Mcdonalds bad parent content…have you ?

Home Forum Chat Forum Mcdonalds bad parent content…have you ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • Mcdonalds bad parent content…have you ?
  • soma_rich

It’s not that bad is it? Once in a while. If we have to stop at services my son sometimes gets a happy meal if he’s been good…
    *dons asbestos jacket*

Premier Icon the-muffin-man
    Subscriber

Everything in moderation!

We have a McDonalds once or twice a month.

fasthaggis

Have you seen ..About A Boy ?

🙂

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

5 year old? that’s fine!

Me and a mate stopped off at Cannock MacDonalds on the way back from the Chase once. There was a couple feeding a chicken nugget happy meal to a child who can’t have been much (if any) more than a year old.

timbur

Using McD’c as a reward?
    Blimey, back to the heady mid 80’s we go :O(

Everything in moderation I guess but they do have a use when you need a clean toilet.

Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

There was a couple feeding a chicken nugget happy meal to a child who can’t have been much (if any) more than a year old.

If they’re on solids and it’s not too regular an occurrence, then why not? There’s nothing better than seeing your child wolf down some nutritious, home-made food, but sometimes getting anything down is enough. When it becomes the main meal of every day you need to start worrying 🙂

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

It’s just a cheap restaurant. No need to get all stuck up about it. Don’t eat there all the time, but don’t avoid it on principle. They’ve improved a lot as a company since the days of McLibel, and the different countries are run very differently in any case.

camo16

We’ve taken our lad there four or five times – he’s now 8.

He never eats all the food and at last he’s realised that the happy meal toys are total pants.

Premier Icon stilltortoise
    Subscriber

they do have a use when you need a clean toilet

This

We stopped for some grub on the way back from Wales last weekend. The toilets were spotless. I was very impressed.

Markie

I know someone who calls McDonalds ‘the organic cafe’ so that if anyone ever asks her kid (now 4) what he did on a day (not that often) when they’ve been to McD’s he’ll say “we went to the organic cafe”!

It was a birthday treat for me (yep, 80s) and I love it, still feels like a treat every time I go (once every couple months, I guess).

Never taken Jr, but can well imagine that a motorway services will be her first go!

jamiea

There was a couple feeding a chicken nugget happy meal to a child who can’t have been much (if any) more than a year old.

Tick! Coming back from the south coast on holiday (5 1/2 hours in the car on a clear run) A14 closed, got stuck in school run traffic around Leicester with 14 month old daughter getting hungry and it’s absolutely chucking it down. Spent 20 minutes on the look out for somewhere to stop and had resort to getting her some McNuggets, minus the batter, to stem the screams and tears. Did feel a bit wrong at the time, but hey ho, it’s not like she lives on the stuff!

Cheers,
    Jamie

thegreatape

Wise words from fasthaggis

Now and then is ok; its useful to point out how unhealthy some of the Mcd clients look and discuss why.

Premier Icon bails
    Subscriber

If they’re on solids and it’s not too regular an occurrence, then why not? There’s nothing better than seeing your child wolf down some nutritious, home-made food, but sometimes getting anything down is enough

Looking at an NHS baby development timeline it looks like the kid was much younger than 12 months as she had no teeth and was gumming the chicken nuggets. Didn’t look like she wanted them to be honest but the parents kept putting them into her mouth, she’d make it a bit soggy and then drop it. Parents would give it back to her, she’d gum it a bit more etc.

Edit: Everyone saying “it’s fine if it’s not every other day”…I agree entirely, same applies for adults! But this couple looked like it was every other day… That’s me being judgemental and prejudiced so flame away, but when both parents are out of breath after walking 10 yards from the counter to their seats (taking up 2 each, must be the seats getting smaller) it’s hard not feel a bit sorry for the kid that’s going to follow in their footsteps.

As a driver in a previous life the golden archers were a God send. Cheap coffee and clean toilets which is more than can be said for most motorway services. The food is crap but as we all know crap food taste good. I have always gone there with my daughter, probably half a dozen times a year.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

It’s called baby led weaning, and is a great way of getting kids to eat a good range of foods. Giving them soft foods they can handle at the stage where they still just chew everything gets them used to the taste and mouth feel of all sorts of foods. It doesn’t have to be chicken of course, but it could be. Said parents may have been feeding their baby carrots and broccoli at home – we were.

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

< sneaks hand up from back of class >

My daughter works in one. It is an out-of-town one in a reasonable area though, so the clientele is not quite as bad as some. Having inside knowledge is an eye opener – its spotlessly maintained, cleaned very regularly, lots of training for staff, and some of the food is reasonably healthy ‘as part of a balanced diet’. She’s a fussy veggie and there’s enough options for her at break times to keep her eating.

I think you could do far worse eating regularly at Costa/Starbucks/Eat etc

Ro5ey

It’s not that bad, I went twice last thrusday….

Once with the lad at lunch time, then with my daughter after swimming in the evening…. so what ?

She can bash out 25m front crawl at the age of five and almost ate her own body weight in spouts yday

sugdenr

In our house McD is seen as the ‘unhealthy cafe’, so when we occasionally get a drive through we all sit there feeling guilty (kids included) whilst consoling ourselves wiht milkshakes and fries.

Worse, the household propaganda has worked so well that I almost have to make my kids go to McD, they mostly demand to be taken to Zizzi or Pizza Express.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

chris wrote:

Now and then is ok; its useful to point out how unhealthy some of the Mcd clients look and discuss why.

Then take your kid into the local Indian restaurant on a Friday night when he boozers are closing and repeat the exercise I suppose?

Premier Icon NJA
    Subscriber

All things in moderation, they are OK if you go occasionally.

My youngest has just started college, and the thing I take issue with is the fact that there is a McD’s almost opposite the student entrance (I blame the council) and that they offer free chips with any burger to the students.

This makes them cheaper than the college canteen and as a consequence for the first two weeks my son had McD’s for lunch every day – he has only stopped because he noticed how lethargic he was in the afternoons.

I say stopped, because he tells me that he has, but I am sure that he gives in to peer pressure/ corporate marketing at least once a week.

user-removed

I thought we’d decided, as a forum, that pointing at fatties and laughing is a bad thing, no? Quite happy to start again if that’s the way the wind’s blowing.

thegreatape

She can bash out 25m front crawl at the age of five and almost ate her own body weight in spouts yday

I reckon anyone who ate their own bodyweight in sprouts could manage 25m front crawl. I could probably get across the Channel in those circumstances.

(Well done to her though!)

Torminalis

In our house McD is seen as the ‘unhealthy cafe’, so when we occasionally get a drive through we all sit there feeling guilty (kids included) whilst consoling ourselves wiht milkshakes and fries.

This is a beautiful image and almost perfectly describes the hollow feeling of shame after eating 2 big macs. 😳

DrP

It’s OK every now and then isn’t it.
    It’s no worse than proudly giving a child organic carrots and lettuce every day, whilst forgetting that kids need fats/proteins, as well as life experience….

DrP

deadlydarcy

I’m quite partial to their strawberry shakes myself. And their double sausage and egg mcmuffin. 🙂

‘S funny how some see McD’s as shite but will happily munch down a fry-up in a greasy spoon without a thought as to where the cheap sausages, eggs, bacon and black pudding come from. To me, they’re all absolute shite, but there’s a place for a bit of shite in life, as long as it’s not often.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Using McD’c as a reward?

Er yes, kids like it.

Sweets aren’t good for them either, but they seem to like them.

piemonster

I have to admit I was surprised at the cleanliness of the toilets. I actually went in after a previous thread, just to see for myself the alleged improvement.

I still find it vile to be honest after trying 3 different items in 3 different occasions. And that’s a personal opinion, your allowed your own.

But yes, a reasonable place to stop for a crap.

warton

william is 3 and a half. he’s been three times. He likes it when we go.

It’s easy, and sometimes you need an easy option with kids, no big deal.

rossi46

To be honest if healthy food was cheaper, then more people would eat it. A Macca D’s happy meal is fine if theres no Greggs or Subway around- then again they aren’t always a healthy option are they?

EDIT: I am a fan of their sausage McMuffins in the morning though 😀

_tom_

McDonalds double cheeseburger(s) and a milkshake is the ultimate hangover cure.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I wish there was a national network of say, Pret a Manger, close to major routes and with parking. A Jalapeno chicken hot wrap is £4.50, not much more than a top end burger at McDs.

It’s a shame there isn’t, though.

Then take your kid into the local Indian restaurant on a Friday night when he boozers are closing and repeat the exercise I suppose?

They would be in bed.

Ro5ey

in a reasonable area though, so the clientele is not quite as bad as some.

See that’s another reason I like McD…. the diversity

In the first McD last thrusday, the lad and I were sat next to a super heavily tattooed and pierced lesbian couple with their kids and later in the day my little fish and I were next to a large family of African origin. My kids stared at each, my little girl more listening to the african family speak … Nigerian/Ugandan/Swahili or whatever it was… and I took the opportunity to explain these “different” families to them.

And we got balloons in each …. so there 😛

aphex_2k

My 2 year old has been once. “Chippies Daddy?” He does have a love for healthy stuff though – loves blueberries and nana’s. Ice cream is “yakkie”.

I don’t mind it myself. Once in a while I’ll get a couple of sausage muffins and they do “proper” coffee too (ok so it’s not perfect but a bit of breakfast and a macchiato goes down well).

rossi46

See that’s another reason I like McD…. the diversity

trail_rat

find the breakfast butties vile – too much salt

how ever – they do a nice granola / yogurt thing and fruit salad.

as a world wide worker who often works in places with food thats best described as “mush” – often the golden arches can be a source of salvation – clean toilets , hot food that i can identify and comunication with the outside world (wifi) – i know this might sound like a strange concept to an office worker in surrey but beggers cant be choosers.

unfitgeezer

Took the eldest boy (5yrs) for a long urban walk yesterday viaducts of North London ! We got caught out in the torrential rain so I see the Golden Arches…He had never set foot in one before…he has now had his first strawberry milkshake…he loved it !

He did keep asking why we never come here…oh the innocence

I am such a bad parent and welcome any insults !

patriotpro

I am such a bad parent

For treating your son!?! Get a grip FFS…

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

They sponsor both the World Cup and the Olympics, so they must be healthy.

I take my kids for a Maccy D’s every couple of weeks. Binnerette number 1 loves a chilli chicken wrap after she’s played footy on a Saturday. I don’t really get some peoples irrational hatred of the Golden Arches. There are far worse things kids could be eating. The coffees good, and Mozzerella dippers are one of the most addictive things known to man!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Mcdonalds bad parent content…have you ?’ is closed to new replies.