Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Mazda RX-8
  • Surfr
    Free Member

Mines an '04 192 and I've flooded the engine once by starting and immediately turning off without the high rev procedure. I just had a lapse of memory for a moment. AA got it going after a few hours! I have used the high revs (I use about 4000 RPM for 8 seconds) then key off, and its never faltered since.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Blimey I bet they don't tell you that one when you buy in the show room…. nobody told me !

hora
    Free Member

Funkydunc- how many ex-demonstrators were driven wrongly by salesmen who couldnt give a fig after taking a punter round the block or moved around the lot etc?? Great cars though 🙂

On the mpg- who cares though. If you drive on average 10k a year or less its not really an issue as you have the enjoyment factor. As stated above- Mondeo's are great but they are chosen by Taxi drivers for a reason.

DavidB
    Free Member

When bought from a showroom, you get the Mazda quick start pack which includes the cold start/stop procedure.

stumpy01

hora….who cares about mpg……

I do.

600 miles/week commuting coming out of my wallet.

At 22mpg (RX-8) that would cost me £126.30/week
    At 58mpg (Ibiza 1.9TDI) it costs me £47.90/week

assuming both fuels are £1.02 which they are where I fill up currently.

But, of course if you are buying a car like the RX-8 you aren't so bothered by fuel consumption & you perhaps wouldn't buy it if you relied on it as a mile muncher. Although my mates Corolla T-Sport (198bhp) with variable cam thingies that doesn't really get going until 5 or 6k rpm – he still manages to get 40mpg out of it on his commute and it's no slouch.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It's great isn't it – a modern car that needs special treatment when turning the engine off.

What next? Double declutching?

hora
    Free Member

stumpy01- thats 28k a year abit more than say the 10k I do!!!

My car has a official average of c30mpg. So I get 34mpg on average…..I sit at 4,000revs on the motorway, hold my gears for a longtime before shifting up (its a slow car), rarely hit 5th gear (car has little torque etc) and drive more urban than motorway- what gives?!!

STATO
    Free Member

At 22mpg (RX-8) that would cost me £126.30/week

The very fact you actually bothered to work that out should tell you this is the wrong sort of car for you, for a start it dosnt have an Anorak hook in the back 😆

hora
    Free Member

Whats the VED?

sofatester
    Free Member

Whats the VED?

It's a colour the Germans paint there cars.

hora
    Free Member

sofatester 😆

stumpy01

hora – that's just commuting too!!

Stato – with a name like stato I'd have thought you'd be quite impressed with a fuel economy statistic.
    And (600/22)*4.54*1.02 takes about 10s to calculate so it wasn't a huge drain on my day! 🙂

Speaking of anoraks, I'd have thought that the RX-8 would in fact be the perfect anorak car…..ooooh, my car doesn't have ordinary pistons, it's like a chamber with a thing in that rotates around the chamber kinda forming the pistons as it goes…….snore……oh, and did I mention the extremely clever rear doors that open the other way……….erm…..you appear to have drowned in your beer

STATO
    Free Member

Stato – with a name like stato I'd have thought you'd be quite impressed with a fuel economy statistic

I only have a cycle anorak im affraid, i dont have a car so no need for a car anorak 😀

ooooh, my car doesn't have ordinary pistons, it's like a chamber with a thing in that rotates around the chamber kinda forming the pistons as it goes…….snore……oh, and did I mention the extremely clever rear doors that open the other way……….erm…..you appear to have drowned in your beer

Yes i do like that from an anoraks perspective but the RX-8 was SO GIRLY that no anoraks actually bought them, although i think there is a new-zeland sheep farmer (surprise) who put a rotary into a vauxhall chevete chasis so its still appropriate anorak pub banter somewhere (i admit i may have inherited some car anorak genes)

DavidB
    Free Member

I'll be telling my Grandchildren I drove a Wankel, couldn't really go through my car owning career without ticking that box. It bloody flew round the Nurburgring.

Doubt you'll sit little Johnny on your knee and say "Lad, let me tell you about the time I owned a [insert insipid front wheel drive pile of crap here]" 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chasing Boxsters were you DavidB?

DavidB
    Free Member

No, getting hammered by GT3's. Boxter drivers were all walking their poodles in the car park

cynic-al
    Free Member

🙄 Is this a Top gear forum or something? Quite a few walking cliches on here today!

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Mazda RX-8’ is closed to new replies.