Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Medusa's Drop Dalby Forest
  • fairhurst
    Free Member

Heading over to Dalby Forest with my close colleague’s.
    After my other thread on the slab,i suggested other such Trail Centre features to test my skill on.
    This is the next test for me,subject to if it is possible for oneself.

how hard is it?

thank you.

meehaja
    Free Member

Not very. You’ll be fine. Seems sunny out, enjoy.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

easy peasy lemon squezy!!

MikeWW
    Free Member

Depends how good you are. I hit it wrong and ended up in A and E with a grade 4 dislocated shoulder!

fairhurst
    Free Member

i consider myself very poor at riding.
    i am trying my best to get better and love riding trail centre’s.

sorry to hear of your shoulder misfortune from it 😯

I_Ache
    Free Member

Piece of cake, just roll it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m usually confident at doing stuff thats more difficult than your average black graded stuff (Stainburn etc, no problem) but Medusas Drop has evaded me so far. Only looked at it once whilst we were pushed for time and its mega, mega steep.

Next time I do Dalby I’ll have another look. Huge respect to the XC racers who do it with their seats up their asses.

KonaTC

Medusa’s Drop is described on the BC website as; a precipitous zig-zag track that hangs off the hillside that leads to Scout Field, berms on the higher corners of the descent but it’s the bottom of the course that provides the big dilemma as there is a choice of;

a. the direct route to the bottom. (there is tight entry near the top and as long as you keep your wits about you it is doable).

or

b. a more flowing but longer way down. (which is a normal trail centre decent, wide, smooth with no real surprises).

If you fancy the direct route my advice is to recce it on foot first, but if not there is a big field for the helicopter to land 😯

U-tube has some video footage that may be worth checking out

MRanger156
    Free Member

Where is this at Dalby? I don’t remember it when I went last month.

bullheart
    Free Member

Two things;

(a) it was very dicey this morning at 9am

(b) having just got back I can confirm that three hours ago Dalby was the wettest place on Earth

fairhurst
    Free Member

I shall walk the full track first and foremost to see what it is like then.

If i think it’s feasible i will pluck up the courage to have a go.

i have no doubt it is extremely hard!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

The ‘a-line’ is rooty and steep, but not absolutely horrendous, the ‘b-line’ is nothing to worry about.

Only ridden it on an XC race bike, but I’d certainly not say the main line is ‘easy’. YMMV.

Stevelol
    Free Member

It’s a lot easier to do on a nomad.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

lol

MikeWW
    Free Member

Ahh
    I was on an XC bike and at one of the national races. It was the a route I came off on. Think they had the b route as the chicken run which was very easy. You need to get over to the right before the 2nd drop to avoid some big roots- I didn’t 😳

fairhurst
    Free Member

ahh the Nomad yes perfect bike for it.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bet it’ll be shit on a mojo

fairhurst
    Free Member

what do you mean by that Cruz?
    i think the Mojo should be super on it.

jameso

rob-jackson
    Free Member

fairhurst = troll

njee20
    Free Member

jackthedog
    Free Member

I once did it on Maxxis 2.1 Medusas. You’d think they were ideal for the job but they were actually sucked clean off the rims and into a paradoxical black hole. I had to complete the rest of the ride on the rims.

My 2.4 Advantages didn’t have the same issue, and provided the added benefit of being better at bunny-hopping the many Louis Therouxs I’m forever having to avoid.

gsp1984
    Free Member

The hardest bit is turning the tight corner into it… the red line is probably faster / more fun.

Worry Gil which is also a piece of piss looks much more intimidating when stood at the top even though you can just roll it.

james
    Free Member

Kona TC, that sounds like the bit two sections after the really steep rock wall

I dont know the names, so pics to come:
    Which of these is medusas drop officially?
    Which of these is the OP asking about?

the 2nd pic is a black option near the bottom of a zigzag red descent?

First one, Ive done a few times but with the saddle dropped ~3″ (the limit on my last FS frame) I was still tapping my chest on the saddle as I went over the top
    Not quite sure how OTB it feels with a saddle fully up and low narrow bars a long TT away from you

fairhurst
    Free Member

am i correct in thinking james that the top picture is medusa’s drop?

MikeWW
    Free Member

Top picture is Worry Gill

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Ah, think I’ve got it wrong too then. If Worry Gill is the dead steep one with the 90 degree left hander into it, its that which I’ve looked at once and didn’t do. Its steep. Very steep!

If Medusas Drop is the rooty pic above… bring it on. Could launch myself down that bad boy all day! Its awesome!

njee20
    Free Member

Not quite sure how OTB it feels with a saddle fully up and low narrow bars a long TT away from you

Not too bad! Here’s my efforts on Worry Gill, looks really flat from there!

IMO Medusa’s is significantly tougher, Worry Gill is just about commitment, it’s pretty hard to get it wrong! But yes, the second photo is Medusa’s.

keavo
    Free Member

worry gill is steep but there is little chance of getting it wrong, its has a very smooth straight run off it. medusa’s drop however has loads of roots that could easily have you off the bike.

njee20
    Free Member

worry gill is steep but there is little chance of getting it wrong, its has a very smooth straight run off it.

Except for the 90 degree right into the rocky river bed at the bottom 😕

gee
    Free Member

It’s the turn into Medusas that makes me clench every lap round there – the actual descent is ok as long as you moderate your speed and lay off the front brake on the roots. It’s funny – I have a mental thing about turning right into drops, despite forcing myself to practice lots… Turning left is ok. There is also a faster line over the edge of the runout at the bottom, but they usually tape that off in the races.

keavo
    Free Member

i find that right turn is easy to get round, unless there is someone who has taken the b line, coming in from the left;-)

njee20
    Free Member

The turn in? Surely folk entering from the B-line doesn’t become an issue until the bottom, and even then they’re filtering in.

keavo
    Free Member

“90 degree right”……that read like you meant the bottom of the steep drop to me. oh yes, and i thought i was going to hit one of them (b line riders) once.
    by the way, i’m not having a whinge at anyone, i’ve used the b line before. next time i rode there i just decided i was going to ride the drop and did. i have since been back in a non race context and rode it a few times. its just a case of having the bottle to drop over the edge.

gee
    Free Member

I think you might be a little confused… Worry Gill is a big drop, that’s easy. Medusas drop is a series of little drops and roots further on in the lap. It’s the turn into Medusa’s which gets me.

GB

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Medusa looks like part of the old black route which zigg zagged down a steep section and was rooty all the way down. haven’t been for years, but going tomorrow for the dig day and a ride, so will look out for it.

nosedive
    Free Member

both of these features were OK on a bike with 160mm at both ends and the seat down. anyone who does it at race pace on an xc bike with the seat up gets massive respect from me, I couldn’t do it.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

BA – think the bottom bit is part of the old black descent. Remember when there was a gap jump at the bottom over the path and landing on the downslope into the field. Saw someone rip the rear end off a Super8 on that!

extremenik
    Free Member

Having rode the Black once and watched 2 people fall on Medusa, I gave it a go on my Remedy.

I would have to say after the turn in you have to let it run and line choice is important, roots are your friends at speed!

This was at the end of last summer and in the wet it would be a different animal.

Not to put you off but we played there for about 30 mins and no one elsed cleared it while we was there, and the switchbacks that it cuts the last couple out, are the best bit anyway, so just ride and enjoy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Medusa's Drop Dalby Forest’ is closed to new replies.