

zerocool

Been a few times over the last 5-6 years. The track itself isn’t that technical, but after 30 minutes of flogging yourself up and down hill flat out it is much easier to make mistakes than if you aren’t going at race pace. Don’t lie to yourself that you’ll take it a bit easy as once you start the red mist comes down and all you want to do it overtake people.

I’ve never worn elbow guards, but recommend knee (and shin if you want) and some kind of upper body armour/spine guard as there are a lot of places where you could do yourself an injury.

I normally camp at the bottom all week as you can ride a bit later because you don’t have to catch the last ride back to the top which means you have the trails to yourself when everyone staying in Alpes D’Huez is going home.
    The three most important things to work on are:
    1 – Fitness
    2 – Fitness and
    3 – Fitness.
    It’s not like a normal day in the Alpes where you get a 10 – 15 minute rest after each ride. It’s a long slog.
    I’ve done it on bikes ranging from 150mm Free ride bikes, Commencal Meta 5 and a DH bike and to be honest the best bike is the one you’re used to. The Meta 5 was fine for the whole race and made the up hills a lot nicer. The DH bike was fun on the descents but you end up pushing up the hills. If I go out again this year it’ll be on an Alpine 160 as DH bikes are not necessary.

Tom KP

Ps
    I seem to destroy AT LEAST 1 mech a year in Alpes D’Huez so take spares of everything like that as it’s not cheap out there and racing with a bodged single speed is not that much fun (trust me). My bro did it on his hardtail one year and the next day went out and bout a full susser.
    But it’s an awesome experience and everyone should try it at least once.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As were throwing experience round in 2011 the damage from a chalet of 10
    1 roval wheel
    Lots or stuff worked loose
    1 Dh wheel
    Pedals
    Suspension service needed
    1 broken arm 1st day
    Bruised ribs
    Bruised shoulders
    Dislocated finger (and near vomiting when I realised where it was pointing)
    General bruising
    Big ankle damage

That year was good on bikes but bad on bodies.

Not wanting to put anyone off just giving perspective.

plumber
    Free Member

My experience this year – spent about £1200 all in for travel, accom, food, bike extra stuff and entry.

Already had bike and knee arm pads, Full face helmet and spares

Basically it broke my bike,
    I had an amazing time doing it,
    I will never do it again.
    Don’t ride too much before the events as you will get tired.
    There were loads of people clearly out of their depth walking down what I consider easy stuff
    If you won’t ride down anything in the UK then you should not consider it.
    Find the steepest, longest steps you can, ride down them for 2 hours,if you cant do that then don’t bother.

Easily the hardest thing i’ve done physically and mentally but an amazing rush when you have completed it.

It has totally spoilt my enjoyment of riding in the UK now because everything is so easy in comparison and that is why I won’t be doing it again

Plum

missnotax
    Free Member

Hmmmm.

Summitdown are brilliant – I was out with them for the Mega this year and I couldn’t recommend them enough.

As for the race itself, I did the practice runs blah blah but decided not to do the race itself. My top tip is do not underestimate the severity of the riding – a great proportion of it is lovely and pedally and really good, but i’m not ashamed to admit that the tricky bits were too much for me to ride. On a good day I could have ridden / walked over the tricky bits but add in hundreds of lads racing behind you and it’s suddenly a very different ball game. Stopping and getting off isn’t always an option.

I consider myself to be a pretty decent rider, but I have no desire to attempt the Mega again!

quincie
    Free Member

@mbnut, I actually do appreciate the honesty, now to answer all the queries! I want to do mega because i saw it was one of the big ones so i wanted to challenge myself to be able to do it(my aim). Also your point on being a decent rider was good, ive been looking around more and more forums and ive seen complaint after complaint of people holding them up so yeah in all honesty i DO think im a good rider, im up at glentress or the pentlands nearly twice a week now so my skill is only really going up. The other question you asked was whether not my kit is good enough, and the answer to that is i don’t know I have a diamondback sortie 3. I may come off as a lazy rider and whatever but its actually just because i never use forums and this is pretty much the first forum ive been on ever that ive actually posted on. So for that i apologize! The rest of the kit though I dont have either ive not been riding enough to have invested in the full face helmet and armor yet. Thats why i wanted to know if id be needing all of that jazz, which as it turns out i do!

