Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Meat pie thread.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just had the best meat pie since my Mum died (cos she made the most awesomest pies) from our local butcher. Went in & there he was trimming the pastry on a steak & ale pie ready for the oven. So I bought 4 & had them with chips, peas & gravy tonight. I’m still salivating at the thought of the next one. Or two.

Tell us about your meat pies!

EDIT. I didn’t eat all 4 pies, just 1 1/2.

http://www.greenwoods-butchers.co.uk/about-us/

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

mmmmm pies, picked up a couple today from the wee pie co,
    Venison and black pudding, and mutton with rosemary. mmmmmmm

yunki
    Free Member

hah! amateurs, I bet you paid a fortune for them pies.. I just found this in the reduced to clear section..

the dogs bollocks 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Damn you Yunki! Bet it was like, 20p!!

papamountain
    Free Member

In tiny letters on the back “May contain 100% horse”

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hmmm…a Dogs Bollocks Pie, cunningly described as pork.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

You can’t beat a steak pie from mhor in Callander.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I haven’t had a pie since I was diagnosed as a coeliac 🙁 I miss pies, I miss food. Gluten free tastes of shite!
    I think it’s time for some intentional glutening!

bobbyspangles

I really enjoy making pies. Used suet for a proper steamed steak and kidney recently, easier than I thought with great results of light pastry with oozing, rich and gravy. Making hand raised pork pies today with the goal being peppery pastry. Will be scoffing them alongside homemade cider and honey mustard.
    Feeling hungry now.

senorj

Cottage Pie , Dearham ,Cumbria. nom nom nom.
    Treat yourself to a bit of “slab”.

cheviots
    Free Member

Steak Pie from Farmer Copley’s Farm Shop nr Pontefract.
    Not had one less than Nom Nom Nom in over 7 years.
    Mouths watering thinking about them!

mountainman

I make my own pork pies,being a butcher i have the goodies to hand .

rickmeister

the dogs bollocks

Probably very true !

If you turned it over and read the ingredients it says:

“No animals were harmed in the production of this Tesco Value Pie”

mattbibbings
    Free Member

The next time you are in Nidderdale. If Kendalls are doing their individual game pies (rabbit, pigeon & pheasant last time I had one) then they are not to be missed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Picked up a pork and Stilton pie from Westmorland on my way back up the road yesterday, think it was from these folk (it’s long gone now) http://www.uppercrustpies.com – most agreeable.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Can’t beat a good pie. I hate being palmed off with a stew with a pastry top in a ‘gastro pub’ when I’ve ordered a meat pie off the menu. Unless it’s Fish, Cottage or Shepard’s Pie, if I order a Pie I expect it to be encased in pastry.

binners

It’s actually against the law to drive past Westmorland without stocking up on pies. Or if it’s not, it should be!

A good pie is a thing of beauty and awe! On a controversial, non-carnivorous pasty product front, the landlord of the pub near us (the Major in Ramsbottom) makes the best cheese and onion pie in the known universe. It’s so full of tangy Lancashire cheese tastiness you could actually weep with joy while eating it

He also makes proper babies heads, which are also a joy to behold!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You swine! Right off to the poundshop for a Frey Bentos Corned Beef pie. Damn I love them.
    Goodbye diet.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i have some hot water crust (pork pie style) pies that i made in the week. first go at that kind of pastry and i nailed it.
    they are full of pheasant, bacon and leek. with a blackcurrant spiked gravy set into a jelly.
    just got in from a ride round whytes and im gonna scoff a whole one

tomhoward

*Notes location of OPs famed purveyor of fine pies*

*Plans short ride to Boroughbridge from Harrogate*

*salivates*

cinnamon_girl

Please be assured that we can buy top quality pies Dahn Saaarf. 😀

Home

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Pukka pie, chips and curry sauce.

cinnamon_girl

Chips with pie FFS 😯

😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Had venison pie from beautiful mountain for dinner yesterday but for te most part shove yer pies. Its all about flemings steak an gravy bridies! The shandy drinking southerners winnae get it but the scots will agree- lovely thin the bridie.

