Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mega avalanche and mountain of hell 2020
  • tato
    Free Member

Booked on to race these in 2020. Heading over for a three week road trip. Anyone else going over to take part in the fun?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Both races – you must be a glutton for punishment!

Next year for me, but probably the Mega.

JP

twistedpencil

Did you see the start to last years Mountain of Hell???

Missing out this year, but will be back for the mega next year, fingers crossed.

tato
    Free Member

Yes I have been watching for a few years cant wait. Start looks crazy as does the whole race. Iv rode the lower sections before which were fun! Then hopefully the mega after if still in one piece

kimbers

I wish!

zezaskar
    Free Member

How much are you budgeting for the Mega?

gilesmartin81

We have Booked the Enduro2 and the Mega for the week, now just need to get very prepared for a big week of bikes!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

IMO the mega is something you do once.

twistedpencil

Nah the mega gets in your blood, already getting withdrawl symptoms for this year 🙂

Northwind

reggiegasket

IMO the mega is something you do once.

I’ve done it once and I’m satisfied… for now. Really glad I did it, but I hadn’t really realised how much of the holiday it was going to eat, and I definitely was expecting a bit more from the other alpe d’huez riding.

But at some point I’m sure I’m going to want to do it again, with a bit more understanding and hopefully a lot more fitness. 3, 4 years? Because the qualifier race, and the first bit of the glacier before my lungs caught fire and my legs turned to jelly, and everything after the climb, were just plain brilliant.

tmb467
    Free Member

There’s 10 of us going across for Mega this year…took a lot to convince me to do it so can only hope it’ll be ok

I’m usually exhausted by the end of a biking holiday so having to aim to race (or even be able to ride) will be hard

gilesmartin81

It is great, although you can be sure that you will enjoy it more once you have finished, than when you are riding up the hill at halfway!

marksnook
    Free Member

Just looking at entry, it asks for race licence or medical certificate to be uploaded? Anyone point me where I need to get that?!

jamesoz

I’m usually exhausted by the end of a biking holiday so having to aim to race (or even be able to ride) will be hard

The day before Qually I like to only ride the very top of the qually course to check the awkward snow/not snow bits as the lines change massively depending on melting. I don’t do much riding that day though to be rested for the next day.

Just looking at entry, it asks for race licence or medical certificate to be uploaded? Anyone point me where I need to get that?!

Standard question, standard answer. British Cycling bronze will do. I usually also take out their insurance policy as belt and braces.

Want to do it again now! Last time I took my road bike and did the road descent/climb the day after the Mega.

marksnook
    Free Member

Ah fair play thanks, knew there was a reason other than the old crc discount I joined!

twistedpencil

Just to note that BC don’t cover this event in terms of insurance as it’s not a UCi event, however the organisers of the mega seem happy enough to accept the membership in lieu of medical certificate.

I usually double up on insurance and take theirs as well as covering myself with snowcard for the week.

Best bit of advice I can think of is, just enjoy it, there are two thousand like minded souls up for a week of fun on their bikes, including the pros! Whether you make the main event or puncture and end up in the affinity timed run, just go with the flow and enjoy riding your bike in a beautiful landscape.  That comes after spitting my dummy out trail side during the affinity run after floating in quali the day before 🙂 I sat down cursing to stuff my spare tube into the wheel and looked up at blue skies, massive mountains and a waterfall. All I could hear was mountain bikers passing me on the trail and I realised what an ace place it was to be.

Having said that the mass starts on the glacier are a hoot!

jamesoz

Obviously proper insurance is also a good idea, I think I paid £250 for x-rays and a sling when I dislocated my shoulder a couple of times in Qually. Less than my excess but it could have been a lot more if I needed recovery without insurance.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Yes, get good insurance. Just in case someone knocks you off in a banzai move so they can qualify for the main event.

Some say the Mega is an excuse for excited amateurs to ride like aggressive, selfish loons in an attempt to validate their aspirations of genuine speed.

jamesoz

Not witnessed it myself, in the 5 I’ve done.
    I did take the whole pack down at the start of my 2014 qually, not really my fault. The start tapes didn’t lift properly from what I remember, some went, some didn’t.
    I crashed again later that run when a guy stopped unexpectedly, I rear ended him and popped my shoulder again. That was my fault.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mega avalanche and mountain of hell 2020’ is closed to new replies.