Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Meditation/Mindfulness…
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Been recommended to try meditation & mindfulness by the doctor today (to help my anxiety issues).

Knowing the community here I’m sure there’s plenty experience out there.

Any recommendations? Headspace, Calm, Insight? Any books worth getting? Websites?

What works/doesn’t work?

tartanscarf

I find it brilliant and it’s really helped my depression/anxiety. I did a one day group session and could see the benefit so signed up for an 8 week course. I’ve been to a few different sessions and have found them all good but some better than others due to how I relate to the organiser. Feel free to pm for more info if needed.

TS

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    metalheart
    Free Member

@TS: I’m being recommended for some self guided thing (CBT-lite?). Looking for something in the meantime. I’ll keep your kind offer in mind for later though.

@Onewheelgood
    : that one came up top of list in search before, I’ll take the £9 punt, cheers.

Kryton57

I used Headspace free lessons as a starter of 10, but I refer to The Worry Trick, by David A Carbonyl which is very good reference.

I was recommended Reset by David Sawyer on here – it does focus on “a plan” for your retirement which is actually very useful, but on the way gives some very helpful reminders/tips about daily life management which are summarised for easy reference in the final chapter.

But as above, CBT for anxiety was the best thing – they’ll teach you how your thinking patterns are, and can be changed for the better – even the realisation is amazing.  You do have to work at it but it really helps.

mooman
    Free Member

Headspace & Calm are the go to apps, and there are some sessions on YouTube too.

Also worth remembering about sleep hygiene; caffeine/alcohol intake .. and exercising regularly.

Mindfulness can also take a few sessions to get into. Its definitely a skill you need to learn for it to be effective.

justridemtb
    Free Member

I found a buddhist meditation class locally really helpful

stumpyjon

I’m in the same position, doctor recommended I read the chimp paradox.

thepurist

Look for Mark Williams (Oxford Mindfulness Centre) and Jon Kabat Zinn as well

globalti
    Free Member

Yes it’s worth doing. When I was about 25 I attended Practical Philosophy classes once a week at the School of Economic Science in London, which had a heavy emphasis on mindfulness and awareness. It definitely helped me to sort my young mind out and get a better understanding of myself, I would recommend it for anybody.

NB: This is not the LSE: https://www.schooleconomicscience.org/

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks for replies all, it’s appreciated.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

I’ve tried the three main apps. I found Calm a bit rubbish. The headspace starter course was superb and I now subscribe and use Headspace every morning. I also use Insight Timer but just use the free options the ‘Timer’ part is great when you want to go freeform/advanced and among the dross (mainly the American teachers) there are some great teachers hidden in there (mostly UK and scottish) I find Andy Hobson and Andrew Johnson great and they have a lot of free stuff on there, in particular, Mountain Meditation and Favorite place of relaxation are great.

A real course with a real teacher can help too, it depends on how you get on with the self-guided. also, CBT can be a great help IF you can encourage yourself it’s the right thing and practice the lessons they teach, it makes so much sense when it’s explained to you by a good experienced therapist.

globalti
    Free Member

Definitely go to an experienced teacher; it’s not just about learning how to quieten the mind and enter a state of awareness then extend that into general life, it’s about your whole mental approach to self-awareness, which requires discussion and can be very enjoyable.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

As per @onewheelgood. It’s a brilliant book and also excellent as an audio book. Doesn’t replace professional help, but sets uyou off on the right path. It’s not something to “fix” but gives you tools to help you cope. Good luck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Meditation/Mindfulness…’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts