Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)
  • me and my wife…
  • Coyote
    Free Member

I’m in the wrong for questioning how she went into the back of someone, in a 5MPH traffic jam

She’s probably feeling a bit shitty about the bump and you asking, quite frankly, dumb questions like this will not help. She wasn’t concentrating, she hit another car. So what. It happens. Is the damage so bad to your car that it needs repairing or is it just a bit of a battle scar. If the bump was in a 5mph traffic jam I can’t see it being that bad. £250 excess? Can you try a recommended garage and see what they can do for less.

ononeorange

Bear +2. Yes the crash is symptomatic of other things, but you are accepting that some lie with you and appear willing to confront. You must give it your best shot at keeping it together. It sounds trite but you do need to be able to communicate – if Relate does it, then that’s great.

Good luck.

Trimix
    Free Member

If it does not work dont force it.

Kids are not daft, they will see you dont get on and it will make their life shite.

Split up, stay on speaking terms and share the parenting.

Almost half the population is the opposite sex, there will be someone else out there who you can get on with and life could be much better.

nickf
    Free Member

The crash is annoying and expensive but it’s just a car. Driving lessons might be a good idea, and no, I’m not joking. Don’t mention that tonight though. Put your arms around her, tell her that you love her, and that you’re glad she’s OK. Take her out for that meal.

If you can’t bring yourself to do this, it’s time to think long and hard about leaving.

Edukator
    Free Member

How about you cooking a nice meal at home?

GaryLake
    Free Member

She’s probably feeling a bit shitty about the bump and you asking, quite frankly, dumb questions like this will not help.

This. She probably felt like a tit. You just pointed out the obvious.

Sounds like you need to focus on the real problems and not worry about a bumped car.

freddyg
    Free Member

Bizarre.

I’m in an almost identical situation with mine.

She bumped my (work) car in an empty car park and I went ballistic, not because of the damage, but because it was the straw that broke the camels back. She spends more money than we have, she’s lazy, she’s piled on weight to the stage that I’ve started to find her physically repulsive – there’s more that I won’t bore you with.

I want to leave for a number of reasons but just can’t bring myself to do it. I couldn’t walk away from our two kids – they’re the most important thing in the world to me.

F*ck me, I’m miserable now 😐

Sorry Warton. No help, but at least you’re not the only one.

nickf
    Free Member

How about you cooking a nice meal at home?

Not a bad call, but if the plan was originally to go out, I’d stick to that, though I’d probably say “if you still feel up to it” and be easily persuaded to cook at home if she mentioned that the cost might be a bit much, given the car damage.

edlong
    Free Member

@freddyg As per my earlier comment, don’t kid yourself that bringing them up in a miserable domestic situation is doing the right thing by your kids. You won’t stop being their dad if you go, and you might be better at it if you’re not a miserable bugger who hates his life.

freddyg
    Free Member

Thanks Edlong. I think you’re right, but the thought of being away from them would break me. I couldn’t bear it.

EDIT: It’s our wedding anniversary tomorrow too. Joy.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Warton, your situation sounds very similar to the one I was in with the first Mrs Balanced 22 years ago. I don’t regret getting out, despite having to leave our 6 month old daughter but I did make a thorough mess of it by staying until it took a third party to show me that relationships could be better. It was partly hope that things would get better, partly fear of the unknown that made me stay as long as I did but it sounds like you need to make a decision as to whether the relationship is salvageable or not before too long.
    My daughter has mostly been understanding about me not being there apart from a patch in her mid teens when she became resentful of the circumstances of my departure.

wrecker
    Free Member

Does she lose it a lot?

Seemingly irrational?

Bouts of over enthusastic happiness?

BOuts of making big plans?

Spending sprees?