Good mid ride snack if ouw ere doing the tour of angus 🙂 and anyone thats done the snow roads will know the restoritive power of the farfir bridies alex gets in for the hall at the end.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

My lad stayed over a mate’s last night who’s dad is a bit of a game hunter and fed them pheasant pie for dinner. He had made a few extra and gave me one when I went to pick the boy up and my wife and I had it for Sunday lunch. My god. Lovely.

daftvader
    Free Member

C G is right about laverstock pies…. Mmmmmmmm curry chicken one is fab mid ride munchies….

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Greens meat and tatie
    Leslies steak
    Greenodd pork and black pudding

Here endeth the lesson.

C-G I take it you are not familiar with the delights of the ‘pie-barm’?

cinnamon_girl

C G is right about laverstock pies…. Mmmmmmmm curry chicken one is fab mid ride munchies..

The buffalo is mighty fine too. 😀

OK confession time – their buffalo milk ice cream turns me into a right greedy pig, it is so bloomin’ delicious. 8)

cinnamon_girl

C-G I take it you are not familiar with the delights of the ‘pie-barm’?

Er, is this Scottish? Or Northern?

Sorry, I’m a Southerner! 🙂

AlanMc100
    Free Member

Next time you’re in Keswick, try the steak pies at Thomasons Butchers …. fantastic (& almost as good as the famous Cow Pie at the George Hotel).
    But the real gem at Thomasons is the Game Pastie ! They never seem to have many of them, so they sell out fast – When we asked the proprieters (who we refer to as Phil & Grant, as they bear an uncanny resemblance to the Mitchell brothers !?!), what was in the pasties, they just said “whatever they had collected from the roadside on the way in to work that morning”.
    Clearly not true in these days of rather strict food hygiene , but we still go in and ask for a “Roadkill Pastie” to set us up for a days riding.
    Mmmm

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Meat pie, possibly with a few chips, in a bun. Definitely not scottish although admittedly battering it and frying could well be tbe coup de gras

cinnamon_girl

Lol @ roadkill pastie. 😯

thestabiliser – that sounds very filling!

shadowrider
    Free Member

Hungry Joes fiery hot chilli pie, it is just amazing

geordiemick00
    Free Member

living in Wigan I should be the last word on pies…(Wiganners are known as pie eaters). but I’m a geordie and not that fond of them. Far too healthy..

but let’s try this….

Wigan Kebab – Pie on a stick.

How do you know if a Wigan bird’s had an orgasm? She’ll drop her pie.

I’ll get my coat

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Another Wigan pie joke for you…

What is the definition of a balanced diet in Wigan?

A pie in each hand!!

slowoldgit
    Free Member

A mate introduced me to traditional Yorkshire sporting nutrition: a growler at about half way. It’s like the pork pies you get everywhere else, only it’s concentrated.

tomaso
    Free Member

There is a little bakers pie shop in Morecambe – Thurwells – that does the most amazing pies. Not at all fancy or posh but the pies a superb.

The Potato and Meat has a bisuity crumble to its shortcrust pastry that can only be achieved by some hideously unhealthy lard or dripping type fat. This is the perfect winter warmer of a pie and teaches the impatient a painful lesson with a scolded toungue – they are pipping hot! The filling is a good balance of meat and diced potato.

The Steak and Kidney also has amazing shortcrust pastry but it is more flakey than the Potatoe and Meat. Rich and meaty inside…mmm

sharkbait
    Free Member

Made my first pie for tea last night – steak, parmesan and mushroom. Actually did made the filling on saturday night and left it to cool before assembling the pie yesterday. Got to say it was very lovely and shall def be doing again…. even the kids liked it!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Hired a canal boat for a trip on the Llangollen Canal, dureing which we stopped off at Ellesmere in Shropshire, and on the recommendation of the guide book sampled the pork pies at Vermeulens. Lovely. In fact, being at the helm of a canal boat, driving through Shropshire, vermueln’s pie and cup of tea to hand – bliss.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

non of the pies mentioned are meat pies. they are just different flavour pies or puddings. this is a meat pie…
    and the king of which is the Cissy Green of Haslingden. true fact.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Meat pie thread.’ is closed to new replies.