Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Mayhem – month to go
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Ought to try riding the bike…

Anyhow, question in mind – any course intel kicking arund yet?

Particularly on that bloody run. Not sure who to “nominate” for lap 1

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

It was about 2.5 k last year, I just walked it.

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t see it being that long again, don’t think folk were happy last year!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rkk01
    Free Member

Is anyone ever happy with the run…?

neil853
    Free Member

I’m doing our run this year, last year our quickest rider did it and it nearly ruined him 🙂

letmetalktomark

I am NOT doing the run.

Delegated to another team member 😆

Phil_H

I did the “run” last year. It turned into a hobble as I twisted my ankle about 3/4 of the way round 🙄
    It’s someone elses turn this year.

shortcut

The run is the best bit of it. Providing you get someone else to do it – as I have.

As for the purse there are usually 3 climbs – maybe 4. Some nice single track bits and the slightest possibility of some mud!

It should be fun!

MrsToast
    Free Member

We have a MM first timer who’s actively volunteering to do the run! 😀

Dimmadan
    Free Member

No intel yet, but there was a big hoo har about the distance of the run.
    As for the course it is normally designed a few weeks before as the weather plays a big part in deciding where is safe to ride up and down.
    Hence why last year they were worried about rain so kept all the good decents as climbs and tried to avoid the sections that got super muddy like 3 years ago by the top pond.

I would like to see them go back to the course of 3 years ago where the main climb was at the back of the campsite. That lap was just right for all abilities and it also didn’t have that stupid clay/sticky mud wood about 1M into the course which is just a bottle neck.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Our youngest team member has been voluntered to do he run, he’s 10 years younger than me (next youngest) and used to play rugby so it’s his go 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“As for the course it is normally designed a few weeks before as the weather plays a big part in deciding where is safe to ride up and down.”

Why though, surely rain just makes fun DH sections more interesting, not dangerous!

The thing that I thought was poor last year was the layout of the start/finish area. In years gone by its always appeared more central and involved when its been at the opposite end of the campsite to where it was last year ie it should be down by the lake. Last year it just appeared a bit out of the way, and therefore people not involved in riding didnt spend much time there.

Oh and could they get 1000 people to ride it the day before so that all the horrible grass sections are at least warn down or turned to mud.

Re the run – Your all soft 😆 mate in our team one the Friday night run round the whole course, and then did the first lap too on the Saturday… was still quicker than the team mates all race 😯

cakefacesmallblock

Couldn’t get a team member interested in doing the run last year, so, despite doing a little gentle “running” maybe once a week, I decided to go out on the thursday before the event and put an extra session in. Ended up tearing a calf muscle and one of the others had to do ir anyway. I was sore all bloody weekend and properly pissed off on the bike.

rkk01
    Free Member

‘spose i had better start rooting around for all the camping gear as well…

Didn’t get to MM last year, so camping gear has been dispersed within the landfill site that we call a garage

cakerider

i “ran” with Phil_H last year as opted for solo, back in team this year and agreed to do the run, thought I would have learnt by now!

gee
    Free Member

[curse]We must be due a hot one….[/curse]

You know it’s crazy – I’ve done 10 Mayhems now and I still get super-excited about it every year. Sad I suppose.

GB

AndrewJ
    Free Member

As for the course it is normally designed a few weeks before as the weather plays a big part in deciding where is safe to ride up and down.

This is why I stopped doing the Mayhem. The courses seemed to get more and more boring as the event started to cater for the entry level/team of ten/fun rider!

Why though, surely rain just makes fun DH sections more interesting, not dangerous!

+1

Drillski
    Free Member

yep, our runner was not impressed, as we had promised him aeound 800m 😀

Would really like to see the finish into the arena coming in DOWNHILL, as has been the tow recedign years, unlike last years which was a dull uphill grassly slog to finish on a low note for the lap, by comparison with the full on brilliant descent into the arena of the previous years.

will
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to this so much! we’ve got a strong team, and i’ll be riding a new bike 😀 I’m expecting a weekend of fun! Counting down the days 😆

Ow yeah, just to get you in the mood when the 24hr time period clicks over!

njee20
    Free Member

Assume you’re running Gee?! Never done a 24 with you where you haven’t! Don’t change tyres just before hand.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Mayhem – month to go’ is closed to new replies.