The idea you suggested for doing the chalets sounded better to be honest ease myself into it and what not. My idea of mega was kind of similar to doing a marathon, your racing but your not planning on coming first but just competing which i liked the thought of! Sorry if ive offended too, i tried finding other posts for mega on the site but their only seemed to be one (which ive now posted on). I don’t know the ins and outs of forums either ive posted on a couple other topics giving advice too so i haven’t been a total sponge!

I am still planning to do mega though, maybe not this year but ill see how it goes!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Glentress isnt really comparable to riding in the Alps. You’d be better off riding the downhill tracks at Innerleithen which is just across the way. If you’re confident on them then you wont have any problems with the Mega track (apart from the Glacier maybe!)

bobbyspangles

good on you quincie. its only a bike race, keep practising and training then go have fun on the track.

first time i went over for the mega we did not have a clue but each year after that we knew a little more.

stay open minded and if you need any more help get in touch.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think there was some stuff on here about prep for it also.

But if I was to set some levels to aim for before committing (in order for it to be enjoyable) I would suggest:
    Make sure you have been to the alps once before to appreciate what a long DH runs are
    Do some UK uplift or a race get an idea of how you are in crowds
    Ride some of the tougher UK trail centers – GT isn’t one of them
    Ride some big mountains – Hellvellyn, Snowdon – plenty in scotland too. The tougher bits felt more like natural mountains than DH tracks. There are certainly some unmade parts that can look fairly intimidating.

It’s not a DH race but some elements feel like it especially on a shorter travel bike.

I felt I was very well prepared the second year – 1st was learning and working it out. (I’ve done a lot of alps trips, UK DH, Gravity Enduros and a lot of big natural riding) But injury and illness still messed up my race.

Quote of the first trip
    “If you think thats hard you should see the lakes” (the guy had been down dollywaggon 2 weeks prior)

bwaarp
    Free Member

Coil shock or a spare air can. The mega eats air cans.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Coil shock or a spare air can. The mega eats air cans.

Lol the alps killed my coil but the aircan lived on.

However the other advice of nothing novel, lightweight, unique of fancy holds well……

Mbnut
    Free Member

Hi Quincie, you certainly didn’t offend me , i was concerned about offending you.

I appreciate what you are saying regarding a ‘goal’ but I do recommend the guided holiday route. These holidays are generally fantastic and you can rock up on your own and within a day you will have made some buddies so it is a great way of doing things.

As for kit, your bike would probably struggle but attention to maintenance is as important as bling it… more so in fact, for Alps trips I use solid gear, stuff I trust and the blingy lightweight gear stays at home.

A set of DH tyres and some body armour are a must really as is a full face, again it is not a fashion show… last seasons armour can be had at low prices and full face helmets can cost very little so long as you don’t want a top of the range jobbie.

I guess my main point is that now you are into mountain biking it is a hobby for life, I am quite old, cough, comfortably in the vets class… and have been riding fof 13 years and I still find new challenges every year and I am riding better than ever… my point is don’t be in a rush, there is plenty of time to do the Mega over the next few years and then you can eye up the next challenge… take your time and remember that whilst new wheels and better brakes may help you go faster to some degree the very best place you can invest your money is in yourself, a good coach can make a stunning difference for the price of a pair of tyres.

Only slightly jealous of where you live but I do have some super gnarly trails in Kent…. maybe

plumber
    Free Member

I recall with absolute clarity being at the start of the qualifier with 2 mins to go. 50 guys in front and 200 behind, the music starts to blare, the helicopter rises as I looked around and wanted someone to give me a hug. I’ve never been scared in my adult life but I was then.

