Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Mealy-mouthed
  • mefty
    Free Member

…which is pathetic.

+1, actually konabunny is pretty sound on this thread.

nickc

but neither is it incitement, requiring custody.

section 19 (Public Order Act) also covers “abusive and insulting”

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

He shouldn’t have been arrested, however twatish his comments (and of course they were).

The internet response made me proud to be British human. I love it when the vocal majority are normal, sane, un-biggoted people.

Having said that, Irishers, how do you explain Bono?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Did anyone else spot what this chap’s job is?

mikey3
    Free Member

Is he your carer?

Sandwich

Did anyone else spot what this chap’s job is?

B Ark passenger?

thegreatape
    Free Member

PR something or other

mattyfez

Hitchens and Dawkins et. Al. Are/were confronting mental illness/feebleness in general, a disease on society that is holding up the entire human race.

It’s very different, almost polar opposite from knowingly insulting a random individual.

I’m quite glad he was arrested.. But at the same time, I wonder why police don’t concentrate on more serious crime if they are so stretched and undereasorced.

GrahamS

I wonder why police don’t concentrate on more serious crime if they are so stretched and undereasorced.

If only “serious crime” is investigated then lesser crimes are only technically illegal.

chewkw
    Free Member

In this particular case the authority is wasting public money.

Bear in mind not all them in authority are that bright you know.

jimw
    Free Member

In this particular case the authority is wasting public money.

In your opinion. Others may have different opinions,

Bear in mind not all them in who complain about them in authority are that bright you know.

The tweeter may well fall into this category, amongst others……

callmetc
    Free Member

bigjim – Member
    How dare the police take action against innocent white people

this

konabunny
    Free Member

knowingly insulting a random individual.

Do you think it should be a criminal offence to insult people, dogbreath?

chewkw
    Free Member

jimw – Member
    In your opinion. Others may have different opinions,

Ya, mine. I am just here to balance things up. 😛

Bear in mind not all them in who complain about them in authority are that bright you know.

Nobody is that bright but the ones that complained to authority are just dumber or stooopidly dumb.

The tweeter may well fall into this category, amongst others……

The way I read it the tweeter just said something after they rejected answering him.

Think about this … just like ex-PM Gordan Brown brought made a passing comment about the “bigoted” woman, you know the passing comment when you got cheese off when someone refuses to comply with you or go against you …

jimw
    Free Member

Yes, but that “something” he said may well have been quite aggressive or intimidating or, in this case, just plain stupid (in my opinion)- in that situation most people may not have wanted to answer. it was her prerogative.

We are clearly not going to agree

chewkw
    Free Member

jimw – Member
    Yes, but that “something” he said may well have been quite aggressive or intimidating or, in this case, just plain stupid (in my opinion)- in that situation most people may not have wanted to answer. it was her prerogative.

We are clearly not going to agree

This is my understanding of the description.

mealy-mouthed

adjective

afraid to speak frankly or straightforwardly.

You tell me that is a bad description. 😯

Your ex-PM Brown is much more aggressive towards that woman(public) by calling her bigoted.

Bigoted is a much more demeaning word to describe an ordinary public whether the person is educated or not. You will go ape-shite if someone call you bigot.

Remember ex-PM Brown was in position of power when he used that word whereas this person merely described the situation he encountered.

You lot are really losing the plot … ya .. you lot or as my former colleague used to say … you people. 🙄

edit: I think the person(s) who complained did not even understand the description or meaning and instantly took offense.

GrahamS

Now see this, this is a proper waste of police time:
    North Carolina man arrested after failing to return old video rental (BBC News)

mefty
    Free Member

It is being reported that charges have been withdrawn after CPS became involved. Seems sensible.

chewkw
    Free Member

mefty – Member

It is being reported that charges have been withdrawn after CPS became involved. Seems sensible.

Public money saved until the next event … 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Asian (I assume Muslim) shop keeper is Glasgow appears to have been the victim of a race hate murder. RIP and may the perpetrators spend a very long time in prison.

Stoner
    Free Member

At least someone at the CPS told the MET to stop being dicks.

On Friday, the Metropolitan Police announced he had been charged with publishing or distributing written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, likely or intended to stir up racial hatred.

