Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)
  • Measles outbreak, MMR and cretins who don't get their kids vacinated
  • gonefishin
    Free Member

Tony Blair did the most damage of all by refusing to reveal whether his son had been given MMR or individual vaccines – absolutely ridiculous when in reality the fall out form not revealing is potentially huge

I’ve got to disagree there. There is no way that the medical records of a child should be made public in an attempt to satisfy the public “concerns” for a non existant health risk.

bentudder

I think that any sanctions against non-vaccinated children will break the ECHR and UK HRA.

Complete rot. Trumped by the rest of the population’s right to healthy lives, preferably with their sight intact. An individual’s human rights do not outweigh the safety of the rest of the population. Your interpretation, taken to its logical conclusion, suggests that incarcerating criminals would break ECHR and HRA.

scaredypants

I’ve got to disagree there. There is no way that the medical records of a child should be made public

I’ve got to disagree there
    There’s no way that commentary on parental decision-making in relation to a child’s routine vaccination is, in any meaningful way, disclosure of medical records

GrahamS

Would knowing what the Blairs decided to do really have altered people’s own choice?

Tony wasn’t exactly known as the best decision-maker we’ve ever had.

Clong
    Free Member

Here’s a thing, my daughter has had the MMR jab, yet she still got measles, albeit only a mild form.

IHN

Because vaccination isn’t 100% effective, which is whyyou have to try to vaccinate everyone.

antigee

IHN – Member
    And, this isn’t about individual choice, it’s about societal good.

Given the choice, a lot of people wouldn’t pay tax, or educate their children, but it’s deemed to be for the greater good of society that they do, so the choice is removed. The same should apply here

think the current trend is to “nudge” people to conform – so on the vaccine issue – low uptake triple dose MMR so why not offer option single dose if that might solve the problem?

(I’ll answer that perceived cost and negotiating with GP’s)

as to the CMO’s credibility on other issues (which some of us considered and remembered) – here is an extract from Sir Donald Acheson’s obituary in the Daily Telegraph – one persons greater good is some one else’s problem

In November 1998 Acheson conceded at an inquiry that he might have misled the public over the safety of beef at the height of the “mad cow” epidemic in 1990, which was linked to the deaths of 29 people from a new form of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

At the time of the outbreak he had said in a television interview: “There is no risk associated with eating British beef, and everyone – children, adults, patients in hospital – can be quite confident with the safety of beef.”

Looking back, Acheson said, he should have stuck to the more cautious line, previously agreed with his scientific advisers, that there was “no scientific justification for not eating British beef”. The advice of his experts had been that “there was a remote risk, not no risk”.

It was a measure of the tightrope that is often walked by the CMO. Acheson said that during the scare over salmonella in eggs, the government had tried to persuade him to issue over-optimistic public statements.

mogrim

I think that any sanctions against non-vaccinated children will break the ECHR and UK HRA.

Why do you think that? Lots of decisions are taken against individual will, mental health ‘sectioning’ for example.

woody74

The whole thing was stupid. How many kids are born each year, say 500K. If you stick a empty needle into all of them then statically you will always get some that start to get a severe condition. Doesn’t mean it is linked to the injection. In the same way you will always get some kids that do badly respond to MMR but from a government point of view they have to look at public health as a whole and whats best for the country. We might not like getting dictated to from government but sometimes it is needed as it’s for the good of everyone.
    Personally I have always thought you have to be an idiot not to give your kid the MMR. If you hate it so much get the single injections done privately.

D0NK

Eldest was taken for polio diptheria and whatever it is yesterday, nurse commented that “not many people turn up for this one” is there some scar estory about this lot of jabs or is it just laziness from parents who CBA taking their kids?

edit IIRC someone on mrs side of the family (distant family) had the MMR and soon after developed problems, think a payout was involved, don’t have the details tho. Did the NHS ever payout for possible MMR links?

big_scot_nanny

I would not hate people now, yes all need to be strongly encouraged to ensure children are vaccinated, however it seems we are living with the legacy of sitautions past, as previously described.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22036576

Bloody awful disease, I had it as a child in the 70s, mum and dad talk of how touch-and-go it was of me pulling through. Fevers, hallucinations, fitting… *shudders at memory*

Hope everyone is unnaffected.

kev

hora
    Free Member

When mrsH was heavily pregnant we decided not to get the Swine Flu vaccine.

Why the panic and hysteria OP? You’ve got many many years of potential harm from drivers/roads etc etc etc. My 3yr old lad ignored me and rode into the road on Wed night even though hes normally sensible.

Aristotle
    Free Member

As odd as it may seem to most right-minded people:

A separate issue is that some parents, large numbers in some areas, just do not bother (Others are suspicious of ‘authority’) to take their children for any immunisations or normal check-ups. These people may not be the most ‘thinking’ people in the community and many are not necessarily too busy to visit the doctor.

