Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Meanwhile, over at CYB….
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A Gwynedd forest has cemented its place as a world-class mountain biking destination with the official opening of a new £1.7m extension.

The new buildings at Coed-y-Brenin near Dolgellau almost double the size of facilities at the forest, including a new bike shop and hire centre.

Outside, a new beginners bike skills section has been developed called Y Ffowndri (The Foundry).

grievoustim
    Free Member

I was there a couple of times in August with the kids. They loved the new(ish) blue trail and the skills section

scuttler

Bloody love Welsh words me. Ffowndri’s my new ffavourite. I love going to Fflint but only in a tacsi, not an ambiwlans.

Hwyl

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Even more reason to get over to CyB ASAP. Just been checking my remaining holidays and I reckon I could squeeze in a night time drive over to the Tyn Y Groes, a night in there and then a full days riding as much as I can before driving home…

creamegg
    Free Member

drop off zone sounds promising 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

drive over to the Tyn Y Groes, a night in there and then a full days riding as much as I can before driving home… after spending all night propping up the bar drinking beer….

[quote]

🙂

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

It’d be rude not to sneak a couple in before last orders 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Last orders? At the Tyn Y? When you’re staying there?

Erm…. 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Welsh words are ace. 🙂

Reminds me of the story I heard of someone hunting on a map for traeth beach. Never found it…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Isn’t this old news…I rode the Minotaur (blue) months ago….

mrben100
    Free Member

patriotpro – Member
    Isn’t this old news…I rode the Minotaur (blue) months ago….

The skills zone isn’t referring to the minortaur.

Have spent the last 2weeks at cyb on hols. There is a new area up by go ape with a bit of a pump track, a couple of rocky drop-offs etc.. Was good to warm up/cool down on following the trails.

edit: last day here today 🙁 back to mountainous thetford.

twonks

They have done a good job on the new bits.
    We were there the day after it opened.

Here is the super splendid vid I made at the skills zone.

Very slow with no air time. The 14 yr old daughter went a fair bit faster and complained I was too slow 🙁 lol

wrecker
    Free Member

I know the snobs frown on this, but I ****ing LOVE CYB!

Frankers
    Free Member

I love it too

RustySpanner

wrecker – Member

I know the snobs frown on this, but I ****ing LOVE CYB!

Really?

No one’s that stupid are they?
    I love ‘natural’ stuff but still enjoy the odd trail centre blast.
    Who wouldn’t?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I heart C-y-B it’s by far the best trail centre I’ve been to, it almost doesn’t feel like one in places, well worth a 2 hour drive!

iolo
    Free Member

Coed y Brenin will always have it’s haters.
    Accept what it is.
    One of the best all weather riding centers in the uk.
    I’ve never met anyone who has not enjoyed riding there (maybe because I don’t meet many people 😆 )

iolo
    Free Member

Coed y Brenin will always have it’s haters.
    Accept what it is.
    One of the best all weather riding centers in the uk.
    I’ve never met anyone who has not enjoyed riding there (maybe because I don’t meet many people 😆 )

wl
    Free Member

Sure I’ll be a lone voice on this thread, and I haven’t read all the blurb, but did they need a new shop etc? Why not just plough all the dosh into more and better trails instead of retail opportunities?

neilc1881
    Free Member

Anyone found their way to the gwesty hotel yet? They need some better signage as I’ve yet to locate it, or the one just down the road.

iolo
    Free Member

neil,
    Put gwesty into a welsh translating website

Northwind

wl – Member

Sure I’ll be a lone voice on this thread, and I haven’t read all the blurb, but did they need a new shop etc? [quote]

I reckon they did- but only because they made a bollocks of the visitor’s centre, the shop was stuck round the back, out of sight, and ridiculously small too.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Iolo, dim problem diolch, dw i’n siarad tipyn bach o gymraeg. 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

I love CyB too unfortunately it looks like it’s going to be at least a year before I can get over there again. 🙁

patriotpro
    Free Member

I don’t really like CyB but for families and groups of mixed abilities it’s up there with best Blighty has.

Must say I thought the same as ‘wl’ about blowing money ona new shop though. I mean I’ve not seen the new stuff but the last time I heard 1.7milion was still lot of money…

rOcKeTdOg

will be there next month 8)

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’ve got to admit, this really pisses me off:

The new buildings at Coed-y-Brenin near Dolgellau almost double the size of facilities at the forest,

What a load of crap, it doesn’t double the size of the facilities it doubles the size of the buildings. People don’t go to CyB for the blasted buildings, they go there for the cycling.
    The same thing happened at Glentress a few years back. I’d been hearing all this amazing stuff about how much money they’d recently spent on the place, when I got there the Ewok Village was still shut, the various walls were still shut and the skills area had gone well downhill. But they’d spent millions on a pissing visitor centre, shop and car park and added precisely bugger all actual riding to the place.

PS I really love CyB. But still think they’ve done wrong this time.

Northwind

@thegeneralist, the glentress build wasn’t aimed exclusively at bikers- new cafe divides opinion but it’s far more popular with walkers etc. Forest isn’t just for us.

(though I agree the skills area is way worse than it was, shame, a lot of work went into making it substandard)

scaredypants

drop off zone sounds promising

SOme sort of uplift service for the skills area ? Sweeet !

patriotpro
    Free Member

Agree with generalist.

On the the subject of Glentress – The cafe there is disgraceful; dirty, overpriced and the food is dire. How hard can it be to make good honest food and make a profit from it…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Patriot what didn’t you like about CyB?

Can’t say I have been to the cafe at either CyB or glentress but the wall closure at glentress robbed me of the opportunity to show off crash massively and painfully in front of my mates.

bland

Who got the contract for the bike shop in the end? Last time I was there the old owners were waiting for the decision.

I must say it felt dated when I was last there easier this year. Granted it was wet but it was dead, and the trails just felt old and basic. I expect a trail centre to be fun, this was neither natural trail like not fun in relation to the newer centres, just felt it was losing appeal

patriotpro
    Free Member

I_Ache – rocky for the sake of being rocky was my lasting memory of the MBR. The last descent seemed intent on spoiling flow rather than encouraging it. I just found the design a bit odd in parts tbh.

See Bland’s second paragraph which I agree with…

I_Ache
    Free Member

It’s the rocks that I love. I really enjoy rock gardens and having to manhandle the bike around. Granted a lot of it is just slabs but when it gets fun it’s great.

forge197
    Free Member

Be there tomorrow 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Really?

No one’s that stupid are they?
    I love ‘natural’ stuff but still enjoy the odd trail centre blast.
    Who wouldn’t?

I like trail centres but I thought CyB was one of my least favourite out of those I’ve ridden. Dunno why, just nothing that amazing although there were a few really fun sections of singletrack on whatever we rode. Nanty is probably my favourite in Wales.

bigrich

all the good stuff was on the other side.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Meanwhile, over at CYB….’ is closed to new replies.