By the first corner I was pretty much last, but I rode everything and that was an achievement to me considering the amount of traffic jams and bike walkers around.

First aim is to finish

missnotax
    Free Member

Glentress isnt really comparable to riding in the Alps. You’d be better off riding the downhill tracks at Innerleithen which is just across the way. If you’re confident on them then you wont have any problems with the Mega track (apart from the Glacier maybe!)

This!

I have ridden in the Alps a number of times, I’m happy on trail centre stuff and ‘friendlier’ downhill trails (Cwmcarn etc) and I felt that parts of the Mega were way above my skill level. I mean specifically the black downhill course with the wooden bits near the top of the qualifier, for anyone that rode it this year!

In my humble opinion, you really need to be happy on proper DH tracks OR have absolutely mint technical skills to comfortably ride the quali / Mega. Sadly I seemed to have neither!!! 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@quice – I appreciate your open attitude – I was being a little punchy as I didn’t think you’d researched it well enough. FWIW the Mega is on my to-do list, as an experience, realistically I’m not going to be racing anyone. The way I’d do it is to get out a day or two before for a bit practice, do the event then move on to a guided week somewhere else. We saw quite a few Mega race numbers in Morzine/Portes du Soleil this year of guys who’d done the same.

In terms of grear I would certainly rent/buy full body armour. I have full face and knee/shin/elbow pads but my 661 undergarment is no where near beefy enough for the amount of rocks and likelihood of crashing or being crashed into by another rider)

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I got a full face No Fear helmet for £40 off CRC and the Brand X pressure suite with spine protector for £60.

The DB Sortie would probably be ok – its vaguely similar to a Commencal Meta with that linkage? I found 2.5 Super Tacky tyres and wide bars made more difference on the switchbacks than the extra travel on the bike I took over my normal bike.

It happens in racing, people hold you up but its no different to any sport with competitors of different abilities. The seriously good riders just get past regardless.

Do it, aim to finish and anything else is a bonus. There’s a few tricky bits but a lot of people do walk them so you wouldn’t be the only one. I made up for my ineptitude on the tricky bits by being reasonably fit and ok on the pedally bits.

I did it this year but I’ve been going abroad biking since 2004 (but never got much better!?) and had a vague idea what to expect.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I went out there with Plumber ^^^ for my first time this year.
    I’ll try to relay a slightly different perspective as a virgin Mega rider.

I started my qualifier on the very back row, got past 80 odd folk and was absolutely gutted to just miss out on a mass start. I suspect the whole experience of the event depends mostly on what pushes your button and how you respond to it all.
    Personally, I really enjoyed the whole Mega experience and I WILL be back as it’s unfinished business.
    I definately wasn’t fit enough and probably wasn’t aggresive enough. So, I know where I can do better next time.

I haven’t ridden any proper downhill tracks so can’t really compare but I wouldn’t think it warrants that comparison as the bikes that seem to do best on the Mega are your regular 140-160 mm trail bikes.
    To calibrate your skills/stamina, I’d think the nearest UK test pieces would be the long big-mountain singletrack descents like Snowdon Rangers and Skiddaw (via Ullock Pike).

ndthornton
    Free Member

The Mega is not that technically challenging – just punishingly brutal and long!! but a great feeling when you cross the line. Do hundreds of push ups and plenty of cardio training before you go. Bring some extra-large balls and some calming tablets for the start. Then find a happy place and try to ignore the pain for an hour. Also practice alternate braking with your middle and ring fingers as you will need this. Practice breathing 10% oxygen for the top half followed by 90% dust at the bottom. Remember its all about the start so go for it – otherwise practice shouting at people to get out of your way and running around huge clumps of humanity. Oh and watch out for the piranhas and alligators too.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Mega Help!’ is closed to new replies.