They are actively encouraged and visited by the health authorities in an attempt to rectify the situation.

martinhutch

Why do you think that? Lots of decisions are taken against individual will, mental health ‘sectioning’ for example.

There would be direct evidence presented of immediate risk to that individual’s health measured against his/her right to refuse treatment.

When the benefit to the individual is less marked – a moderate risk of infection with a very snall risk of complications or death, it’s much more debateable. The vast majority of children survive measles infection with no after-effects or complications whatsoever. Herd immunity also offers little or no additional benefit to the individual.

martinhutch

IIRC someone on mrs side of the family (distant family) had the MMR and soon after developed problems, think a payout was involved, don’t have the details tho. Did the NHS ever payout for possible MMR links

A small number of children will suffer vaccine damage – not of the type described by Wakefield, but complications linked to the vaccination nonetheless. ~Even ‘safe’ vaccines aren’t 100% safe, there will always be a tiny number who will suffer reactions, some severe. The government has a scheme for paying out compensation to these families.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Why the panic and hysteria OP?

It’s not either Hora, I’m angry at the idiocy of the situation, just like I’m angry at people who recklessly endanger others by driving too fast or using their mobile phone.

I know I sound very angry.

big_scot_nanny

Hora, not wanting to get dragegd into this, but flu vaccine is different.

IIRC, there are countless forms of flu kicking around, it may help you as an individual to get the vaccine, will certainly do no harm, but as it is hit and miss it is not a population vaccine.

My understanding is that there is one form of polio, one measels, one mumps etc etc.

Does that make sense?

Kev

bentudder

A separate issue is that some parents, large numbers in some areas, just do not bother to take their children for any immunisations or normal check-ups.

Kinda. But it’s a little bit more complicated than that.

The BMJ link on the first page points to a fall in vaccinations in the areas where a local paper campaigned against MMR jabs. So there’s a combination of apathy and people making a positive decision not to vaccinate going on here.

Uptake in the area covered by the study (the area around Swansea, where the current outbreak is taking place) was over 90% before the South Wales Evening Post’s campaign, just over 77% after. Linky: http://jech.bmj.com/content/54/6/473/T1.expansion.html

mogrim

There would be direct evidence presented of immediate risk to that individual’s health measured against his/her right to refuse treatment.

It could also be the case that the individual presented a risk to the community, not just to him/herself. Either way, I very much doubt that making vaccinations obligatory would go against any current human rights legislation. IANAL, though.

edlong
    Free Member

Sometimes you can’t do right for doing wrong..

My eldest was at the age for the MMR right in the middle of the scare / hysteria about it. We made the considered choice, as non-scientists who weren’t able to reach an informed judgement, to pay for separate vaccines.

Unfortunately, we went with the doctor who was subsequently prosecuted for his shoddy practices (including not keeping vaccines refridgerated) so we ended up getting the MMR done at the GP anyway.

Much as I’m normally happy to blame the Daily Mail for most of society’s ills, it’s worth pointing out that one of the vociferous backers of Wakefield was the normally righteous Private Eye. They never really properly apologised when it became clear they had been disseminating dangerous nonsense.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think I heard someone from public health Wales say they’d dropped the age restriction to 6mths in the outbreak area..

Dr in Swansea at a vaccination centre just said on R5 that its 7 months.

martinhutch

It could also be the case that the individual presented a risk to the community, not just to him/herself. Either way, I very much doubt that making vaccinations obligatory would go against any current human rights legislation. IANAL, though.

The lawyers would have fun with it either way, I guess, as you could make a good case in both directions.

As others have suggested, there are sneaky ways to compel parents to get their kids vaccinated without making it compulsory full stop – make nursery/school attendance conditional on vaccination, which I believe happens in other countries.

kja78
    Free Member

Of course it’s panic and hysteria. In 2012 there were 2016 cases of measles in the UK, that’s 0.003% of the population. I can’t find stats for deaths from measles but a doc quoted by the BBC said it’s 1 in every 1000 cases. The Health Protection Agency website says that a healthy person that contracts measles is highly unlikely to develop complications and even then it would be treatable by antibiotics.

There are many reasons that children are unvaccinated. The largest group is those who are too young, this group will always exist and will always be at risk of catching and transmitting the disease. The next largest group are those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. The group who’s parent decide not to vaccinate is very small.

In just two pages of posts we’ve read about two vaccinated children contracting the disease, so it’s not quite as reliable as ‘they’ would have you believe anyway.

[conspiracy theory hat on] The current hype about unvaccinated children from the press and government has more to do with earning profits for mega-pharma than it does a genuine concern for children’s health and wellbeing [conspiracy theory hat off]

boobs

So from my brief skim read here the doctor is always right? Do what they say without thought.

cough
    Thalidomide

Parents “try” to do the right thing, arguing the MMR case with my wife involved a lot of “what ifs” evenually we had it done.

I have found my family doctor to be pretty poor to be fair.

Aristotle
    Free Member

bent udder – Member

” A separate issue is that some parents, large numbers in some areas, just do not bother to take their children for any immunisations or normal check-ups.”

