Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Mazda 323 GTI Anyone remember them from the 1980s ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

So my quest for my midlife crises could almost be over…

An old school friends father is retiring from driving he’s in his 80s back when we were at school he bought him self a Mazda 323 GTI at the time and still now it looked the dogs…

Its mine if i want it one owner imaculate condition full history…

Gave a gt turbo a run for its money back in the day…

looks like this but his one is totally original and in white

http://www.jdmpassion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6107&sid=8f63bd12fc0d0756beaa89748eef66b8

Anyone remember them/owned one ?

althepal

Nice!

amplebrew

I remember the 323 4×4 turbo.

There used to a white one near to where I lived years ago.

I seem to recall it being a bit of a ‘Q’ car.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

this one is a Greg
    looks as if parts are still available and only 43 left on the road !

bigyinn
    Free Member

Properly quick little cars in their day. Singletrackmind on here used to have a modified one in the past.
    I’ve got a t registered one (not a turbo tho) here, yaawn.

yetidave
    Free Member

Mates dad had one of these 323 4×4 dohc, broke it over a humpback bridge going a little too fast

singletrackmind

Correctomundo bigyinn.
    I ran 2 323 4×4 turbos.
    One as a road car , then another as a track car.

Basic as 80’s turbo instal as the technology wasnt where it is today.
    Tweaked mine to 189bhp , was fast as stripped 100kg of weight out of it too .

Never had a 323 Gti . Rear arches go rotton , as do the turrets at the back. Good engine the 1.6 16v B6 .

h4muf
    Free Member

I had a 323 4×4 Turbo too! Bits were very expensive!

amplebrew

I always wanted a Toyota Corolla GTI-16 when I was younger.

grtdkad
    unfitgeezer
    Free Member

so what do you think its worth ?

1 owner fsh great condition 70000 on the clock

carbon337
    Free Member

Id have this instead: Mk2 Gti 8v

I had one of these Citroen AX GT It was a cracking little car but a bit prone to rust. Boot was plastic. Wouldnt fancy crashing one. There were tales of a young lad in the NE crashing one and being beheaded which was always in the back of my mind whilst owning it.

and just for laughs : Audi RS2 ’91

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I’ve had golf gti’s in the past

singletrackmind

In that video you have both models of the 4×4 . Bf and Bg
    Bf were 1.6 ihi vj9 turbo , BG 1.8 ihi vj20. The newer shape was available in 2 power levels. The GTX at 150bhp , with a smaller turbo ,and the GTR with a big turbo and 180bhp. The big turbo models were detuned and a few changes release 300bhp.
    BG models got viscous diffs and BF’s only had open diffs.
    Crownwheel and transfer box failures plus the handicap of being classed with the 2l cars meant the car never had the success it should of been capable of.

legend
    Free Member

If you do buy the Mazda, please ditch the Halfords wheels.

How much power did it have btw? Edit: question answered

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

legend- it has the original alloys on, the link is not the car

singletrackmind

Opposite lock as the track went straight on and we definatly wern’t.

legend
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member
    legend- it has the original alloys on, the link is not the car

oh aye, missed that comment in the original post

jamj1974

Great cars back in the day!

amplebrew

unfitgeezer – Member
    so what do you think its worth ?

1 owner fsh great condition 70000 on the clock

I’d imagine it’s hard to put an exact value on; depending on how much you’ve got the hots for it.

A Mazda 323 GTI is not the first hot hatch of that era that springs to mind; so I’d expect it to be cheap.

hughjengin
    Free Member

Yep, had a 323 gt , cracking little car. Also had a Fiat Uno turbo that was nuts 🙂

murf
    Free Member

My mate had one, earlier 1600 model, stripped out and running leda coilovers. A very capable little car indeed.
    I would have bought it from him but i couldn’t get a replacement interior so had nowhere to put tbe wee ones baby seat!

Neil-F
    Free Member

I had the BG 323F GT, the pop up light one, everything the same as the GTi hatch except the body and interior. Easily the best car I’ve ever owned, fantastic 1840cc engine that revved to 7800rpm.
    Mine:

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I learnt to drive in my gran’s 323 GLC, and she would occasionally loan it to me once I had my licence. I was too young to fully appreciate the package – 1.6 engine and RWD, all I knew is was that I loved driving what was by then a nearly 20 year old car. It was given to my brother after she died, but he didn’t have it long before it got stolen. I wasn’t happy.

Duffer
    Free Member

I had the BG 323F GT, the pop up light one, everything the same as the GTi hatch except the body and interior. Easily the best car I’ve ever owned, fantastic 1840cc engine that revved to 7800rpm.

