Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • "Meet the man who cycles nearly 100 miles a day, every day"
  • allthepies
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22589385

“Steve Hamilton cycles between 80-100 miles every working day. That makes 22,000 miles a year. And every mile covered on crowded, traffic-laden central London streets is done on a bike he bought for a fiver.”

bikeneil
    Free Member

Sounds like a lot of fun…not.

pipnet1
    Free Member

I agree. I commute 7 miles a day total and that’s bad enough.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    samuri
    Free Member

I would have thought it would be way more than that

faz083
    Free Member

49 and he looks about 25! what a job to have

sherry
    Free Member

He looks happy and younger than he is. Good recipe for life in there, good on him.

mboy
    Free Member

Not for me, but massive respect to the guy!

He’s obviously not affected by the stress anyway… Most guys I know half his age look far older!

quartz
    Free Member

I was a courier for a while many years back. I averaged 40-50 miles a day, and I was always on the go. For this guy to be doing double that, he must be some kind of superman. Even the top guys I knew weren’t doing more than 60-70 miles a day. I’d be interested in seeing some data of his daily activity. Not entirely disputing his claim, but to do that sort of milage is incredible.

I can relate tot he ‘sixth sense’ thing though; I used to do things I’d never dream of now, and took massive risks. It’s not a job for the mentally stable. But death or serious injury is always just waiting, and I just lost my bottle eventually. And the week after I stopped, a guy I knew lost two limbs in an accident. Just not worth it. The people you’re serving don’t give a toss; they just want their parcel delivered on time.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

I considered couriering when I was young, but it would have been a backwards step financially and career wise even then. It may sound good getting paid to ride and become fit, but imagine the reality in all weathers, and how likely you’d be to ride recreationally if your living depended on being able to ride and having the energy to conplete as many jobs as possible. It seems to be a lifestyle for many too, the clothing, the fixies, hanging about Soho Square smoking rollies while waiting for jobs, descending on the (Duke of?) York on Friday…plus the rest, I’ll say no more but my ex worked at Condor.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I was a courier for a while many years back. I averaged 40-50 miles a day, and I was always on the go. For this guy to be doing double that, he must be some kind of superman. Even the top guys I knew weren’t doing more than 60-70 miles a day. I’d be interested in seeing some data of his daily activity. Not entirely disputing his claim, but to do that sort of milage is incredible.

It might include his journey in to central London. I used to see a courier most mornings on my commute into work, he must have been doing 25-30 miles per day on his commute before any work mileage got added on.

quartz
    Free Member

Fair enough.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘"Meet the man who cycles nearly 100 miles a day, every day"’ is closed to new replies.