Kinda. But it’s a little bit more complicated than that.

The BMJ link on the first page points to a fall in vaccinations in the areas where a local paper campaigned against MMR jabs. So there’s a combination of apathy and people making a positive decision not to vaccinate going on here.

Agreed. There are other areas with a wider issue, though, and this has also mentioned.

hjghg5
    Free Member

In terms of sanctions/compulsion what I found interesting was that in 1998 I did a semester at a US university as part of my degree. In order to register as a student I needed to show my vaccination records and although I’d had the single vaccinations as a kid (and had my doctors records to prove it) I had to have MMR before they’d let me enrol.

bencooper
    Free Member

The current hype about unvaccinated children from the press and government has more to do with earning profits for mega-pharma

There’s a lot more profit in giving old men a stiffy than in the MMR jab.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Vaccines are safe and Gulf War Syndrome never existed .

edlong
    Free Member

So from my brief skim read here the doctor is always right? Do what they say without thought.

If I was medically qualified, or an epidemiologist, then I might question the medical profession more. I’m an accountant, so, yeah, I’ll take the word of the doctors given that they know (a lot) more than I do.

Otherwise, it’s a bit like those conspiracy theories about the twin towers, moon landing or whatever – I don’t understand what you’re telling me, so it can’t be true…

bentudder

In just two pages of posts we’ve read about two vaccinated children contracting the disease, so it’s not quite as reliable as ‘they’ would have you believe anyway.

The plural of anecdote is not fact.

molgrips
    Free Member

Two immunised kids contracting the disease. How many people with imunised kids have read this and their kids not had it?

Lots I expect. Bear in mind it’s only 90% effective.

gwaelod
    Free Member

bent udder – Member

You’ve just killed the internet

GrahamS

35 people in this thread – 2 cases of ineffective vaccination.

“They” say effectiveness is supposed to be 90%.

So that all sounds about right given the small sample size. No?

The fact that vaccines are not 100% effective is the entire reasoning behind herd immunity.

There are many reasons that children are unvaccinated. The largest group is those who are too young, this group will always exist and will always be at risk of catching and transmitting the disease. The next largest group are those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons.

Yep.. and the way you protect the children in those two groups (plus those for whom the vaccine was not effective, plus those who choose not to have it) is by reducing the chances of the virus being transmitted to them by making sure everyone else is immunised.

bentudder

gwaelod – Member
    bent udder – Member

You’ve just killed the internet

Sorry about that. My bad. 🙁

leffeboy

No, the choice should not be available because they are less effective and there is nothing wrong with the MMR vaccine.

There IS a problem with the MMR vaccine – people are (wrongly) scared of it. Even if individual vaccines are less effective they should still be available, even at a cost and with the appropriate info. It isn’t as good and shouldn’t be necessary but is better than the current situation

IHN

Yeah, I see what you’re saying, but by making the separate ones available you’re reinforcing the idea that there is something wrong with the combined one, which there isn’t.

SammyC
    Free Member

Well I for one am very glad for all those people getting their kids vaccinated. My littlest one has been unable to have the MMR as he was diagnosed with needing heart surgery from the age of one (he would be un-eligible for surgery for quite some months if he’d had the jab).

He’s now one and a half and is down to have the jab next week. Thank you to everyone in the herd for helping to keep him safe in this time.

🙂

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Do some people not really understand the potential dangers of having measles?

There’s potential dangers in letting your kids play outside, cycling on their bikes, playing conkers etc. etc. etc. I ended up on hospital for three days after playing hide-and-seek (long story!). There’s a risk in anything.

I think the government handled it badly (possibly after string of untruths before that people just started not believing them for anything), but once someone says something is bad it’s tremendously hard to convince even intelligent people that it’s not.

GrahamS

There’s potential dangers in letting your kids play outside, cycling on their bikes, playing conkers etc. etc. etc.

Of course – but most parents try to reduce the risk to their children (e.g. it’s risky crossing the road. We still let them do it but we teach them the green cross code)

Vaccination is a very simple measure that reduces the risk to your child and all other children with practically zero impact on their freedom or happiness.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I can’t find stats for deaths from measles but a doc quoted by the BBC said it’s 1 in every 1000 cases

From the data collated in the US between 1987 and 2000, the frequency of measles attributable deaths was 0.3%.

On the basis that there have been at least 500 confirmed cases in South Wales (and that number is expected to rise), at least one family is going to experience the death of their child.

That death is going to be entirely preventable.

You can’t reasonably expect your kids to grow up in a hermetically sealed box and yes they could get killed by a car tomorrow. But that argument is analogous to saying that there is not point in teaching your kids road sense because they might get leukemia.

You teach your kids road sense to reduce the risk of them getting killed on the road. You give your kids the MMR vaccine to reduce the risk of them dying from measles.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Measles outbreak, MMR and cretins who don't get their kids vacinated’ is closed to new replies.