Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Medieval Instrument of Torture
  • pingu66
    Free Member

I have been upping the miles I do trying to get fitter. Had it about 6 months now but anywhere over 10 miles and my arse is sore. I mean really sore, I checked it out and its bruised, badly, looks like I have been molested.

The device in question is a Specialized Phenom seat. However I was in my LBS picking up some bits and just mentioned I would be looking for a saddle and they produced a demo saddle from the Fizik range. Also just took my phone number and no deposit. Thatto Cycles are a really good bunch.

Rode 13 miles on it last night and no pain. I have a big ride this weekend, TPT for charity, should I leave the demo on? Anyone got any seat recommendations, anyone used Fizik seats? How long should I test the seat for to be sure?

loddrik
    Free Member

Only really use Fizik seats, now on a tundra but love Nisenes.

Most uncomfortable seat I’ve ever owned was a Charge Spoon.

scaredypants

you wearing proper shorts ?

with no pants underneath ?

😳

Try smearing yer ass with suocrem or something way more expensive (not foie gras, that doesn’t work)

(yeah, new saddle can’t be worse than the old one, so keep it on)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oddly, Lodders, I was given a Charge Spoon to test the other day. Wanted to hate it, but I really rather like it!

Others I’ve liked –
    WTB – Ace, but their quality has slipped in recent years, IMO
    Fizik – If you get the right one.
    SDG Ti Bel Air -Awesome saddle.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve a Gobi on the HT & an SDG Bel Air on the FS, both good.

pingu66
    Free Member

Yeah I have the padded shorts, a gore and alturra, my other bike was OK but sold it and realized I could have swapped seats. I have been applying sudocrem which has helped with the chaffing as I have toughened my arse up but its not that. It real pain and jarring of the seat bones etc.

Never had an issue with a seat in my life but never ridden as much as I am. Even though it mat be low compared to some here. I dont want it to get in the way of enjoying my ride and dont want to be spending out on crap seats.

Will most LBS have demo saddles? Selle Italia are supposed to be good. I realise its a personal purchase but I guess its “how will I know it will be OK”

scaredypants

totally personal – if you’re lucky someone local to you (where?) might be able to lend you a few tryers. If you’re near southampton, let me know.

I don’t get on great with spesh saddles and my arse does like a bel-air but that’s no guarantee of anything

Onzadog
    Free Member

Bruised? You do know to lift out of the saddle on the bumpy bits don’t you?

I’m a fan of the specialized bumometer. All my bikes have the alias saddle. Or maybe I just like having my bum measured.

pingu66
    Free Member

scaredypants thanks for the offer, Liverpool ish though.

Yeah bruised. Maybe try harder but I think even just a spike would be more comfy. (Gets ready for inuendo)

wrecker
    Free Member

I hated my bel air. I love my chromag trail master.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Medieval Instrument of Torture’ is closed to new replies.