Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Mechanical failure
  • Taff
    Free Member

Having heard tales from here and from my brother in law I have just admitted defeat with fitting new brake pads in my avid elixirs. Pushed pistons as far back as they would go and can get the disc/wheel back in but it’s just too tight. Done the gypsy approach and put in the best of the old pads with one new one. Actually hanging my head in shame at the moment.

nwgiles

•grabs a pitch fork ready for the hunt•

Onzadog
    Free Member

What pads? Is the system slightly over filled with fluid?

Taff
    Free Member

Don’t think so, when the pads wear down they feel like they need more liquid.

Taff
    Free Member

They are alligator pads from xcracer.

druidh
    Free Member

Many 3rd party pads are simply too thick

jimw
    Free Member

I have experienced this scenario with elixir R’s. Was advised by LBS to rebuild with new pistons and seals- the kit is inexpensive and was quite straight forward and cured problem.
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/138/a15032a/avid-caliper-piston-kit-elixir.html
    Apparently, so I was told, if you let the pads wear down too much the pistons will have come out just a bit too far and can’t be pushed back without distorting the old seal and so will never go back far enough to put new pads in. May be bo**ocks but the brakes now work well and can fit pads easily . Moral of tale, don’t let elixir pads wear much beyond 2/3rds (I don’t any more)

Taff
    Free Member

Possibly, it would seem via the power of google that even Avids own have fitting issues.

Taff
    Free Member

The pistones don’t retract more than the indentation of the waves ie they won’t go in completely flush. Pads weren’t that bad to be honest, a little under half perhaps but given an upcoming 12hr event I wanted new ones in there.

jonba
    Free Member

I sand the back of the pads lightly when they are really bad.

To reset the piston I put in the old pad and get a 6″ flat head screwdriver and lever the damn things out with a fiar bit of force. Gentle/slight squeezing of the brake lever seems to allow them to move (squeeze then push the pistons and repeat.

It’s not that uncommon for pads to rub a little bit for the first part of a ride but they seem to centre and reset themselves much better riding than in the garage.

It is a right pain though, expecially when you need to change pads mid ride (at Kielder!). I actually carry some part worn ones as spares because sometimes it is just impossible trail side.

Other thing to consider is your discs, are they avid originals? I have two sets of elixirs and they are much easier to replace on the bike with original avid discs (compared to superstarcomponents ones).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Mechanical failure’ is closed to new replies.