Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • mechanics… bleed power steering after replacing track rods?
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

I went to look at a potential bangernomics car last night, its last MOT had an advisory for play in the steering inner joints.
    The owner is a mechanic, he said he’s sorted it.
    The power steering pump is really noisy, he said it just needs bleeding after he swapped the track rods*.

Is that right? When I looked under the bonnet, if I turned the wheel then PS fluid overflowed out of the top of the reservoir cap…

* I’m assuming he replaced the track rods, am I correct to assume that the inner joints are the end of the track rods that connect to the rack?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

No, changing the track rod ends shouldn’t disturb the power steering.

A steering inner joint isn’t the track rod end though. Its the joint between the rack and the trackrod itself.

Hydraulic power steering systems are self bleeding anyhow, just turn from lock to lock a few times.

Walk away i think.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Looking at the picture below, I assumed he had changed the track rods, not just the ends, is that correct? (just to get it clear in my head!)
    Or can you replace the ball joint bit as a separate thing?

I also thought you just bled them by turning from lock to lock, so not sure why he wouldn’t have done that.

Yep, think I’ll walk.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Depends on the car. you have the rack, then an inner joint then the track rod then the track rod end. In your pic above the inner steering joint would be the inner ball joint.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Ah ok, thanks. That makes sense.

Sundayjumper

I agree with Rockhopper. I’ve done inner joints several times and never needed to do anything about the fluid.

Walk.

trail_rat
    Free Member

He is talking utter garbage. Walk.

As the old saying goes. Never buy a mechanics car 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘mechanics… bleed power steering after replacing track rods?’ is closed to new replies.