Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 323 total)
  • Mayweather Vs McGregor
  • andykirk
    Free Member

Good lord McGregor looks painfully slow and open to attack in that video. It looks like Van Heerden is taking it easy and trying to help him!

BoardinBob

It’s over a year old and very light spar. Neither looks to be taking is seriously

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Van Heerden is currently 27th in the world and was handling him comfortably.

Mayweather is far more accurate and virtually impossible to hit with anything big.

Watch interviews of boxers who’ve fought Mayweather. It’s only afterwards they realise just how frustrating it is, because it’s nigh on impossible to land anything, and they keep getting tagged in return.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrecker
    Free Member

Much as it pains me to say it (Floyd is an absolute arsehole) he will ruin Connor. I reckon he’ll make a show of it (PPV!) but I have zero doubt he could put him away in the first if he wanted to.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    …but I have zero doubt he could put him away in the first if he wanted to.

That i very much doubt, if mayweather tries to fight McGregor I suspect it’ll be a lot less one sided than it should be. Mayweather hasn’t “fought” in a long time but he has beaten a lot of people all the same.

McGregor knows how to fight, what makes this a joke* is that isn’t what Mayweather does, he’s an excellent boxer but he’s not a fighter. In the ring, under rules, Mayweather has out boxed plenty of people who fight better than he does and box very well too, McGregor only does one of those two things.

So long as Mayweather is allowed to box it should be just another day at work for him and his to loose. If he tries to fight, or gets complacent I imagine McGregor will hurt him, though maybe still not enough to win.

wrecker
    Free Member

He’s KO’d more than half of his opponents including a great many world (or former) champions. All of whom are a lot harder to hit than Connor. The difference in skill here should not be underestimated, a skill that floyd has been practicing at the highest level for over 20 years and that connor has recently taken up.
    I’d love to think that Connor has a chance, as a human being he’s a lot easier to like than floyd is.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

as a human being he’s a lot easier to like than floyd is.

So is a dalek to be honest 🙂

mooman
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

He started boxing at age 12, and was all Ireland champion. At 16 he switched to martial arts.

Where did you read this? on a MMA web page?? the same type of web pages that point to McGregors great boxing skills based on his win over Nate Diaz … and you really need to watch that to see Conors boxing skills!!! all he can throw is 2 punch combo`s at best.

Whilst his old amateur coach says he attended the amateur boxing club, and had one or two fights on small local shows, the coach also is on record as saying he lost interest with boxing fairly quickly … and if you have ever watched school boy amateur boxing its very often windmilling with very little skill … not the best background to go up against a former world champion.

People are mentioning Floyds lack of punch power – but whilst he may not have the artillery to cleanly KO Mcgregor … he most definitely has the power to get a TKO.

tpbiker
    Free Member

All this talk of mcgregors accuarace and power..

Why do you possibly think that Canelo, Del La Hoya, mosely, pac man etc etc didn’t have accuracy and power? Being able to punch is a pretty big reqirement in being a boxer after all

As for the comments about boxers not cutting weight..perhaps google canelos ring weigh when he fought floyd..

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok.

Money where mouth is time….AKA just a bit of fun.

I propose a wager. If Conor wins, then all those saying he has no chance are banned from STW for a week (midnight Sunday 27th till midnight Sunday 3rd), and if Floyd wins, then all those backing McGregor take a little holiday.

Anyone on the fence and wants to play, then just pick a side 🙂

So far, if I may be so bold I have:

Conor FTW:

Me (I think he’ll lose, but have put money on him, so might as well double down 8) )

Floyd FTW:

Lodders
    JY
    BoardinBob

BoardinBob

Add me to the Floyd list

(But I have a feeling were in for a shock)

zilog6128

Surely the wager should reflect the odds? I.e. Those backing Floyd should have a years “holiday”, should he lose! 🙂

user-removed
    Free Member

McGregor looks painfully slow

Aye he does.Frustratingly so. Annoyingly so. Sticking out that long left arm and then, BAM, there’s the right.

No hurry.

Jamie
    Free Member

Surely the wager should reflect the odds? I.e. Those backing Floyd should have a years “holiday”, should he lose!

Interesting.

Although I am not sure some big hitters could take that amount of time of arguing on the internet.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ll take those odds other Jamie. Imho, there’s not a chance in Hell (can I say Hell here) that McConner can win under these circumstances.

I mean. Here’s a guy who’s learned to defend himself with all the corners of his bony body.

Stick him in a ring with a head full of rules and regs and we’ll see what happens.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Been looking at some of McGreggors recent Insta pics, he certainly looks like a boxer now. He’s worked incredibly hard.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Although I am not sure some big hitters could take that amount of time of arguing on the internet.

Never heard of mum’s net? (Actually don’t think they’d survive).

