Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Mega avalanche qualification times
  • Taz

Anyone know roughly the times required to make the main event in 2011 ( same course this year ). Also the rough cut offs for the challenger and amateur races.

I know it varies but just trying to get a sense

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Variable!

Last year and one before it same time varied by 30 places depending on quali.

Think it’s about top 35 in Mega then in 35 lots from there.

Roughly Sub 30min for a chance of mega
    sub 40 for next one
    prob sub 45 for last mass start

though it all depends who and what happens. Also unless you were offered a front row place practice times are fairly meaningless as the chance of a clean run is slim – saying that I was clear from the ladders last year as there was a pile up after me and I just went for it and got 2nd race.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It doesn’t vary much from the fastest qualifier time to the slowest to get into the main race.

Last year the quali winning times was around 21.30 & the slowest to qualify for the main event was ~25.30.

You need to be well under 30 mins to make the next down race based on last years results.

Top 35 go through, I was 15th or 18th (can’t remember) with a time around 23.30. Started on the 4th row, so had fair a bit of overtaking to do, but it can be done. I know someone (pretty fast DH rider) who was on the last row of his quali & he came 10th.

The key is to wring yourself out for the first 5 or so minutes down the fire road, over the flat lunar section & all the way down to the top of the DMC lift where it turns into a proper track as that’s the only time you are going to overtake big numbers of people, after that, it’s just picking off individual people mostly.

Taz

Thanks mike.

That helps. Just did the run yesterday and was down in about 28 or so and was cruising on the flat. I know the race will be very different and luck will play a BIG part but nice to know that a goal of 1st or 2nd race is not pie in the sky

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2nd was fine with knackered finger and stinking head cold so with luck and a good start it’s not too bad.

As Hob Nob said the start is key, once you hit the singletrack it’s limited passing. get up there and have a look at some corner cuts (within the tapes) as there are lots of choke points. If you can get round bunch or crash there it save time and makes places. Also the section parallel to the road at the lower lift station was doable going round the stupid double/tables keeping flat out all the way (saddle up by then)

At the ladders in the top there is a straight line through the corners above there that can either work or end in T-bone.

Taz

Thanks both

Yes did think that the blue road side section would be faster just pedalling like heck rather than jumping

Hob Nob – that is fast.

Guy in bike shop told me there wa a lot less snow last year (big chunks of the initial fire road are still covered this week) but still – fair play indeed 🙂

Hopefully find out what row I start from soon. Mate has confessed that he ‘manufactured’ a few results when he enetered to boost his start point. I wish I had thought of that. Fear I may be nearer the back than the front 🙁

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It is faster to go round the jumps – especially the last ‘quad’ one. Shame, if they built the jumps properly you could hit them at a decent speed.

There was very little snow last year, other than the usual 2 little patches on the flat lunar bit there was nothing, again very little on the main race too.

I think most people bend the truth a bit on entries, the apartment block we stayed in last year could have housed 50+ Steve Peat’s by what they put on the entries. I think it’s mostly pot luck, unless you have a race licence & a national ranking – get sharpening your elbows & practising a few sprints!

I think there might be a few more big names there this year, it’s the week before a World Cup that’s not far away so should make it more fun.

Taz

LOL Cheers Hob Nob.

Will get a few more runs in over ethe next few days then my family go home and the mates arrive. Should be a great few days riding regardless.

Will be very happy to make the 2nd race and delighted to make the top event.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Will be very happy to make the 2nd race and delighted to make the top event.

Best attitude to have, other good pick me up is that missing 1 race by a place means front row in the other one!

Stay chilled, don’t over practice and make sure you make your lift times!

It is faster to go round the jumps – especially the last ‘quad’ one. Shame, if they built the jumps properly you could hit them at a decent speed.

I did hit them at a decent speed in practice – nearly had to nip out early for new shorts!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

We get there late Sunday afternoon, so looking forward to it now 🙂

Really enjoy the middle section of the qualifier track on a trail bike too, its great fun. As we’re off to Morzine after the DH bikes are coming too so I won’t be able to resist some runs of the DH track down to Oz as well.

Aiming for the main event again (bar reasons out of my control) would like a top 10 this year as i’m fitter & quicker so it’s something to go for.

See you all on the hill!

andeh

I’m not out till Wednesday and am quietly crapping myself. It’s my first year and I have no idea what to expect/aim for.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

andeh – aim to have fun!