If yes to 3 or more of those look up Bipolar Woman

FTFY

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Your wife probably feels really stupid and embarrassed after the crash and last thing she needs is the Spanish inquisition from you, go for the meal and see it as an opportunity to start building bridges, sounds like your both stressed as hell.

timc
    Free Member

Second Paragraph probably gives you the answer to the question in the first paragraph.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Who says that her mind wasnt thinking about you and why its not quite rosy at the moment as to the reason she bumped the car?. It is a huge step away to walk from this situation and to turn life around , rather than to try and work things out. Hang in there as best you can and try to work things out, before bailing.

soobalias
    Free Member

you should still go out for the meal.

no point in cancelling it, its not exactly equivalent spend is it?
    you wouldnt buy a half in the pub just because you spend a grand on a bike.

its only a car, but she should have to explain her c*ckup and take the flack that accompanies that. Try to laugh it off (with her, not at her) and embrace your overdraft for a couple more months.

restless
    Free Member

Maybe she crashed it on purpose because she doesn’t want to go out with you tonight?

carbon337
    Free Member

Heres a new angle for you, not saying its right or wrong but think about your son growing up with another man in his life, maybe calling him dad. Maybe getting wrong off that guy for doing something trivial, maybe pushed out from a possible new step family.

The thought of my 18 month old daughter calling another man daddy or him seeing her more than me or possibly him smacking/shouting her is enough to make me cry.

Stay where you are, get off STW and spend more time together doing simple things like walks on beaches etc. Ditch the meal save the cash but maybe treat her to a night of you cooking something special. Set the table put a candle on etc etc

She probably feels bad enough as it is. Remember the wedding vows in most cases its easier to give in and walk, the hard part is to stand there accept her minor faults stay for your family.

GW
    Free Member

I’m in an almost identical situation with mine.

She bumped my (work) car in an empty car park and I went ballistic, not because of the damage, but because it was the straw that broke the camels back. She spends more money than we have, she’s lazy, she’s piled on weight to the stage that I’ve started to find her physically repulsive – there’s more that I won’t bore you with.

I want to leave for a number of reasons but just can’t bring myself to do it. I couldn’t walk away from our two kids – they’re the most important thing in the world to me.Don’t worry, the courts almost always give custody to the Father if the mother has put on weight..

stgeorge

Look at the positives – she won’t lose her no claims bonus 🙂

warton
    Free Member

LOL at stgeorge. every month I think another month closer to 1 years no claims!

I’m going to buy her some flowers and go from there.

thanks to all for their wisdom, STW comes good!

Coyote
    Free Member

Don’t worry, the courts almost always give custody to the Father if the mother has put on weight..

😆

ononeorange

Good man. Well done.

nwgiles

My son is 2 and I split from my wife, she kicked me out, 9months ago. Couldn’t bear to be in the same room. He is young enough to not no the difference, she has had to grow up, and we get along better.

It was starting to affect him all the shouting but if all you argue about is money, then enjoy each other. Money is nice but you will find a way to cope.

damo2576
    Free Member

What car is it?

warton
    Free Member

why? did she crash into you?

martinhutch

Is the decline in things after you’ve taken account of the fact your world and hers have recently been turned upside down by your new arrival? First few years can feel tough as hell, especially if you’re still getting disrupted sleep.

Grouchy and argumentative – check
    Not enough time with each other – check
    Lack of concentration when in traffic jams – check…

Only you can decide if you want to stick with it or not, but a lot of blokes, and lasses, feel this way a couple of years into parenthood. Don’t make any hasty moves – how about dragging out a few conciliatory words, getting her down the restaurant and just having a chat?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

GW – Member
    ………………..but seriously.. leave her, you sound like a dick

Which makes you wonder…………..

As for the OP, I’ve no idea. My missus’ driving is just as bad, she doesn’t count her car’s wheels as ‘kerbed’ because the outside 2 were a trafic island not the pavement.

slimjim78
    Free Member

alcohol.

and foreplay. generally just being nice does the trick for me.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Change the title of the thread to ‘My wife and I’.

