Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • MBP mid 2009 – worth upgrading?
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

Its in need of a new battery, a ram upgrade and ideally a SSD i guess. So maybe £120. Is it worth spending money on or is something newer for the same cost or a little more than the upgrades going to be a substantial gain?

I like the quality of the build and keyboard.

spacemonkey

So maybe £120. Is it worth spending money on or is something newer for the same cost or a little more

I assume You’re not expecting a newer MBP to cost anything like as little as £120? Stick a zero on the end and you’re getting closer.

You talking about a Chromebook or cheapy laptop?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Im including the SH value of the mac

ratherbeintobago

What’s the second hand value of a 9yo Mac though?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

About £200

Superficial
    Free Member

I went from a 2011 (which recently developed a weird intermittent power fault) to a 2018 model. The main difference is that the new one’s way lighter and thinner which is great because it comes with me on the bike to work. The battery is better, too. Oh, and the retina screen is awesome.

But honestly, none of these things are game changers – whereas an SSD in your machine will be. There are also aspects which are worse about the new model – it feels less robust (I don’t know whether it actually is, time will tell), and the keyboard isn’t quite as nice. If your machine works fine and does what you need it to do, I’d save the cash.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I had a late 2009 MacBook until recently when the battery swelled up and knackered the motherboard. Up until that point it was working fine after making out in ram and installing a hybrid HDD a year or we before, so for the sake of £120 i’d Say yes, it’s worth it. Definitely cheaper than replacing with a new Apple and less hassle than replacing with an alternative.

spacemonkey

FTR, I still have my 2007 MBP 4Gb Dual Core 2GHz jobby running Mountain Lion. Haven’t touched it for years until a few days ago.

Works a treat for lightweight tasks. Fans spin up when playing video but that’s the only downside to performance. Obv it has its limitations but I quite like having a play on OSX all over again.

arogers
    Free Member

IMO you won’t get anything which is anywhere near as good as your upgraded MBP for £320. I recently had to use a very well reviewed HP Windows 10 machine which retails for 3 times your budget. My old MBP is far better. Your only issue might be if other stuff starts going wrong with the Mac. Mine is no longer my daily driver but feels like it could go on forever. Realistically though, I know it’ll die at some point.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘MBP mid 2009 – worth upgrading?’ is closed to new replies.