See too many getting madly frustrated over stuff, it’s a holiday 🙂

Also the number in casts shows it’s also a good result getting home without stupidly injuring yourself

Taz

Hob Nob – keep us posted on how you do. Rooting for you :-). Maybe we will do a STW results thread in a weeks time 🙂

andeh – The first proper singletrack on the qualifier is pretty hard but not stupidly so (It is officially a black DH run). It is basically relentless for about 5 mins. My guess is that for this section most folks would be faster on a DH bike. For the rest a trail bike is perfect and a DH bike would be a disadvantage, which should give you a slight sense of what to expect? Nowhere on the qualifier requires mandatory air though lots of opportunity if you so desire.

Taz

Good advice from Mike there. Ultimately it is just a bike ride so aim to enjoy first and foremost 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My guess is that for this section most folks would be faster on a DH bike

If it wern’t for the other buggers!!

even the guys from our Chalet who was top 20 at that point said it was no advantage as he was in a train by then. If your more than 50 down by then the DH bike wont help!!

No loss for trail bike if you can handle it right 😉

[video]http://vimeo.com/26390313[/video]
    Dave from our chalet last year

andeh

Fun was ultimately my aim, but once that europop starts pumping, who knows what will happen. As it’s my first year i elected to ride a semi-dh bike (Turner highline) which should let me get away with a bit more. I have no problem riding technical trails, or leaving the floor, so the track doesn’t worry me that much, it’s the 400 other people that do 🙂

I’m hoping my healthy hardtail pedigree will see me through nicely. 8)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Andeh – just go & have fun, last year was my first too.

I was lucky in people we went with had done it before & know how quick/slow I was in relation to them so I had an idea what to expect, but until you are there & doing it, just give it your best shot & have some fun. It’s certainly an experience.

Results post is a good idea! I’m not beating myself up for a result, there are too many factors out of my control for that – just want to do the best I can.

Regarding the track – that middle section is fairly flat for a DH bike, I don’t think I would be quicker overall on it, I think the only section I would benefit would be the few corners before and the northshore section (if you were far enough in front to have a clear run) as you could just monster truck the whole section off the brakes, rather than picking a line. The rest I think would hurt trying to carry speed.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

andeh – Member
    I’m not out till Wednesday and am quietly crapping myself. It’s my first year and I have no idea what to expect/aim for.

Me too. 🙂

I’m another Mega virgin. Arriving Tuesday.
    Group of 6 of us. The other 5 have done the event before so I’ll be happy if I’m better than last within that group!
    It’ll be the first time I’ve ridden in a full face helmet and thb I’m more worried that I’ll likely drown in my own sweat!

At least 3 of us are on the forum so we’ll watch out for post-mortem discussion thread. (unfortunate choice of phrase perhaps!)

zulu
    Free Member

just go and shred!!! This is me and zulu off. Im in the purple shorts.

Cant wait to get there. leaving sunday morning !!

Taz

Certainly not recommending a DH bike and agree ulimately unless you are Remy or Jerome or equivalent you will be in a train in all likelihood.

Very excited 😀

Taz

Looks like I am on 2nd row of race 6.

Oh well one less excuse 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Looks like I am on 2nd row of race 6.

I was 2nd row last year, some lad with a commencal in front, looked a right dick with a Absalon replica top and everything, didn’t see much of him after the tape went up (apparently he gapped some of the apex’s on the first section. I was 2/3 of the way down the switchbacks as he was on the moonscape….

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Taz – How do I find out where I will be gridded? Saw a link on an email from the organisers but it didn’t work?

Simon

I was wondering the same The entry list I found didn’t have race numbers on. 😕

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I found it!

Megavalanche list of numbers 2012

The link to a pdf is at the bottom of the page. I assume its 25 riders per row?

Simon

Nice one. I’m sure that wasn’t there the other day when I looked.

andeh

Looks like I’m on the 4th row, heat 8, which isn’t too bad. Same heat as Fabien Barel 😀

Steve77
    Free Member

Looks like I’m on the 4th row, heat 8, which isn’t too bad. Same heat as Fabien Barel

Me too! I don’t think I’m going to beat him:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKq4XsPv6vA[/video]

Simon

Broke my thumb in practice 🙁 No more riding for a while.

Steve77
    Free Member

Thanks to some of the tips in this thread managed to get down in half an hour and just make it into the 2nd race which I was more than happy with. The video came out pretty good too, particularly a big stack at 20 minutes in:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZI3f6cMzg4[/video]

grum
    Free Member

Good effort! That sneaky line off to the left on the moonscape bit gains you loads of places I reckon. 🙂

DrP

Makes note to self – DrP must do this race at some point!

Looks awesome!