But hours later a police spokesman said Mr Doyle was “no longer charged with the offence”, following a discussion with the Crown Prosecution Service.

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-03-26/police-drop-race-hate-charge-against-man-over-mealy-mouthed-tweet/

MSP

Ah yes it is the MET being dicks, not the man who walked up to a women in the street and verbally abused her, then boasted about it on twitter 🙄

chakaping
    Free Member

Stoner – Did you ever catch up with the fella’s other Twitter content then?

Seems to me that you made your mind up when you read the headline.

konabunny
    Free Member

Ah yes it is the MET being dicks, not the man who walked up to a women in the street and verbally abused her, then boasted about it on twitter

Being a dick is not a criminal offence (luckily for most forum posters).

As a society, we have to W/MTFU and stop trying to get people arrested for saying things that are insulting or offensive.

konabunny
    Free Member

Ah yes it is the MET being dicks, not the man who walked up to a women in the street and verbally abused her, then boasted about it on twitter

Being a dick is not a criminal offence (luckily for most forum posters).

As a society, we have to W/MTFU and stop trying to get people arrested for saying things that are stupid, insulting or offensive. Idiocy and rudeness are not legitimate police matters (as, apparently, the CPS just had to remind the Met).

grum
    Free Member

Assuming the incident really happened, at what point would you say being insulted should become a crime KB? Never?

What if this guy went up to the same woman day after day and kept talking about terrorism in a rude and aggressive way. It’s really not as simple as ‘saying offensive things shouldn’t be a crime’, however much you’d like it to be.

And chakaping +1

Stoner
    Free Member

not the man who walked up to a women in the street and verbally abused he

He wasnt arrested for that. He was arrested for Tweeting about it (if it really happened or not)

No one is saying he hasnt been a dick. My complaint is that censorship/curtailment of freedom of speech (including the right to be a dick) is more serious.

El-bent
    Free Member

This is more to do with Stoners libertarian tendencies, and his dislike of the state.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Stoner yes but the issue is whether it was stirring race / religious hatred. I think its hard for the Police to ignore when its written down and distributed.

ninfan
    Free Member

I see that ‘Muslim’ appears to have turned into a race rather than a religion again

chakaping
    Free Member

Stoner ignoring the question, today.

Stoner
    Free Member

well this is a good thing. I didnt know it, not suprsingly, bit embarrassing that the MET didn’t know it though!

A police spokesman said: “Following discussion with the Crown Prosecution Service, Mr Doyle is no longer charged with the offence and will not be appearing in court.

“Police may not make charging decisions on offences under Section 19 of the Public Order Act. There will be further consultation with the CPS.”

http://news.sky.com/story/1667202/race-hate-charge-over-brussels-tweet-dropped

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner – Did you ever catch up with the fella’s other Twitter content then?

No. Do I need to read more of his crap to come to the same conclusion that the police should not have attempted to charge him for his “Mealy mouthed” tweet?

gobuchul
    Free Member

The whole thing was ridiculous.

Is it illegal to be a small minded, racist bigot?

If anyone really thinks he should be prosecuted for that tweet you need to take a look at yourself.

The ridicule he received on Twitter was the correct response.

grum
    Free Member

Would we being the same level of freedom o speech outrage if this had been offered at a different target? Say going up to a Jewish person and aggressively asking them to apologise for the actions of the Israeli government, then tweeting about it and using racially offensive terminology for Jews?

I doubt it.

Stoner
    Free Member

racially offensive terminology

where did the dick use “racially offensive terminology”?

konabunny
    Free Member

Would we being the same level of freedom o speech outrage if this had been offered at a different target? Say going up to a Jewish person and aggressively asking them to apologise for the actions of the Israeli government, then tweeting about it etc etc

Yes. HTH.

https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/human-rights/free-speech-and-protest/speech-offences

grum
    Free Member

In the tweets that you couldn’t be bothered reading Stoner.

Not convinced KB, sorry.

konabunny
    Free Member

Oh, I see, you’re one of those loopy people that suspects Jews enjoy special privileges.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Mealy-mouthed’ is closed to new replies.