I’ll go for Mayweather, rather than a hiatus though I’ll wager you a beer* Jamie as i think timing means I’ll be having one anyhow.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have no follow through, so will probably have forgotten all about it by the weekend.

firestarter
    Free Member

Hope conor does it my money’s on him anyway

pondo

Add me to Team Floyd FTW – despicable person but just cannot see McGregor landing anything to make a difference. Floyd’s like Neo, he can damn-near slip a bulley. 🙂

Sure I read that AJ is open to the idea of fighting someone from MMA on a no submissions basis. That’d be more interesting. 🙂

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

We know what the verdicts going to be, but if McGregor puts him on his arse the boxing world will be turned upside down. Come on lad!

jimjam
    Free Member

I couldn’t bet against McGregor, it would be unpatriotic and a betrayal of the martial arts 🙂

I had money on him as soon as the betting lines came up on William Hill. I don’t believe that he will actually win, a boring decision loss or late tko seems more likely but I can visualize several ways that he can engage Floyd.

Not sure I’ll take a week off posting. As someone else pointed out Mayweather is a “certainty” so it’s not a fair bet.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I propose a wager. If Conor wins, then all those saying he has no chance are banned from STW for a week (midnight Sunday 27th till midnight Sunday 3rd), and if Floyd wins, then all those backing McGregor take a little holiday.

How can I say told you so if you are not here?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Mcgregor actually looking ok in videos I’ve seen. Hes clearly not a bad boxer im the grand scheme of things

If this was against someone for the british title I’d think he’d have a chance, but he wouldn’t be the favourite

Now look at it the other way.. the current british Light Middle champ is a chap named Liam wiliams as I recall. Would anyone honestly give him a prayer if he fought Mayweather.

As with any sport , its all about levels. Showing you can compete against a complete non punching washed up ex fringe word class fighter in sparring bears absolutly no relation whatsoever to taking on what is IMO one of the top ten PFP fighters of all time, and certainly in the top 3 of the past 25 years.

People seem to think that his unorthodox style is going to cause Mayweather problems. If unorthodox styles meant you could beat top boxers we’d have had many more unorthodox world champs..and mcgregor is no Prince nas after all.

this is what usually happens to unorthodox boxers..:-)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcFzC26v48Y[/video]

simondbarnes

Good mullet though 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUxhqsrZoBA[/video]

Junkyard
    Free Member

and definetly unorthodox right up to not knowing how to punch

pondo

Brilliant. 🙂

Edit – to TPBiker’s vid, not checked Jamie’s yet.

funkmasterp

I think surprising Mayweather with some totally weird attack is McGregor’s only possible chance to win.

pondo

Used to love that film. 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

Mayweather must be happy with McGregors promo skills. Of course he nicked them from Floyd anyway!

BoardinBob

Just caught up on the All Access stuff. They’re pitching it as Conor training his arse off and Floyd messing around with family stuff and not really training or taking it seriously 😆

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Presumably just to balance it out and make it feasible that Connor isn’t going to get beaten very quickly.

I’d say in 99 out 100 versions of fight Floyd would win. I suspect how quickly depends on if he wants to keep boxing’s reputation vaguely intact (ie win quickly) or wants to string it out for money/possible ‘rematch’ potential.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Quite an interesting back story about that bloke.

https://www.si.com/boxing/brian-sutherland-worst-boxer-ever-youtube-video

mooman
    Free Member

As much as I’d like to see Conor win – I just can’t ever imagine him winning. So it’s Floyd FTW

Every scenario is an easy win for Floyd.
    1. If decides to make a statement; he can easily get a 1st rnd TKO.
    2. If wants to humiliate Conor; he can hit him from pillar to post … and get the TKO mid rounds.
    3. If he wants a rematch he allows Conor to last till late rounds by doing very little.

I go with option 2

BoardinBob

There was a bit in the Mayweather v Alvarez fight where Canelo had been swinging at empty air for the 300th time in a row, and he just paused, visibly sighed then tried for the 301st time in vain.

Find the recent Berto interview where he talks about how hard it is to touch Floyd.

He’s the master at not taking risks. He’s not going to do an Aldo and sprint from the opening bell.

I can see Conor trying a Maidana type approach. Up close, overhand rights, trying to rough him up. By the 3rd round Floyd takes over and scores his way to a wide UD.

bodgy
    Free Member

I reckon it’ll go eight rounds . . . McGregor will KO Mayweather. There’s gonna be punches raining in from places that Mayweather doesn’t know exist – watch out for that vicious backhand.

McGregor is hungry for it, whereas it’s just a cash-cow for Mayweather.

gobuchul
    Free Member

watch out for that vicious backhand.

and the subsequent disqualification.

jimjam
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

I can see Conor trying a Maidana type approach. Up close, overhand rights, trying to rough him up. By the 3rd round Floyd takes over and scores his way to a wide UD.

I think by round three we’ll be lucky if there’s been a punch thrown in anger, a lengthy feeling out process would seem more likely with Floyd trying to get an idea of McGregor’s speed and his reactions to feints and Conor trying to do the same to Floyd.

mikey3
    Free Member

Ultimate surrender.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 323 total)

The topic ‘Mayweather Vs McGregor’ is closed to new replies.