DrP

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Well, I had an entertaining week. I had a huge crash with Sven Martin on Tuesday, resulting in a concussion for him with no memory of what happened & a busted up set of ribs for me. Hardly ideal!

Anyway – I was in the first wave down in my qualifier, started on the 4th row. I went a bit nuts on the painkillers first thing to try and make it bearable (didn’t really work). However I still managed to qualify 20th (24 minutes something). Annoying really, as I wanted a top 10 so I would be on one of the first 3 rows for the main race Sunday morning, rather than mid pack. Looking at my video, I was in so much pain on the fire road up the top I let 6 or 7 guys pass me because I couldn’t breath properly to go fast enough 🙁

Sunday morning race day was cool though, no pressure as I was just there for fun by now. Was having a good race, I was neck & neck all the way down with a guy who was in my quali who ended 78th with a 51min run, until I flatted just before the woods. Ended up about 200th on an hour dead. All things considered, not bad.

Video of the quali here:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT50cQnMJ84&feature=plcp[/video]

andeh

I had a bit of a mare.

For qualification, despite setting off with a good 2 hours to spare, we ended up running to the start line as our heat reached the first corner. The lifts were a right farce, why they can’t run lift times like for the actual race I don’t know.
    Anyway, I had loads of catching up to do, what with starting dead last, and managed to claw my way back to 78th at just under 30 mins…..which was ok considering the circumstances. I got stuck behind loads of folks, which is, it seems, the most frustrating thing on the planet.

For the main race I managed to fall about 6 times on the snow leaving me trailing with all the mincers for the singletrack. It’s infuriating getting stuck in 20 people traffic jams for a 6 inch drop. Again, I clawed my way back and finished around the 1hour 20 mark, which I’m not really happy with but whatever. It was amazing fun anyway and I’ll definitely be coming back another year.

The quali track was ace! Really good fun from top to bottom. I have learnt lots and will be applying it to my next attempt…mainly involving setting off the night before for the quali runs :/

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

My chain broke on the qualifier, whilst pedalling out of the stream crossing. I carried on chainless and pumped every bump for speed. 34.5mins and 122nd for the 1st Affinity. Noticed quite a few other maulled drivetrains, so something to R and D for next year I think.

Steve77
    Free Member

Yeah the lift queue for quali needs time slots like the main race. I only just made my time because I went with friends who had a heat an hour before mine

That’s a great time hob nob. I broke my derailleur cable in the main event so did a lot of walking and just cruised down at the back in 1hr 45. Definitely a time to better next year!

Taz

Hi guys

Had a mare also. Got a dream start and was in the top ten or so by corner 3 on the fire road. Went to put a few pedal Strokes in to discover a missing chain and a mangled mech :-(. I ran the qualifier flat section but finally gave up when I realised I was about to get amongst the fast guys from the next round and I feared sending one of them flying

Really enjoyed the affinity with a few mates. It is such a fun route.

Mate did the amateur. He finished in 1hr 23m. His recorded time is 2hr 2mins??????? Anyone else have similar issues?

Agree the lifts for the qualifier really need sorting. We got there in good time but only because we left early to see 3 mates in heat 2. They just made it after pushing in ahead of the 1000+ numbers at the front of the queue.

Likely I will be back next year. Fear I may have missed taking advantage of the best start I could have hoped for 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Last year I was translating the big numbers for the woman trying to Order the Queue (not something that comes naturally to the French) She was calling forward only those that were going to miss out.

First year I was there we just pushed on up when we got twitchy, anyone with a higher number was elbowed back.

If I do it again I will be at the lift early again and just move along with the queue before making a late run for the lift.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They should do a similar system to the main race at the Vaujany lift station.

I was lucky as it was first wave, so the queues were ok, but nevertheless, there were people there with 1000+ numberboards at 9am (and a lot of them) all trying to get on the lift.

If people were given set times it wouldn’t be an issue. Even at 9am there was a lot of pushing past people.

Taz

Anyone know of any other timing issues, either this year or in the past?

Looks like his time includes his original scan time to the actual race start which was around 40 mins. He arrived at 9.50 ish and the start was delayed until 10.30. If you add those to the ride time it is pretty close to his ‘official’ time.

He is querying it but as a sole voice he is unlikely to have any luck. We saw him in so know he did not have a 2hr plus run and definitely was not 2nd last finished.

He finished just behind no 82 ( he remembers him passing him right at the end) so knows he was 1hr 23 47s. However it is
    annoying when they get this stuff wrong TBH. Said I would check with the STW participants

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Mega avalanche qualification times’ is closed to new replies.