Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mega Avalanche, how are you getting there ?
  • rickmeister

Hmmm.

Just looking for flights to Grenoble, but it seems its an airport for people with ski bats in winter….

Any top tips on travelling.. ? Train, drive, different airport ?

Have accommodation booked 6th to 13th… so the full week..

Thanks

deadkenny
    Free Member

If there’s a couple of you, drive. Much more flexible. Especially if there for a week and you want a car/van to get about, plus you can take all kinds of stuff, spares and whatever without worrying about bag limits and restrictions on what you can carry, having to get an expensive bike bag/box and pulling your bike apart. Not to mention to concern about baggage handler throwing.

Get tag for the tolls and it’s a simple job on the autoroutes. Tunnel or ferry to get over.

rickmeister

Thanks Kenny…

Eurostar coming in at £170 return to Grenoble but oh boy are there issues putting a bike on the train…. not making it either clear, or easy….

devash
    Free Member

Eurostar’s bike policy is fairly crappy. Unless you own a Brompton or similar folder you basically have to dismantle the bike and bag it up from what I remember.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I believe if they won’t take it they’ll stick it on a freight train instead. Issue there is when it turns up. Same can be said of flights if your bike ends up not on the plane or a different one. Had that experience skiing.

ahsf
    Free Member

Flown twice before once into Lyon and once into Geneva then hired a car, first time was one my own as pals was there already, got more choice with Geneva but had a good flight with BA into Lyon.
    Would of been the same price if I had drove tho.

rickmeister

Thanks folks, any others ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Train in summer is a change and trip across Paris, also a bike probably wont go on the same train as you.
    There is maybe another change on the way too.
    Flights don’t go to Grenoble in Summer.
    Fly to Geneva and then you can get a train (1 or 2 changes to Grenoble) then a bus to the bottom of the hill and maybe another bus or Taxi to Alp d’ Heuz.
    Fly and hire car = car doing nothing for a week.
    Look at some of the transfer people (Coolbus etc. to see if they can help)
    Ask for a transfer share on here?
    Drive.

As for which is best? Driving is not stressful but it’s a very long and very dull drive but you get to take lots of spares.
    Flying is my favorite for ease but limiting on what you can take.

rickmeister

Thanks Mike…

Personally, I’m for driving… especially as there are two people.

danbo
    Free Member

Megavalanche

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mega Avalanche, how are you getting there ?’ is closed to new replies.