Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 323 total)
  • Mayweather Vs McGregor
  • marcfoy89
    Free Member

Hi there is a group of us going camping near coniston this weekend, just wondering if there is anywhere in coniston that would be likely to show the fight.

nickc

fight?

I’m not sure that’s the right word for it…

Jamie
    Free Member

Enjoy the camping, and watch the highlights the next day.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Who? Nevererdovem.

seosamh77
    Free Member

you do know the fight will be about 5am. aye?

Jamie’s advice is correct.

plyphon
    Free Member

Just watch one of the inevitable shaky facebook live streams on your phone like the rest of us

frogrocket
    Free Member

We watched the AJ Klitschko fight in Ambleside and plenty of folk had come over from Coniston. Taxis back were a bit limited.

Best of luck!

tomhoward

Tickling competition?

loddrik
    Free Member

Just avoid it and wait for GGG vs Canelo instead. A proper fight!!!

johndoh
    Free Member

just wondering if there is anywhere in coniston that would be likely to show the fight.

It’s likely to be on *VERY* late/early (depending on how you look at it) so I doubt anywhere’ll be staying open for it? The main event doesn’t even start until 4am so it’ll likely to be 5am before the fight starts. And it’ll be 5.01am when McGregor is put on his arse.

jimjam
    Free Member

tomhoward – Member

fight?

Tickling competition? [/quote]

Boxing match. If it was a fight Conor would tear him limb from limb while waving to the crowd.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mayweather won
    it was a defensive masterclass
    Connor got schooled
    Not much happened
    Won on points

Your welcome

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

Mayweather won
    Connor got schooled
    Not much happened
    Won on points

Your welcome

You must have bet the house then?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

And it’ll be 5.01am when McGregor is put on his arse.

Can’t see that myself, surely it’ll be a bit like a bull fight? Designed so there can really only be one winner unless something goes wrong, largely a spectacle of watching a big animal bloke get slowly tortured and worked over until the inevitable happens.

That or McGregor is going to get angry about getting hit really hard and not really being able to fight back, loose composure, and in a few moments of not boxing, break mayweather very badly.

I may be wrong of course but it rarely helps to be the best hockey player on the rugby field.

(I should point out, I’m working on the theory this is all about the money, that’s why McGregor is doing it, there’s a lot more money in boxing, given he’s in it for the money if McGregor was a good boxer that’s what he would be doing all the time)

And to answer the op, live stream if you can be bothered waiting up, personally i wouldn’t, just watch the highlights.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You must have bet the house then?

at odds of 4/1 on when connor is 49/1 surely its you that should be taking this great opportunity for wealth enhancement

I dont bet but if i did i would bet loads on Mayweather as its as close to a certainity as you can get

I actually favour loss by disqualification – say connor “winning” but breaking the rules – so we can have this farce fight all over again as it is just about the money

Its not a sporting contest anymore than the all Blacks taking on the Superbowl winners at Rugby would be a contest. Granted boxing is one sport when you can get lucky and win but Mayweather is the best defensive boxer currently so that is remote. Plenty of better fighters have tried to knock his block off unsuccessfully and I see no reason to think a less skilled opponent will manage it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Mayweather won
    Connor got schooled
    Not much happened
    Won on points

Your welcome

Quoted….for y’know. Just in case 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

We shall see but i dont even really think he has a fighters chance in the traditional sense of the word

He may get lucky but i just cannot see it personally

of ll the boxer to KO with a lucky punch you dont start with Mayweather

Khan , the glass chinned wonder, is my advice 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

For me, the only way it is going to last more than a round is if Mayweather decides to style it out and put on a show, which he may well do as he knows it is about the money and if he wants any further pay days it wouldn’t make financial sense to walk in there and flatten McConnor inside the first minute which I am certain he could do if he wanted.

jimjam
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

at odds of 4/1 on when connor is 49/1 surely its you that should be taking this great opportunity for wealth enhancement

I don’t profess to known what’s going to happen, or certainly don’t feel that I can predict it with the certainty of others.

I dont bet but if i did i would bet loads on Mayweather as its as close to a certainity as you can get

It’s almost as if you’re ignoring the chance of free money. Strange.

Its not a sporting contest anymore than the all Blacks taking on the Superbowl winners at Rugby would be a contest.

A flawed analogy like all the other Sport a vs Sport B analogys because only combat sports have knockouts.

johndoh

walk in there and flatten McConnor inside the first minute which I am certain he could do if he wanted.

Jesus Christ.

nickc

If it was a fight Conor would tear him limb from limb while waving to the crowd.

but it’s not, so your point is a bit moot, no? I’m sure McGregor will give it a go, and fair play, if he lands a couple on Mayweather most folk will be pretty impressed.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

A flawed analogy like all the other Sport a vs Sport B analogys because only combat sports have knockouts.

Maybe try MMA vs Tai Chi then.

Outcome is exactly the same as is likely here.

(Except, obviously, the other way around, point being playing by the wrong rules rarely does anyone any favors)

Junkyard
    Free Member

I don’t profess to known what’s going to happen, or certainly don’t feel that I can predict it with the certainty of others.

I agree 😉

It’s almost as if you’re ignoring the chance of free money. Strange

It’s almost as if you’re ignoring my answer. Strange

A flawed analogy like all the other Sport a vs Sport B analogys because only combat sports have knockouts

and you said my answer was weak 😛
    And Mayweather has been knocked out how many times exactly?
    And MMA has submissions so that cannot work either.