Easy way to tell if ‘I’ or ‘me’ is appropriate, take away the other. So, take away ‘wife’ and the thread title is ‘I’…clearly wrong. 😉

edlong
    Free Member

Alcohol IS foreplay

randomjeremy
    Free Member

OP be thankful it was only a small bump and not something serious; your son still has a mum, that’s the important thing. Give your wife a big hug when she comes home tonight.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

Seriously get her off the road, I ride a bike, scooter and push bike on the road and I don’t want people like her near me. A little hard I guess but maybe you could suggest some advance driving lessons.
    Of the point you are really posting – don’t stay together because you fell you have to – my parents did that and it was not a great atmosphere -they do not talk even after being apart for 17 years and I can not even mention his name. IME money is the root of most relationship problems and the only way to change this is to review how and what you spend your money on. You should be together because you make each other laugh, you love each other and you could not face a day without that person in your life. If you do not feel like that then it is time say what each other thinks.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

When my mrs gets on my nerves I get her in a headlock and rub my knuckles on her head, after a minute or so she calms down, once calm we can then apply diplomacy.

BigJohn

so, what do I do

I’m not being judgmental, I’m being completely objective. I think we should always ask the hard questions of ourselves.

Maybe ask yourself which one of you is the problem. And if there’s a sustainable way for you to change your behaviour and attitude so that you get on better.

funkrodent

I’m currently separated from my wife. Have been for 6 months. We have a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old. It had to happen as things got steadily worse. Fortunately it has been amicable and I see her and the kids 3-4 times per week. What I would say is the impact of a small child is immense (sleep, changed priorities, a myriad of child related decisions that you don’t necessarily agree on etc). It is worth fighting for and certainly things get easier as the kid(s) get older. Try relate, also try and get time together as a couple, and not just meals. How many nights have you spent together without your son since he was born? Weekends away? Remember what it was that got you together in the first place and try to rekindle some of that. That said, if the time really does come, sometimes its better for all concerned to call it quits. But it is absolutely a last resort

moniex
    Free Member

Advice to mrs warton:

What to do when you have a mishap in the car:

1 tell the other half ASAP when he is still at work and when you are still upset. (he can now do all his moaning at someone else)
    2 make sure to exaggerate the damage done, very important.
    3 dinner should be on the table (his favourite) when he comes home.
    4 kids to bed early and ‘special treat’ for other half, put in plenty of effort.

After all this, it could have happened to anyone…. and damage is not that bad.

It works!

warton
    Free Member

Seriously get her off the road, I ride a bike, scooter and push bike on the road and I don’t want people like her near me

I don’t particularly care what you want. I ride 200 / 250 miles a week on the road, and there are much, much worse drivers than her out there

To everyone else, got home with a bunch of flowers, which she wasn’t expecting. sons at his grandparents and we’re going out. We both said we didn’t want this to be the straw that broke the camels back, and it had certainly crossed both our minds. Cheers.

seavers
    Free Member

Take a step back. 2 year old (lovely but hard work!) Plus the new addition means your relationship will be going through changes you may not be able to adentify add to that money being tight etc and when lots of crap things happen at once it feels like the world is against you. Its all stress and frustrating stress if it feels like you and your wife are being pushed apart instead of coming together.

The good thing is you have recognized there are problems if you can both do that that is even better. As others have said relate is defo an option if you both agree it might help. If not you could both agree to set aside some time, just the two of you and talk about stuff. The problem with doing it outside of counseling is that you can both become easily agitated when trying to make your point, especially if you think the other person doesn’t fully understand.

Pro help/councilling would be best and nothing to be ashamed of, I don’t think it means you have failed but more so that you both want to make your relationship succeed.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Have a quiet think, setting aside the anger you currently feeling, and honestly ask yourself this important question:

Do you still love her?

If you do then tell her, tonight, and mean it!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘me and my wife…’ is closed to new replies.