That’s the same as the one i had! It was my first car, bought for £450 with 160k on the clock. I only had it for a year until the boot floor rusted though, but i thoroughly enjoyed every minute! Only 130bhp if i remember rightly, but it didn’t weigh much – especially at the back, which made it prone to swapping ends in the wet!

When all my mates had 1.2 Novas and Saxos, i had that beastie! Happy memories!

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve got a 1.8 BJ in black, needs a good wash. Ok I suppose.

Did they do a V6 one like they did in the MX3?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

You may also possibly be able to get classic car insurance for it too ( can be very good value) especially if you have a modern second car.

Have a read/join an owners club maybe too.

Friend took me out in a tiny Nissan Sunny turbo once. It was nuts. 🙂

tommyhine

I had a 323f not the fast one but standard 1.8, great car until one day it just stopped working and never lived again.
    I think it realised it had been exchanged for a new Seat Leon already and only had a week left. RIP

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

[/url]
    P1220118 by unfitgeezer, on Flickr[/img]

£220 Fully comp on classic insurance

sheep in wolves clothing couldn’t believe how much power it has on tap…

Paid £500 with every single bit of history including the original invoice

[/url]
    P1220121 by unfitgeezer, on Flickr[/img]

verses

Looks like you’ve bagged a cracking example there 🙂

I used to have one of the more recent ones – 2ltr V6 engine BH (I think) – and still miss it. Only got shot of it as I couldn’t get baby seats to fit in it properly (I don’t still bear a grudge about it to my daughter, honest…)

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

my wife “thats not a classic its a boy racer thing “

my five year old son ” wow a racing car ”

my three year old son ” a white car ”

my neighbour “can I take it for a spin I want to remember the 90’s hot hatches”

me I say its more fun than my previous Golf gti’s…

its not mid life crises car but who cares its fun !

TuckerUK
    Free Member

‘Q’ car.

Blimey, not heard that for a good few years, you must be a 70s petrol head?

Edit:

Vizard?

Walker?

C&CC?

Neil-F
    Free Member

Just for anyone with an F, or even just a passion/interest for one, I’m the president of the owners club. They’re a dying breed now, the last model was arguably the least desirable, but I’ve nonetheless had the Sport model BJ for the last 7 years. I bought this after the ^ black one. Maybe a bit “boy racer-ish” for some, but they’re good cars, very reliable…… apart from rust!

http://www.club323f.com

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Neil F – what type is the one I have ?

Any tips for it ?

iamroughrider
    Free Member

🙂

You probably know this already I guess but first thing i’d do is make sure there’s no mud build up around all the fenders and gti plastic bumper bits, and then come summer apply wax-oil underneath ( or in the doors etc) too.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

( apologies if you know again..etc..)but also worth washing road salt off from underneath and inner arches etc..once snow has gone

Neil-F
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member
    Neil F – what type is the one I have ?

Any tips for it ?

Its a BG Hatch, 1840cc GTi 129bhp, or it could be a 140bhp if its a pre February ’92 G, H or J plate model without a cat convertor.
    0-60 in about 8.2secs.
    If its a good’ un then I’d probably lower the suspension by about 30mm with good springs, renew the shocks if needed and fit a front strut bar. I’d also go with a 15 or 16″ wheel and a 205 wide tyre.
    Great cars these, the biggest problem your likely to have is rust, particularly around the rear axle fixing points and rear wheelarches. The rear strut tops can rust right round as well. They can be deceiving because the outer body panels tend to resist rust rather well. Rear brake calipers are prone to seizure and the steel sunroofs rust, which is a pest because they’re very hard to get a hold of now.
    You can get a Haynes manual for them, if your lucky enough to find one! I think its number 3455 off the top of my head. 😉

Neil-F
    Free Member

Sorry mate, just noticed you stated its a G reg…….
    Defo a future classic, the pre-cat model is much more desirable. 😀
    These engines are fantastic, the turbo model (import only) uses the same engine, except with a different compression ratio. It’ll rev to 7800rpm if you have the bottle, even though it redlines at 7k on the rev counter. Your als osafe in the knowledge that its a non-interference engine. If the camshaft belt breaks the engine will sustain no damage whatsoever. Just fit a new belt and tensioner and away you go.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

wow!!

not sure if this is any good or too general

haynes

novaswift
    Free Member

I’m sure a guy used to rally a 323 turbo at events such as the Jim Clark and others. Think his name was Peter Walker but I may be wrong. The car was rapid anyway !

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Mazda 323 GTI Anyone remember them from the 1980s ?’ is closed to new replies.