Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Me night in Grinton’s been cancelled!!
  • richardkennerley

Still had the night of Ardrock booked at Grinton near Reeth, figured I could still go and do some riding anyway despite ardrock being cancelled. I was thinking of extending it to two nights as well. Bit of a gamble I know!

Just had confirmation from YHA today that my booking is cancelled now, although I can transfer to a camping pod if I want.

Now I’ve got no qualms about staying in a camping pod, apart from the fact I hate camping and therefore have no equipment, so I would be relying on the local boozers/shops being able to feed me, which is obviously a bit of a risk. Especially if I’m there two nights.

Assuming overnight travel is allowed by that point, would you risk booking a two night stay in Reeth and expect to be able to get decent meals for two days!?

nbt

Yes. couple of nice pubs in Reeth / general area. Wnhen we stayed at the Dales Bike Cntre we ate there one night (food was lovely) and at the Bridge Inn in Grinton the other night. Had a couple of beer in The Buck, some folks ate there.

Further down the road the Punch Bowl is supposed to be VERY good

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s a gorgeous area, only time you may struggle for food is sunday morning, but I’d assume dales bike centre will be open. I’d go, for sure, but I’d take camp stove, food and some beers in case.

timidwheeler

If the pod has a socket (most do) take your kettle and some food that just needs hot water. Porridge pots etc. That way if the pubs and shops are closed you won’t go hungry.

el_boufador

I stayed in those pods a couple of years back. Pretty decent except the futons are frigging awful to sleep on. Take a decent camping mat would be my advice. Anyway, decent boozer down the road, has a nice big fire pit, enjoyed myself!

richardkennerley

@el_boufador did the pod have a socket!?

My main concern is what availability there’ll be in the pubs/cafes if they’re even open at all. I suppose there’s plenty other villages round there, I should find something. Richmond isn’t too far either.

I could swap my booking to Hawes YHA by the look of it. That’s a bit nearer to home.

I fancy doing a days MTB plus a days road of I get the opportunity.

johndoh
    Free Member

Our girls’ School Residential at Grinton was cancelled (they were meant to be going back in April). Still no sign of a refund (just shy of £400). Not sure if this is the YHA or the school dragging their heels though.

🙁

slowol

We had a YHA booked for April and got refunded Ok.
    Probably an admin delay somewhere. Schools are up to their eyes in risk assessment and other admin at the moment.

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ Yes this is possibly the case and we haven’t bothered the school about it yet as I know they are under lots of pressure, but it would be nice to get the money back and put it towards going somewhere as a family this summer (or add it to the credit we have from CenterParcs for a cancelled break with them and get an upgrade – hell, with £400 extra to spend there we might be able to get a meal in one of the restaurants).

el_boufador

On the plug socket, pretty sure it did. Yha website usually has photos on it, you may be able to work it out for sure from that, or just ring them

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Me night in Grinton’s been cancelled!!’ is closed to new replies.