Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Media file conversion software?
  • Jakester
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend some decent file conversion software?

My son is doing WW2 at school, and his great uncle did a video of his mother talking about her wartime experiences. I think it was an audio track which was imported into Powerpoint, and then the whole thing exported as a video file. THe file format is *.MOV but Quicktime tells me it isn’t the correct file format for Quicktime, so presumably there’s some kind of MS-specific file codecs going on.

We sent it to school but they can’t play it at all. I can play it using VLC but it seems the level of IT nous at the school is -1 so there’s no prospect of them using anything other than Windows Media Player to play it.

I’ve converted to *.WMV format using a couple of different online converters but the output quality is unsurprisingly very poor – the resulting file is about 1/3 of the original size and the images are badly blocky/pixellated. I tried converting to MP4 with the same results.

I’ve tried converting in VLC but it’s having none of it.

Can anyone recommend either a decent bit of software that’s not too spendy, or a website, where I can convert with a decent quality output?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Try HandBrake

https://handbrake.fr/

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    Jakester
    Free Member

Danke both

poly
    Free Member

if that doesn’t sort you out FFMPEG usually works for me. Its command-line and until you get used to it horrible as hell but its a long time since its let me down…

Jakester
    Free Member

Fanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Media file conversion software?’ is closed to new replies.