I get the point that you will only change your view if i bet everything i own on the outcome which is clearly a rational position to maintain and not at all setting the bar too high

As i said on the other threads I have done a bit of both and there is no way an MMA fighter stands a chance against a pure boxer [ assuming same skill level and Mayweather is probably a better boxer than Connor is MMA ist [ though he is exceptional] and the only people arguing otherwise are folk who dont understand boxing or MMA.
    I dont have time to educate you all ,so you believe[ or wait], and we can chat after the fight about what happened.

Plenty here for me to be either gloating or stuffing my face on humble pie

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

stuffing my face on humble pie

Is that fully encased in pastry or does it qualify for the shepherds’ exception?

Junkyard
    Free Member

It will need to be a minimum of double crust and quite possibly triple crust

Might even get a GIF from Jamie

poah
    Free Member

people are actually going to watch this farce?

Jamie
    Free Member

people are actually going to watch this farce?

Yup.

It’s just a bit of fun.

…and it helps Floyd pay off his tax bill.

Junkyard
    Free Member

everyone but the boxing fans 😉

joeydeacon
    Free Member

It’ll last a reasonable length of time as Mayweather doesn’t take risks. But there will only be one winner, either late stoppage or easy points for Mayweather. If Canelo, Pacquiao, Hatton etc couldn’t land a single meaningful shot in 34 rounds, then McGregor doesn’t stand a chance.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m interested to know why MMA fans seem to think Mayweather would be killed to death in seconds if it was an MMA fight. Do you think Mayweather is completely incapable of learning new tricks

Junkyard
    Free Member

because the fight would consist of this
    1. Kick his knee
    2. Take him down
    3. Tap him out

the reason is the same as this way round its a different skill set needed for each art

Trust me I have done MMA and i faced a boxer and the boxer tried MMA

the results are very very predictable

Some of those fighting were vastly more skilled than i am and he was a decent amateur level boxer with a few pro fights
    You cannot hit them cleanly and everything else you can do is not allowed

For a boxer doing MMA all your skills are negated by the MMA keeping too far a distance between you and still being able to both kick you and take you to the ground to win comfortably.

Mayweather would last about a minute tops in MMA even after a years training with someone of Connors skill level at MMA. He would have even less chance than Connor and in that fight scenario I will bet my house

joeydeacon
    Free Member

He wouldn’t be killed, just kicked, taken down and submitted pretty quickly.. he wouldn’t be able to learn enough of the various disciplines in one training camp..

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Assuming that they are both fighting to boxing rules…

Mayweather will prove too skillful for McGregor. McGregor will find himself suffering from the restriction to a reduced skill base.

Mayweather will win by points (more likely) or a knockout (possibly).

If McGregor were fighting Mayweather in his pomp, it would go about two rounds.

Selah.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s a shame that floyd even signed up for this nonsense. Although he just sees it as an easy payday I guess.

He is a truly magnificent boxer. The argument as to whether he would last a minute in a mma fight is what should be argued on junior school playgrounds everywhere. Anyone with half a brain shouldn’t even engage in that sort of crap.

And McGregor won’t even land a clean shot on floyd, unless he lets him to keep the crowd hyped. And even if he did, he has a good chin, he’s just way too skilled to ever let anyone get anywhere near testing it out.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I won’t be watching it seems a foregone conclusion. Mayweather is not easy to KO or hit in the first place. Will be like the Vitali Klitschko vs Samuel Peter fight, a boxing lesson for McGregor.

Mayweather love him or hate him is a force of nature. Reminds me of a large predatory fish! Opportunistic hunters that waste as little energy as possible, only striking when an opportunity is in range of their senses, decisively finishing prey in seconds, then back to doing very little.

mikey3
    Free Member

They have to make it close,may even get together and arrange for mayweather to touch a glove to the canvas one time,its all about that rematch,mind you mcgregors fitness was appalling in the diaz fights,no way he could last 36 minutes.

Jamie
    Free Member

26/08/2017

The Day Boxing Died.

8)

muggomagic

Mayweather is a massive favourite and a classy boxer. I don’t see McGregor getting close enough to him to do anything meaningful, but there’s just this nagging doubt at the back of my mind that there’s just something about McGregor and his self confidence that gives him the ability to achieve what most right minded people think is beyond him.
    Like I say, if I were having a meaningful bet on this I’d say Mayweather on points, but like McGregor is doing taking this fight, I might just take a punt and see what happens.

jimjam
    Free Member

P-Jay – Member

I’m interested to know why MMA fans seem to think Mayweather would be killed to death in seconds if it was an MMA fight. Do you think Mayweather is completely incapable of learning new tricks

loddrik

The argument as to whether he would last a minute in a mma fight is what should be argued on junior school playgrounds everywhere. Anyone with half a brain shouldn’t even engage in that sort of crap.

Unfortunately the majority of people believe McGregor is little more than a “cage fighter” or some kind of tough man. Some kind of brawler. Even knowledgeable boxers, people who have been cited as credible voices have mentioned that they expect he will use groin kicks or resort to headbutts (because they believe that’s his background).

Offline almost every casual fan or chat I’ve had has been utterly, utterly clueless (outside of the gym).

So to P-Jay, Brazilian Jiujitsu, wrestling and kickboxing are not tricks. They are technical skillsets that take as long to learn as boxing and they all negate boxing. Even a whitebelt in bjj would take Floyd down, hold him down easily, then break his limbs or choke him unconscious although he’d probably panic tap as soon as he got taken down.

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of bets on it and all for a mac win, it’s win win for him he can’t lose

Junkyard
    Free Member

how does he win if he loses?

Do you mean its a great pay day whatever happens?

I dont think either fighters legacy is going to be enhanced by this “fight”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 323 total)

The topic ‘Mayweather Vs McGregor’ is closed to new replies.